World Families Forums - Q and A for FTDNA Surname Project administrators

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 14, 2014, 03:21:16 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Q and A for FTDNA Surname Project administrators
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Q and A for FTDNA Surname Project administrators  (Read 21605 times)
Ron

« on: April 13, 2006, 03:36:32 PM »

I became my project Administrator (Chesnayadmin) in Sep 2005. Today I ordered a Y-DNA test kit. I also noted that I am also listed as a "member" under the name Ron.
I am a bit confused. Why is this?

Le mieux que je puisse
Joe Keith

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 08:41:39 AM »

How do I obtain I obtain Family Tree release forms?

Hi Joe, I merged your Topic with this more general one.  I hope that's ok.  Here is the link to the FTDNA release form.

http://www.familytreedna.com/release.html

A release form also comes with each test kit.

Terry
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 02:38:37 PM by terry » Logged
MARY GAY WHITEHEAD
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 09:22:54 PM »

why do i have to wait for permission to order a kit for my husband's family WHITEHEAD?
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 11:28:43 AM »

The admin is in charge of his(her) project.

Some project admins choose this approach to have an element of control over participation.  I have tried it (briefly), but feared it was keeping away participants and discontinued.  However, I have co-admins within the WorldFamilies.net system who use this approach quite effectively.

Generally, I think they do this because a number of folks are confused about what surname project they can appropriately test in and it avoids having those folks in the project.  (A lot of people want to be in the project with their great-grandmother's surname - and that doesn't help anyone)

My personal preference is to leave the project open to anyone and to then  discuss where the new participant should appropriately be if their surname is different from the project surname.  If their surname is the same as the project, they are welcome in projects that I administer.

Other admins insist on a pedigree from anyone who tests, or on a specific number of markers to be ordered before allowing a participant into the project.

The Whitehead project is not in the WorldFamilies.net system, but we will provide them a website and place on the forum at their admin's request.

Hope this helps.  Terry
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 12:08:15 PM »

Hi Ron.  I checked the Chesnay project - where you are co-admin and your email address is listed in the contacts (along with mine)

You are listed with your full name in the Member listing, as are all participants who have ordered a kit.  I did not see anywhere where you are listed as "Ron" - except as the admin on the WorldFamilies.net pages..  Can you let me know where it is that you are talking about?

Terry
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 12:14:44 PM »

I have started this thread for the use of administrators.  Hopefully, posting questions and answers here will provide answers to more than one admin.

Any admin is welcome to post a query - or answer any admin's query.  (Note if you post as a member, you will be able to edit your posting later.  But, if you post as a guest, you will not.)

I have prepared a page with my general thoughts about being an administrator (particularly within the projects operating from WorldFamilies.net and WFNForum).

http://www.worldfamilies.net/admin.htm

Terry
Paul_Sheats

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 02:22:55 PM »

Okay, here's my first question:

I just tried sending a bulk email to members (via the FamilyTree DNA Group Admin pages), and I don't think
it got sent.   At least I haven't received the email, since I am a project member.  Does this option work?
And who appears as the "From" email when a bulk message is sent?

Thanks.
Paul
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 02:33:36 PM »

Hi Paul.  I have successfully used this feature, as have several of the other admins.

There are two lines for email addresses in the "Update Contact Information" section.  The email address in the upper line is the "from address". I believe that the email is "from" the name in the listed in the Contact Information.  (I changed both to give you credit for any Project emails.)

I did not get a copy of your bulk email, so I suspect something went wrong.  I would suggest that you try again - and be sure that the "Copy to Group Administrator" is checked.

Terry
Paul Sheats
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 04:43:30 PM »

Terry, I just tried a test email, and it works now.  Not sure what went wrong the first time. 
Unfortunately, I lost my five or so paragraphs that I wrote originally, so I'm probably going
to take a break, re-think it, and try again later.  Thanks.  Paul
Paul Sheats
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 11:05:28 AM »

I found two Y-DNA results at ysearch for a spelling variation of my surname, and it shows both of these people tested with Family Tree DNA, however,
they are not in my Sheets project.  Can these people join my project?  If so, how do they do this without ordering a test?   Or can I do this somehow
through the admin functions?   The "Add a new member by placing an order for them" is not what I want, apparently.
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 11:43:04 AM »

Paul, I hope you have direct contact with these folks, as that makes it easier.  In their FTDNA page is a blue button labelled "join".  They can click on that button, then select the surname, then select a second join button which is lower on the page.  Or, they can send you their kit number AND code (password) and you can transfer them in, or they can call or email FTDNA and ask them to transfer them into the project.

