World Families Forums - Sheets Lines -- Sheets in Canada

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 10, 2014, 08:26:49 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'S'
| | |-+  Sheets (Moderator: Paul Sheats)
| | | |-+  Sheets Lines -- Sheets in Canada
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sheets Lines -- Sheets in Canada  (Read 1134 times)
Paul Sheats

« on: October 14, 2006, 10:02:14 AM »

These series of "Sheets Lines" threads I have created to help identify and outline the various Sheets lines we know about today, thanks to those researchers who have gone before us, and also those among us today who continue the search.

Sheets Lines -- Sheets in Canada

What I know of these Sheets families was found mainly in census and vital statistics records for Ontario, and is based on my own research.  The early Sheets in Canada settled mainly in Stormont county, in the townships of Cornwall and Osnabruck in the late 1700s.  They were United Empire Loyalists at the time of the Revolutionary war.  It is thought that Jacob Sr. and family came from the Mohawk Valley (Scoharie?) New York.

Update:

I just recently found a couple early documents that helped me link most of the Canadian lines on the Misc. page ( http://worldfamilies.net/surnames/s/sheets/misc.html )

These sources are as follows:

3 Apr 1790 Muster Roll
http://globalgenealogy.com/globalgazette/List001/list47.htm

Here are the pertinant records from the above link.  I added the estimated birth dates in parenthesis.  The first number is the man's age as of 3 Apr 1790.  The five binary digits at the end of each line indicate the following:   married, single, absent during roll taking, infirm, and "Fusils" (ie. a light flintlock musket).  "1" means yes, "0" means it was left blank.

28 (b c1762), William Sheets, Royal Regiment of New York, 1,0,0,0,1. 
   26 (b c1764), Jacob Sheets, Royal Regiment of New York, 0,1,0,0,0.
   25 (b c1765), George Sheets, Royal Regiment of New York, 0,1,0,0,0.
   19 (b c1771), David Sheets, U.E., 0,1,0,0,0.
   75 (b c1715), Jacob Sheets, U.E., 0,0,0,1,0.

So, from this, we can see William was married, and had a Fusil.  The rest were not married.  Jacob was infirm.

Loyalists in Canada (book at ancestry.com)

This work was compiled by William D. Reid during his employment at the Ontario Archives, and was published in 1973 by Hunterdon House, Lambertville, New Jersey.
To paraphrase, basically, there were provisions in place for the children of the Loyalists who originally settled in Ontario to be eligible for land grants as they came of age or were married.  As the time came when the children petitioned for the land grants they were entitled to, a notation was made with the council of Upper Canada.  These records prove invaluable, as they record the children of those loyalist soldiers, the earliest settlers, who served in the Revolutionary war. 

From the records cited in the above sources, in conjunction with other early records,  I was able to determine, with reasonable confidence, those missing connections that relate most of the Canadian lines that were established via census and vital statistic records listed on the Misc. page of this project. 

If anyone has knowledge leading to any discrepancies based on the conclusions I've drawn based on the above mentioned sources (including census and vital statistics records), the results of which are shown on the Misc. page of this project, I would love to hear from you!  Please email me at:  Paul_Sheats@earthlink.net

« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 09:45:50 PM by SheetsAdmin » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 20 queries.