World Families Forums - Allen actually a Singleton

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 07, 2016, 05:19:23 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'S'
| | |-+  Singleton (Moderator: Sarah Singleton)
| | | |-+  Allen actually a Singleton
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Allen actually a Singleton  (Read 1210 times)
suzanne cook

« on: January 24, 2015, 10:59:58 PM »

My dad was yDNA tested at FTDNA.  His surname is Allen but it looks like we are in actuality Singletons.  He had one Allen match who says he is also a Singleton.  I've emailed him to get more info but I don't think he is going to reply.  I've found his tree on Ancestry but it hasn't helped find out where the NPE is.  I'm a member of the Allen project and the admins there are helping me, but I haven't yet figured it out.  I am hoping someone here can help me.  I'm holding off telling my dad about it in hopes that I can get some more info.  TIA.

Suzanne Allen Cook
martinj

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 04:27:52 PM »

Hi Suzanne,

Did you get an expected Haplogroup from FTDNA for your father? it would be interesting to see into which possible Singleton branch he might fit.

Best Wishes,

Martin
suzanne cook

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 04:43:31 PM »

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply. His haplogroup is R-P312.

Suzanne Allen Cook
martinj

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 04:34:16 PM »

Hi Suzanne,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

P312 is a very large group covering many European groups. FTDNA will assign such a group where there is insufficient detail in the results, such as where the test was only 37 markers and sometimes 67 markers. Have you compared the STR results with those shown on the Y-Results page of this website, to see which group your dad most closely resembles?

Best Wishes,

Martin
suzanne cook

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 10:46:44 PM »

Hello Martin, I apparently didn't realize I had another reply here. My dad is #361978 in group R1b lineage 1. He tested at 67 and his top 4 matches are Singletons, one at 0 and three at 1. The match right below him on the yDNA list is his only Allen match and he says he also has a Singleton NPE. I've been unable so far to connect his Robert Oden Allen to our Allens. My belief is that the NPE happened in Virginia. That's the only way I can make sense of the matches. There are several I've communicated with whose Singletons were from Kentucky, as was Robert Oden Allen. A branch of my Allens went from Virginia to Kentucky. My branch went to Georgia. Anyway, I'm still searching.

Suzanne Allen Cook
martini

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 05:29:47 AM »

Hello Suzanne,

Apologies for the delay in replying. The fact that you had some matches at 67 markers is pretty good evidence of a Singleton ancestor. I had no matches at 67 with even a confirmed Singleton relation (confirmed via Y SNP testing)! I compared the results of your father's kit number with the others on the FTDNA Singleton page, and the R1b Lineage 1 looks like a very close fit - they are probably the matches that you spoke about. If you are keen to follow things up with a further test, there is a "R_R1b ALL Subclades" project on FTDNA, from which you can ask advice. I noticed that they have a P312 SNP pack test that will identify lower levels in the Y DNA hierarchy and link you eventually to other lines.

Best Wishes,
Martin Singleton
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 19 queries.