World Families Forums - If your Ancestral Surname is not served with a Surname DNA Project

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 10, 2014, 12:00:51 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  If your Ancestral Surname is not served with a Surname DNA Project
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If your Ancestral Surname is not served with a Surname DNA Project  (Read 8029 times)
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« on: April 09, 2006, 01:15:26 PM »

One of the services that WorldFamilies.net provides is the establishment and management of surname projects at Family Tree DNA.?

Generally, the approach is to assure that there is a surname project at FTDNA serving any surname with interest.? We set up projects for the more common surnames whenever we recognise that the surname is not being served -? or upon specific request.? And. we will set up a surname project for any surname, no matter how unusual - when the requestor is ready to place an order in that project.

We have a number of surname projects that have no administration from a family member.? We welcome one or more volunteers to become administrators of these projects and to learn how to manage the project at their own pace - with our support.? Once they are confident, they can take over sole operation of the project - or keep us in the background as technical support.? (The websites that we provide will stay with the project.? They are provided at no cost.)

You may post a reply, or contact me privately by clicking on the white envelope to the left of this message.

Terry
zorita

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 06:16:59 PM »

Hello,
I am 54 F and tested J* in HVR1. My maternal ancestors were Kartik and Vanko from Slovakia, paternal Brlica from Valach (MOravia, Czech Republic).
All these three surnames are quite rare in Moravia and Slovakia. I would like to explore more. To manage those projects might be a good learning how-to.
If you wish, you can contact me at rothbauerova -at- hotmail
Zorita
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 06:29:07 PM »

Hi Zorita, I am willing to set up of project(s) for any of these 3 surnames that you are ready to be actively involved in the administration or are ready to order a testing kit.  Terry
bookwalk

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 12:12:49 PM »

I would like to start a new Surname Project:  LAMSON / LAMPSON / LAMBSON  I believe a descendant of one of 3 brothers that I have a pedigree database developed for and a website devoted to, has had a test done (Y Chromosome) at FamilyTree DNA and has results posted there. 

I cannot submit a test (am female) but would be the Project Administrator if there is a way to get his results transferred over to this new Surname Project.

Please let me know the details of doing this.  I am not sure if any others of these 3 surnames have any results with your group, but we are just getting started and hopefully will find several participants that represent the above 3 main names and origins, as well as those trying to find out which line they may fit into.

Thanks,
Pat Walker
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 08:08:41 PM »

Hi Pat.  We can either set up a new project for Lamson, or you can become co-admin for Lamb, which already has 13 members and currently includes the surnames Lamson & Lampson.  (we can add Lambson).  Here are links to the Lamb project: 

LAMB Family DNA Project:  Included Surnames: Lamm, Lamby, Lamkins, Lamyman, Lamson, Lam, Lambe, Lambie, Lampson, Lamborn, Lambton, Lamotte, Lamott, Lamoth, Laman, Lamon, Lamond, Lamphear, Lamphier

Family Web Page:
http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/l/lamb/

Family Pedigree Page:
http://www.wfnforum.net/index.php?topic=1452.0

As far as joining a project:

In your FTDNA page is a blue button labelled "join".  Click on that button, then select the surname, then select a second gray join button which is lower on the page.  Or, you can call or email FTDNA and ask them to transfer you into the project  - or you can send me your kit number AND code (password) and I can transfer you in.

Or, if your test is at National Geographic - You can transfer yourself, your results and your retained sample to Family Tree DNA.  Go to your NGGP page and look towards the bottom for a small link called "Learn More".  Click through the links and eventually you'll join Family Tree DNA.  Once you have done that, you'll be able to join the project - as above.

Terry
SunflowerStar

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 01:03:22 PM »

Is there a Briggs family forum? Cannot find it. If there is not how do I go about getting it set up?
Tedburl

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 04:34:51 PM »

I'm brand new to this and unsure if it will help, but I've read some encouraging things and hoped that someone can tell me if I'm heading in the right direction with DNA testing/surname registering.  I have a lot of information on my mothers side of the family, but I never knew my father and have no family history from his side of things, zero.  I'm not 100% sure of the spelling of his last name.  It's either Lindamood or Lindermood, but could be a slightly different spelling too.  There are no living relatives that can help me with this.  Can NDA testing/surname registering help me trace that side of my family?

Thanks very much,

Ted
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 04:42:52 PM »

Hi Sunflowerstar.  We will setup a forum to support a surname dna project at the request of the FTDNA project admin.  We hope to also start providing forums for surnames not supported by WorldFamilies.net in the future.

Hi Ted.  The probabilities are pretty good that you will find one or more surnames that are a close match to you - which could lead to your finding your paternal ancestry.  However, this is not a certainty.  If you are going to test without being sure of your ancestral surname, you will ultimately need to test at least 37 markers, but you can start with less and upgrade later if you prefer.  (There is one man named Lindamood who has results in the Lind project.)

You should test in the Lind project - which will give you access to the project prices - which are considerably better than ordering as an individual.  Here's a link to order:

http://www.familytreedna.com/DNAList.asp?Group=Lind

Terry
sharon lawson

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 07:13:06 AM »

Searching for family history of Joseph Estill Pevley, Oct 1894 to Oct 1966. Son of James Peavley or Peavler, and Neetha J Roy who married in Ky in June 16, 1893.

sharon lawson

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 17 queries.