World Families Forums - Feel free to post on any Question of the Week at any time.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 08:48:15 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Special Forums - Note: You must be Logged In to Post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Questions and News Articles of the Week
| | |-+  Feel free to post on any Question of the Week at any time.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feel free to post on any Question of the Week at any time.  (Read 7444 times)
Marilyn Teaff Barton
Administrator
Guru

« on: February 25, 2006, 04:00:02 PM »

You can continue the dialogue on any Question of the week by posting whenever you like.? Some questions continue to be of interest and deserve continued attention.? Just click on the question and add your comments.

Note: if you are registered on this Forum, you have edit privileges on your own postings and can add, modify or delete your posting at your own discretion.  You may post as a guest, but will not be able to later edit your own postings.   Terry
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 02:14:06 PM by terry » Logged
Vic

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 11:00:11 AM »

I would like to post my pedigree but I would like to know. Do I start from my great grandfather
and all his children down to me including any siblings or do I just post the revelant facts i.e . grandad + spouse, dad + spouse and then me . Perhaps I am not getting the idea from the examples given.
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 02:37:02 PM »

Hi Vic.? We ask that you start your pedigree posting with your earliest known ancestor of that family.? We give you two choices:

1. Post only your direct line.? In this case, please stop at 1900 - as we prefer not to provide information on the living.
or
2. Post all children in each generation.? In this case, please stop after 5 generations or 1900 - whichever comes first.

In either case, we ask that you provide ONLY these basics:

- Man's name
- Man's birth date and place
- Wife's name

Comments:

-- Please post your pedigree on the Pedigree Forum for YOUR Surname
-- To search, FIRST go to the WFN Forum "Home" page, THEN use the search box
-- We believe that these 4 pieces on info fully identify any man and keeo the pedigree uncluttered and easy to scan
-- Only provide other info as a substitute when you can't provide one of the above.
-- We do not want any details about the wife
-- Please do not capitalize all the letter s in the Surname
-- We only provide Forum pages for projects hosted by WorldFamilies.net at this time.? If you wish to post and don't find your surname, you may post at:

http://www.wfnforum.net/index.php?topic=2976.0  (Go there and then click "Reply")

Terry
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 02:40:43 PM by terry » Logged
im1rosagarcia

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 03:38:29 AM »

Hello Board.

I did my Mt-DNA because, 1. IM doing my genealogy threw my mother side of her families. Ordonez,Gallardo,Mena,Valencia,Cardenas, Rodriguez, Caraveo,Dominguez. Chihuahua Mexico

To me its very important, for me, for my children, for them to know who they are of my mother mothers & great mothers.

Since Iv done my Mt-DNA with FamilyTreeDNA IM learning a lot with a lot of excitement.
 I have native American in me, HVR1 Haplogroup A.
 To see all the matches of other nationalities that I share with threw my great-grand-mothers.

Since I have done my Mt-DNA threw my mother side, we also decided to want to know more about my father & his side of his families, my father has been missing since 1970 so I got my brother which he is a Garcia Gomez to do his DNA and now we are waiting for his results and to find other matches that would also be families to our Garcia.

As for my mother, her father, My grandfather: Victor Ordonez 1901. I also wanted to do his DNA but since he is decease, we got my mother brother, My uncle, he is an Ordonez from Chihuahua Mexico and he is the only male & brother of my mother Velia Ordonez to do the test.
They have lots of families in Chihuahua Mexico. We got our uncle to do his DNA.
We are waiting for his results also.

I feel its so important to know what we carrie threw our blood and who are your ancestors.
It really brings a lot of smiles.
Rose garcia Ordonez
West Sacramento Calif.
joeflood

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 09:38:49 PM »

I cant work out how to creat a new topic so Im trying this.

Although Im a scientist, Im finding it hard to work out what is going on in the literature which is jargon-filled with few explanations. For example it took me a long time to work out that haplotypes are based on simple binary markers called SNPs whereas what we are testing is SSRs (simple sequence repeats). As its never explained anywhere, this made it hard initially for me to work out what familtreedna was talking about when it came to subclade testing.

Now my first question is - how do they know for example that haplotype B is descended from A and not the other way round? And how can they possibly time when the mutation occurred?

My second question relates to "microsatellites" and "minisatellites" which a number of papers are using to test recent human migration. Im inclined to think, reading between the lines, that these are just another word for SNPs. Are they? And how can they be used to time various genetic events?

Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 12:59:31 AM »

Joe, from John Blair's reference:  Short Tandem Repeats (STR): A genetic marker consisting of multiple copies of an identical DNA sequence arranged in direct succession in a particular region of a chromosome. Occasionally, one will mutate by the gain or loss of one repeat. (Also known as microsatellite)

Here are some other resources:

http://www.familytreedna.com/ydnapapers.html

http://blairgenealogy.com/dna/dna101.html

http://isogg.org/

Terry
Rapp

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 04:34:38 PM »

I have a simple question regarding Y-DNA.

Is the "short leg" portion of a Y-DNA segment inherited from the mother?  Y-DNA is always attributed to the father, but is their also a maternal component?

If so, why is this not discussed in the genealogical literature?

If not, how does one explain apparent multiple Y-DNA haplogroup identities appearing in haplogroup prediction models?  Case in point.

My Y-DNA matches nicely with the R1b1c group, a Scot-Irish Highland type.  However, I have a strong hit with the "Q" haplogroup, the so-called Scandinavian Inuit (Mongolian) group.  I have read internet blogs that attribute this "Scottish pattern" to Vikings bring Inuit wives with them to northern Scotland.  I just don't understand how this works.

Are people reading too much into these Y-DNA haplogroup designations?  How can you be represented by more than a single Y-DNA haplogroup if there is no maternal component?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 18 queries.