World Families Forums - Non-surname matches

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 04:53:57 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'L'
| | |-+  Lamb (Moderator: Carol Botteron)
| | | |-+  Non-surname matches
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Non-surname matches  (Read 2003 times)
Irvin Lamb
« on: April 12, 2006, 11:05:33 PM »

On the FTDNA page, I see that a 12 point match has been posted for Robert and myself.  I am confident that he is in the British Isles by his e-mail namehaving a Mr. at the beginning and that is certainly British.  I sent 2 e-mails, the first was undeliverable and nothing has been received to the second.  At least it wasn't rejected by the postman.  Is it likely that the match would be contacted by snail mail if the e-mail is no good? 
I am going for the 25 marker test just in case

elamb47@MSN.com
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 01:35:35 PM by Biscuits » Logged
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 09:24:06 AM »

Irvin, a 12 marker match is very ambiguous - particularly with a different surname.  You are on the right track with your upgrade to 25 markers.  Here is my standard recommendation when folks ask me which test:

Which Surname (yDNA) Test?

o   If you are trying to match to a different surname without a paper trail - I always recommend 37 markers as a minimum.   67 can be helpful

o   If you know the surname you should match, you can probably get by with 25 markers, but many folks want 37 or 67 to get the clearer insight.

o   If you are only interested in your "deep ancestry" (haplotype) or in proving that you don't share a common ancestor with a specific family, 12 markers are adequate.

o   I also tell folks that if they are serious about their genealogy - that they will end up with at least 37 markers – and probably wind up at 67.

You can go in steps, upgrading a bit at a time - or buy the markers all at once.  Project prices:

12 markers $99
25 markers $148
37 markers $189
67 markers $269

Upgrades from one test to the next are $49.  (37 to 67 is a two step increase and is $99)
monk

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 10:00:07 AM »

On the FTDNA page, I see that a 12 point match has been posted for Robert and myself.  I am confident that he is in the British Isles by his e-mail namehaving a Mr. at the beginning and that is certainly British.  I sent 2 e-mails, the first was undeliverable and nothing has been received to the second.  At least it wasn't rejected by the postman.  Is it likely that the match would be contacted by snail mail if the e-mail is no good? 
I am going for the 25 marker test just in case

elamb47@MSN.com

How many point testing was requested by me and do you have any suggestions for me now?
Monk
LAMB FRIENDS

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 06:49:30 PM »

Hi
I am new to DNA, my son's name is Robert Lamm, someone changed the spellling long ago.  I think his relatives came from Ireland, Britian, Scotland, etc.  I have not gotten to the bottom of it yet.  Still searching.  He is R1B1B2.  Love to talk genealogy to you.
Frances
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 19 queries.