World Families Forums - Q and A for FTDNA Surname Project administrators

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 01:31:35 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Q and A for FTDNA Surname Project administrators
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Q and A for FTDNA Surname Project administrators  (Read 20184 times)
picnic

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2006, 08:36:24 AM »

TERRY!!!

When will you be answering my private email to you ???
Ken Priester
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2006, 03:34:13 PM »

I sent an e-mail to the Corley Family Administrator and it was returned. Who do I send it to, now?
picnic

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2006, 12:40:13 AM »

and then post it on their www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/*/*****/results page.?

Exactly how do I go about doing this part ?
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2006, 11:13:02 AM »

Picnic - both of your questions have been answered privately.  For other readers - I provide our Project co-admins a word.doc on posting results through our SiteBuilder tool. 

Ken, send your question directly to me or post it here.  Terry
Paul Sheats
Project Coordinator

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2006, 09:28:04 PM »

I have a technical question.? I have a WYSIWYG web editor tool (similar to MS-Front Page).? If I wanted to make changes
to my project website pages via this tool instead of using the WFN site builder tool, can I do that?? If so, what settings
would I use for the "publishing server" (ie. publishing address, user name, password) ?

Paul

Sheets DNA Project administrator
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 09:30:20 PM by SheetsAdmin » Logged
Paul Sheats
Project Coordinator

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2006, 10:08:47 PM »

Another technical problem... 

I'm having problems adding links to other websites.  In the edit link dialog box, I looked at an existing link
and it had the following:

\"\\"\\\\\\\'\\\\\\\\\\\\"http://www.wfnforum.net/index.php?topic=528.0\\\\\\\\\\\\"\\\\\\\'\\"\"

What's with all the slashes?  Any rhyme or reason to what I need to get this to work for other links?

Paul
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2006, 11:41:26 PM »

Paul, our SiteBuilder tool is acting up.  We are working on repairing it and on an alternate approach. 

You aren't able to use a different tool because it won't have access to publish.  We have to be careful about how we give edit privileges so that they don't get used to give someone intent on harm access to the entire website.

Terry
Paul Sheats
Project Coordinator

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2006, 11:51:25 PM »

Terry,

That's a bummer.  I screwed up most of my links on the home page of the Sheets project.  I thought I could fix it
going into the source code and taking out all the slashes, however, that didn't seem to work.  I hope it's fixed soon.

So, when you use FrontPage, I'm assuming you have access to publish.  That makes sense.  Too bad the admins
couldn't just have access to their own project pages.  I was hoping to use a spreadsheet for the patriarch page so
I could maintain off-line.

Paul

Paul Sheats
Project Coordinator

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2006, 11:35:52 PM »

I'm having a problem with posting messages at my surname forum.  It seems that it is eliminating some of the words and partial words that I have typed
after I post the message. 

For example, the word "" disappears altogether.  And the word "documented" becomes "doented".  It's probably a spam filter of some sort,
but how are we supposed to carry on conversations at our surname forums??  I can see eliminating the word "" if it has a space before and after it,
but when it's part of a larger word, it should leave it be.  And why is "" a keyword?  I'm offering additional discounts from my surname general
fund, so I had to revert to using the word "savings" instead.   It's pretty frustrating.

Paul 
Paul Sheats
Project Coordinator

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2006, 11:39:44 PM »

Well, I see it did it again!? ?The missing words from the above post in quotes were "d-o-c-u-m-e-n-t-e-d" and "d-i-s-c-o-u-n-t".

I'm wondering if instead of the spam filter, just make it harder to create a profile.  Maybe ask for additional information on the
profile creation that would have to make some kind of sense.?  Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud here. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 11:44:28 PM by SheetsAdmin » Logged
Paul Sheats
Project Coordinator

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2006, 12:02:06 AM »

I just checked one of the spam messages on this forum.  The email address on this user's profile is an invalid email address.

Programmatically, could the email address of a profile be sent a test message to ensure it is a valid email address before the
profile is valid to use on this forum?
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2006, 12:18:14 AM »

Paul, I made a tweak which I think will solve your problem.  Sorry for the disruptions.  I am slowing the spammers way down - but haven't been able to totally  stop them yet.  Your suggestion of validating email addresses isn't one that I have found in the tool box yet.  My skills and the tools in this forum software leave me with some tools and some gaps.  Terry
Kim Rauda

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2007, 02:32:46 PM »

I am the Project Admin for our Surname Camden and I am in the process of setting up the info on FamilyTreeDNA.  I am researching sites to host our web page for results and I see a lot of families are using your site.  Why would I want to use your site over FamilyTreeDNA's?

Thanks for your help.
Kim
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2007, 02:46:42 PM »

Hi Kim.  Many folks prefer our websites because of the additional flexibility you have in reporting results - where you can put results in the sequence you want and colorize the cells as you want.   You also have 6 pages where you can customize and present information and your own Forum.  You also have better visibility for your project, as searchers can find you both through FTDNA and through WorldFamilies.net 

Folks who prefer the FTDNA website like the fact that results can be automatically posted without admin involvement.  I consider the difficulty of reporting results so that you can tell who shares a common ancestor and who is related within that group the biggest drawback.  Very clever folks have been known to make their FTDNA pages very communicative, but most can't manage.

A third alternative is to operate from both, with the worldfamilies.net site where you send folks, where you present your best prepared information and also provide links back to the FTDNA pages, where the info is also available.  This is particularly useful for mtDNA results.

You also have a choice if you use our website of opting into our system and gaining our help and tutelage or of simply taking our free site and operating it on your own.

