World Families Forums - The origin of the name Purcell

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 26, 2014, 08:41:30 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'P'
| | |-+  Purcell (Moderator: PurcellAdmin)
| | | |-+  The origin of the name Purcell
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The origin of the name Purcell  (Read 4976 times)
Lisa Hawkins
« on: April 15, 2006, 07:28:52 AM »

I have been trying to find out for a few years where the origin of the name Purcell came from. Although it had been passed down in my family that they originally came from French Royalty, I did'nt believe this when I was younger, but it has subsequently been backed up by trawling the internet for information.
I know that Hugh (or William) Purcell came to England with William the Conqueror in 1066, but the question for me is how was Hugh (William) related to the French Royal family and where did the surname Purcell come from.
I finally had a bit of inspiration yesterday, could Purcell be the same as Percival?
If Hugh (William) was descended from Charlemagne who lived about 800AD, was one of Charlemagne descendents called Percival?
I know Percival was a name that was in use at the time because of such epic poems as Parzival by Wolfram von Eschenbach.
It would be very intersting to know if the Y chromosome of Purcells alive today are the same as the Y chromosome of nobility today who claim to be descended from Emperor Charlemagne, such as the Duke de Orleans.
Megan Zurawicz
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 07:51:38 AM »

Purcell comes from the middle French for "piglet": the Irish Purcell coat of arms is three boars rampant, so the awareness of that at least continued for several hundred years.

It sounds like it more likely originated as some sort of nickname, perhaps referring to one person's physical traits. (short and fat?).
Lisa Hawkins
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 07:15:33 AM »

I have read the misinformation put about by supporters of Cromwell that Purcell comes from a nickname of the word piglet. In fact one of them went so far as to write a book about how it came about.
Having researched further I am now quite sure that the surname Purcell derives from Sir Percival who lived in medieval France.
Lisa Hawkins
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 07:29:59 AM »

As for the Purcells physical traits, this is strikingly obvious when you meet them. The standard physical traits of the Purcells are to be tall and thin. Facially distinctive aswell, the face is usually angular and thin occasionally gaunt, with a long thin nose. These distinctive physical traits can be seen through many different generations and in different Purcell families, obviously not all members of the Purcell family look like this. but just when you think all members related to a Purcell family look like the non-Purcell side, one sibling is tall and thin with an angular face just like the Purcell side.
Lisa Hawkins
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 05:23:07 AM »

The Purcell coat of arms is not three boars, it is three lions.
The stone engravings are a bit worn over time and now look like pigs, but were originally lions.
jpurcell

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 06:17:01 PM »

I've heard several stories of the Origin of our name, but this is the first French Royalty story.  One is that it is derived from the Norman Pourcel meaning 'Piglet'.  I read this on purcell-usa.com about Loughmoe Castle, the area was plauged by an enormous wild boar and young Purcell slay the boar. Thus leaving Purcell in Loughmoe Castle and the Boar on our Coat of Arms.  Another is that we are Associated with the Clan Mac Donald of Scotland.  Purcell is one of the families of the Clan; moreover, members of the family MacSporran Gaelic for "bearer of the purse" changed thier name to Purcell and some of its variants.  This info is on the Clan MacSporran Association website.  My father always told me that we(our line) were neither Irish or Scottish but we were Scotch-Irish.  That is a whole different story
Lisa.H

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 04:11:31 PM »

It is a shame that the stories linking pigs/piglets/boars to the name Purcell are so widespread. That is exactly what they are, made-up stories.
I have read the whole story about the boar that Purcell was supposed to have killed near Loughmore Castle, it was written by a reverend. It just shows how much effort the protestants went to smear the name of the Purcells.
The Norman bloodline which the Purcells came from was supposedly originally Jewish, in the male line, that would explain why the insults about pigs were particulary relevant, because to Jewish people pigs are dirty animals.
If this is true then the Purcell Haplotype should be J or J2. More research needs to be done to find out if the majority of Tipperary Purcells are J or J2.
BPorcel

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 09:15:10 PM »

Lisa:

There are a number of us Purcell's that have had our DNA tested, but we all seem to be from the US of A. If we could get some Purcell's from Ireland to match with it help to answer part of your question. Also, some from Normandy would also help.

Bill Purcell Kit no. 132975; Halo grp. (R1b1b2a1b)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 19 queries.