If you found them in surname search and don't know their first name or email address, contact FTDNA and ask them to send an email to everyone with your project surname - who is not in the project - encouraging them to join.  (of course, you want to add those surnames to your project list before you do this)

Terry

Paul Sheats
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 01:29:44 PM »

Terry, through ysearch, I can click on the "contact this person" link to send an email to them.  I just wasn't sure, technically, how they would join.
I have no such join button on my personal page, is that because I don't have my results back yet?
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 07:55:51 PM »

Paul, that is correct.  You need to have your results before you can join another project or post your earliest known paternal (yDNA) and maternal (mtDNA) ancestors.  Terry
Paul Sheats
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 08:54:01 PM »

I have another question:

If I find other people with my surname in ybase, for example, who tested with DNA Heritage, can I
add them to my results page here (assuming they agree), without them having to order a test,
"convert", or "officially" join the project through FTNDA? 

Paul
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 12:26:46 PM »

Yes.  WorldFamilies.net acknowledges the need to collect all of the results for a surname in one place and encourages project administrators using our sites to do this.

My approach is to send them an empty excel spreadsheet template and ask them to put their results into FTDNA order so that I can easily copy them in to place in the master project excel spread sheet that I maintain.  This also prevents me from making a transcription error.  (I just sent you a copy of this template.)  I can send this to other admins on request.

I also assign them a project number, adding an X - to help me realize that I won't find them in the FTDNA project.  In your case, this first one would be SX-1. 

I would ask them to use that same code when they post their pedigree at the Forum.

Terry

Paul_Sheats

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 01:15:54 PM »

Thanks Terry, that's exactly what I wanted to hear!   -Paul
Paul Sheats
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 12:41:25 AM »

Okay, this is probably a rather obscure question, but...

Does anyone know if DNA Heritage once offered a 10-marker test?   I ran into a couple of DNA test results
in the "ybase" database for people with my surname (a variation in spelling), but they only show 10 markers. 

What is even stranger, is that the markers that are there, are WAY OFF compared to what I've seen for
this surname.  None of the 10 marker values match what I've seen for this surname, and they seem like
abnormally low values.  This is what it looks like (in FTDNA sequence, first 12 markers):

Schuetz (FTDNA-12)  13..23..14..10..11..14..12..12..12..13..13..29  <-- Normal
Schuetz (DNA H.-10)  09..17..11..07..08..09..XX..10..XX..09..06..25  <-- (this looks abnormal)

Are these DNA Heritage values even close to any known Haplotype?

Thanks.
Paul
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 12:53:40 AM »

Paul, these are probably from Oxford Ancestry - also in the UK.  There is a conversion somewhere.  You may be able to google to find it.  Terry
Paul Sheats
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 01:29:00 AM »

Hmmm... according to the documentation at ybase, only DYS389i and DYS389ii need conversion, which
would make those values 12 and 37 instead of 9 and 25.   Nope, that's not right, because 37 is not a
valid value for DYS389ii.   They must already be converted.   Oh well, maybe it is correct results, and
just doesn't even come close to matching the ones I've seen.

Paul_Sheats

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 08:11:45 AM »

Here's a technical tip on graphics I discovered:

If you want to spruce up the looks of your results page grid, try using the double line border in Excel.
Line thickness does not seem keep the attributes when pasting into the web editor, but the double
line boarder does.  I think it helps define various sections of your results page.  Here's a link to my
results page, so you can see what it looks like.   

http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/s/sheets/results.html
Gary Carson

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 12:00:18 AM »

I have some questions for Terry, the administrator:

How do I post a new message on this discussion board?  It seems to only allow a reply.
Is this discussion board for the Carson surname or all?
How do I update my Pedigree posted earlier (David Carson line)?  It doesn't seem to allow any corrections.

I would like to see more Carson males do the DNA Y test as there aren't many.  I'm planning to do it but would like more chances for a match.

Thanks,
Gary Carson
gkcarson@aol.com
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 06:21:59 PM »

Hi Gary.  Answers follow.

