World Families Forums - Dukes of German Decent...Shenandoah Valley Va connection

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 27, 2014, 09:57:41 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Dukes of German Decent...Shenandoah Valley Va connection
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dukes of German Decent...Shenandoah Valley Va connection  (Read 1649 times)
valady1958

« on: April 10, 2006, 11:15:41 AM »

My maiden name is Dukes...any connections?
Stevo

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 02:22:38 PM »

My maiden name is Dukes...any connections?

I don't know of any connection to me, but I do speak German.

The word for Duke in German is Herzog.

If your maiden name is Dukes, and you are of German descent, chances are pretty good the English changed your family's surname, anglicizing it. That was done quite frequently. Schmidts became Smiths, Schneiders became Taylors, Beckers became Bakers, and so on. Sometimes the German immigrants changed the surname themselves in order to fit in.

You may want to see if you have a connection to the Herzog family.

Another possibility is the surname Graf. Graf really means Count in German, but it could have been mistranslated as Duke.

If you are from the Shenandoah Valley, you are probably well aware of the way the English anglicized German last names. The town of Stephens City in the Northern Shenandoah Valley was actually founded by two German brothers from Heidelberg, Ludwig and Peter Stephan (or Steffen). They came to be known as Lewis and Peter Stephens, and the rest is history. You know the Lutheran Church across from the Sheetz station right off I-81 there? I believe the Stephan brothers founded it back in the 1700s.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 02:52:44 PM by Stevo » Logged
daleCastle

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 04:24:39 PM »

My family name is Castle but was originally Cassels. I thought for sometime that it was a German name especially because of Kassel Germany. But, my understanding now is that it is not, but is a French name. Any translations or opinions on the name Cassels.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 17 queries.