Hope this helps.  Terry
Kim Rauda

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2007, 03:43:58 PM »

Wow that was a quick reply, you just made my decision easier, thanks.

Kim
Kim Rauda

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2007, 04:07:03 PM »

Hi
I'm filling out the registration form and I'm not sure what I'm suppose to put in for Your Website.

Kim
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2007, 04:19:38 PM »

Kim, just thell me which surname is primary - which is the name I'll put at the top of the project pages.

Terry
Kim Rauda

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2007, 05:14:46 PM »

Terry
Thanks for all your help.  I filled out the request form, the surname is Camden.  Have not heard of any variants yet.  So will I be notified by email when my website is ready?  Oh and can we get a Camden Forum also??

Thanks
Kim
Paul Sheats
Project Coordinator

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2007, 09:07:23 AM »

If anyone is interested, I found that MS-Word tables work better than MS-Excel.  Word does not lose any formatting such as column centering.  I not only use Word tables for my results page, but for all my other pages as well.  You can customize colors in Word where you are limited in Excel.  There are many advantages to using Word tables over Excel.  For example, the underlining for links can be on specific words, instead of a whole cell in Excel.  Here's an example of my project pages:  http://worldfamilies.net/surnames/s/sheets/

Paul
Dennis McClure
Project Coordinator

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2007, 03:36:43 PM »

Terry,

Since Ancestry.com has entered the world of DNA, they have made provisions for 3rd party manual entry of test results possable. FTDNA being one of those approved at present, with others to soon follow. Some of my members will most assuredly ask my advice on the pros & cons of entering their test results at Ancestry. I would like to know what you think. I am sure there are other Admins that would like to know too.

Also, the Ancestry page is vague in how this will be displayed or used. What will we be able to do with it after we enter our results and how is it compared? Do they tie it to surnames or will you be compared to the entire database? I tried today to look for some results, but find nothing. Do you have any idea how this will work? Will they develop surname projects, compare pedigrees, etc. Or will they collect data then want to charge for access to this data? Lots of questions.

Perhaps some general guidance via e-mail to all Admins would be best? Thanks for your time.

Dennis McClure, Co-Admin McClure DNA Project
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2007, 08:57:35 PM »

Hi Dennis.  Good Question.  At this stage, I would suggest a wait and see approach to Ancestry.  Once you share the info with them, you won't be able to take it back.

Ancestry is a newcomer to genetic genealogy (though they have been a reseller of tests in the past) and their initial mis-steps in this latest endeavor are indicating that they have a lot to learn. 

There have been several major criticisms in the past about this company.  One is a concern about their approach - which has been to collect all of the information they can get their hands on and then to turn around and sell users access to it.  Another has been their provisions to provide folks with lots of ways to post information, but to provide essentially no mechanisms for changing it or for removing errors.  A third has been the inaccessibility of their management.  And, some of the admins whose information was transferred from RG have been upset by Ancestry's approach towards standards on privacy and personal discretion.

It's possible that none of these issues will emerge this time.   It's also possible that they will emerge.

When I found another recent entrant to the field of genetic genealogy a year or so ago, I was quite impressed by their beautiful website.  When I started digging around, I discovered that it was really a shell - with no folks in the projects.  Some folks got sucked in by the glitz and tested there - usually to their dismay - as they found they were all alone.  Unfortunately, we still don't allow folks tested there to transfer into our projects because we have never gotten a conversion table or any assurance that their results are repeatable.  Texans have a phrase they use for the new "cowboy" who just bought a ranch and nice, new boots and hat.  They call him "All hat and no cattle".  That applid to that firm for sure - and still does.   

I used to have to manually transfer the results provided by RG in my earliest surname projects.  I found that I made a clerical error about every 10th result - and I was experienced and very careful.  Do you expect folks who are only loading their info a single time will be as successful? 

Again - my counsel is to wait and see.  Terry
Paul Sheats
Project Coordinator

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2008, 09:57:32 PM »

I have a question about your beta site.   If we have "customized" our surname project site, will everything still work with the new site?  I am currently using Word Tables for all my pages, and I want to know if they will continue to work after the upgrade?

Thanks.
Paul
lindalathrop

"Never give up!"

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2008, 11:55:22 AM »

Hi,
I'm not sure if I post here by replying to the last message or what?

I was wondering about two things.
First: what is this BETA version and where do I find out about it?
And can any of you more experienced Surname list owners tell me if there are any sites you have discovered that
have Surname DNA results already posted that I could contact and try to get on my Hooker surname page?

I just got notified last night that our 11th member has ordered a kit and I have been "working" on that person for weeks.

I put a signature line in all my emails about the Hooker DNA Project and I also started a Hooker-North email list at Rootsweb
for the Northern Hooker lines.

I don't know what else to do to get in touch with other Hookers other than to go to the Phone book or rather phone books for all over the country and send out bulk mailings.

I thought that there has to be other Hookers that have taken the DNA test from other companies. The ones I have found don't show results unless you order a kit.

Can anyone help me out with a bit of advice.
I hate to keep bugging Terry. LOL

Thanks,

Linda Hooker Lathrop
Co-list admin
Hooker DNA Project

Linda Hooker-Farrell Lathrop

Paul Sheats
Project Coordinator

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2008, 02:02:38 PM »

Linda, I got your email this morning concerning my results page.  I will get back to you tonight.

Paul
Scott Yancey
Project Coordinator

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2008, 08:17:22 AM »

Hi Terry:

Question:

If I want to add another surname to my project, how do I do that? For example, how would I add variations of a surname? (Yancey, Yancy, Yance, etc.) How would I add another surname altogether (Yancey, Nanney, etc.)

Scott Yancey
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 18 queries.