In order to find the Carson Family Board, you need to search from the "root directory" which is called "WFN Forum"

http://www.wfnforum.net

Here is the link:

http://www.wfnforum.net/index.php?topic=2376.0

In order to find the Carson Pedigree Forum, you need to search in the "Pedigree Forum" or in "WFN Forum"

http://www.wfnforum.net/index.php?board=10.0

In order to be able to edit your own posting, you must be signed in as a member and must have been signed in as a member when you posted.  (Guests have no privileges.)  Your pedigree was posted on July 26, 2005 and you were a member when you posted.  Find the "Modify" button and edit your posting.

In order to start a new discussion thread in the "General Discussion" Forum -  click on "New Topic".  If your posting is specific to the Carson family, it is appropriate to post at the Carson Family Board.

Hope this helps.

Terry

ps There are 9 members in the Carson project.  That is a nice start.   If everyone waits until there are many participants - it is likely that there will never be "many".

pps The Carson family is one that needs one or more co-administrators to join in and give more emphasis to the project.

Terry
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 10:51:47 AM »

Someone posted this query to our site:

"How can I make my results spreadsheet look as good as the one I started with on FTDNA?"

Assuming that you are posting your results on a WorldFamilies.net Results page, here is our suggestion:

Posting Results requires that you go to two sites:

1.   The FTDNA Group Admin page, where you will get the results
2.   The SiteBuilder page, where you will copy the table from your Excel spread sheet into the Results page

You will also need to open your results Excel Spreadsheet

I suggest that you not try to edit your results table in SiteBuilder at all, but delete the old table you have in SiteBuilder and replace it with a new version each time.

I encourage you to start with the Excel spreadsheet that I provide you, adding additional information and adjusting as you get more results.  In general, I group together the men who share a match or a near match.  I color their results cells in a common color, and color each mutation with a contrasting color.

Once there are two men matching at the 25 more for level, I declare a ?Lineage?.   You can see an example of a family with a number of Lineages and results at the Hodges project:

http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/h/hodges/results.html

To collect the new results, go to your FamilyTree DNA group administrator page and select

?Generate Y-DNA Results for copy & paste.?

Then, select

?Copy & Paste?

Each result will be entered on a single row.  I only copy and paste the new information that I need, leaving behind any that I have previously posted.

My recommendation is to maintain an excel spreadsheet for your results - and to save it onto your computer. Make all of your adjustments and corrections in your excel spreadsheet and when you have it "just right", save it.

Open your SiteBuilder, select the Results page and copy and paste it over the old version. (or delete the old version and paste the new version in its place.)

Be sure to save your excel spreadsheet in the "Save as type" selection right below the "File name:" into 97-2000 & 5.0/95 Workbook as this version will hold its formatting pretty well in SiteBuilder, where the "standard" Microsoft Excel Workbook" version of .xls won't hold formatting in SiteBuilder.

Terry
picnic

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2006, 11:02:35 AM »

> WorldFamilies.net acknowledges the need to collect all of the results for a surname in one place
> and encourages project administrators using our sites to do this.

As I new project adminstrator I need to learn how to do this !
I have someone who already had their DNA test done at another lab.
Please tell me exactly which "button" is used to add his results ...
I have tried and cannot find such a feature in the GAP page I was given.
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2006, 01:18:04 PM »

FTDNA provides no mechanism to add the results of a person tested elsewhere to their project website or to their project data set.

WorldFamilies.net projects collect their FTDNA results, put them into a spreadsheet, organize the results to show matching results, mark the mutations,  and then post it on their www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/*/*****/results page. 

It is pretty easy in our system to add data from a person tested at another testing company.  You simply add another row to the spreadsheet and add the new individual and his results.  In order to keep the project numbers we assign aligned with the number of folks in the project, I assign the ones not tested at FTDNA an "X-number"

Also, as I am concerned about transcribing numbers, I provide a collection table and ask the person tested at another testing company to put their results into the FTDNA sequence.

Generally, the test results from one company are consistent with another.  The most common adjustment is the need to deduct one from the results reported by  RG & DNAH for GATA-H4.  Sorenson (who does the testing for both RG & DNAH) is actually testing TAGA-H4, which always is one count larger than FTDNA's GATA-H4.

Terry
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 17 queries.