World Families Forums - Stubbs family traits

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 25, 2014, 02:49:27 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'S'
| | |-+  Stubbs (Moderator: Bob Stubbs)
| | | |-+  Stubbs family traits
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stubbs family traits  (Read 6577 times)
saltboiler

« on: January 15, 2006, 10:27:45 AM »

hello, I'm from a very large Stubbs family in England - have traced my stubbs from Leighton/Nantwich nr Crewe, Cheshire UK

Id like to share some of our genetic family traits see if any match up with any other stubbs.

We are mostly all very short, around 5' - 5'5" max with short fingers
dark thick hair, dark skin that tans really easily & rarely burns,  some stubbs have been accused of being foreigners
blood type b & rhesus neg (mostly)
very loud & have many opinions which we are not afraid to share
very interested in natural phenomena - seasons - tides - volcanoes - tornados - storms etc
obsessed with the time, every clock & watch owned has to be synchronised with GMT
very friendly & trusting (perhaps too much) always believe the best in & of people, always strive to make others feel welcome or valued in awkward social situations
unique sense of humour, likes to make own jokes & laugh at them - great sense of fun & mischief but not at others' expense.
when we walk our feet turn inward
especially during public speaking ( & other nerve-racking experiences when we are talking) the Stubbs close their eyes as a blink for slightly too long- they are not aware of it & cannot control it either.
always have an answer & opinion on many many subjects - very unusual for a stubbs to say " I dont really Know" & we  get (inwardly) frustrated with people who have little or no opinions
definately extrovert & quite confident in our abilities  - no shyness

what do you all think please post your thoughts,

R
peter cubit

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 09:10:46 PM »

We MUST be related.? So many of the traits you describe apply to the Stubbs descendants here in Australia.

I have traced my antecendent (Joseph Stubbs, b.1808) to Kendal in Westmorland.? I would be delighted to receive any additional information you may have that can link me to the broader branch of the Stubbs family tree.
saltboiler

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 07:18:28 PM »

I have traced my stubbs for definate back to 1800's to a place called Minshull Vernon which is Nantwich near Crewe in Cheshire UK.  Tree seems to be growing all the time - one thing I have noticed about Stubbs in general is that there always seems to be  a large  stubbs contingent near to salt production works   Provo - Utah   &  Nantwich/middlewich Cheshire   - there was even a saltworks here called 'Stubbs SaltWorks' until it becamer incorporated by the a saltworkers union in the 1880s   & Turks & Caicos Islands - known for the salt production & associated slave trade.  so is this something in our common history that links us???   

I have as yet, not been able to prove any definate links with my stubbs to these but... I have another cousin researching stubbs who truly belives that all stubbs are in fact from a common root

appreciate your comments,

jc

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 11:57:29 PM »

I'm still learning how to navigate this site or would have posted sooner. Having met a few Stubbs from different branches in the States, I can say that they all have in common exceedingly good looks, above avererage intelligence,  sure self confidence and a do or die attitude. You can always tell when they are lying--- yep, the lips are moving, --just kidding--

I personnally checked my watch daily and corrected it if more that 30 seconds off GMT. Since being retired though, I don't even change it back and forth from Daylight savings time changes.

Cheers,
J.C. Stubbs
estubbs70

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 02:40:55 PM »

I am from a Stubbs line that may have migrated from England during the 1600's and settled in Massachusetts.? I say maybe because I have not proven a connection with Benjamin Stubbs from that area.? Known Stubbs ancestors came from South Carolina, Georgia, and Texas.

I share several of the traits you mention.? My family is generally short with small hands.? (I will not go there)? One of my sons is 5'6" and the other is 5"10" as I am.? My sisters are short.? My grandsons are short with one exception.?

Since some hair factors are inhereted from the mother, there is not much point in discussing that.? My sons and grandsons were all blessed with luxurous hair while I was balding at 20.

We are, for the most part, ruddy complextioned and burn easily.

One of my sons is a shy, reclusive architect and the other is an outgoing CEO.? My own mouth has always been a burden socially and a gift professonally.?

I love science, am socially naive and trusting, and have a profound sense of humor.? Most of my own humor is original and often forward.? The main reason is that I can't remember jokes.? My true friends allow me some leniency with my jesting spears.

All of my sons are athletic as I am.? I had athletic scholarship offers in two major American , football and basketball, but chose to major in social events. (My bad.) One grandson plays Rugby for Texas A&M University and his brother is a high level forward in soccer. My youngest is quite huge and plays all  at the age of nine.

I must agree with my good friend J. C. Stubbs that we are all markedly handsome and a whiz with the ladies.

I have genetically matched up perfectly with an Irishman, an Englishman, a German, and an American.? I would appreciate any reference with a Stubbs who migrated to the new world during the 1600's.

Thanks,

Earl Stubbs?
Stubbsy5050

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 01:49:11 PM »

I don't recognise myself at all from that description. Our side tend to be tall, dark, athletic and artistic, with a talent for the written word. We have a jounalistic tradtion in the family. My youngest son is in the US on a soccer scholarship and has been asked to edit his university newspaper.

Stubbs is an Old English name with Anglo Saxon or Viking roots. It can mean someone who lives in a clearing in the woods (ie. by the tree stumps or stubs) or it can mean a short, stumpy, stubby person. However it can also mean the opposite - tall people were jokingly called Little, short people were called Long.

There seem to be two core branches of the Stubbs family in England. One is based in the North West; the Staffordshire to Liverpool area. The painter George Stubbs was from the Liverpool side although he later lived in Yorkshire.

The other branch is based in Yorkshire and the North East. We have members of the family in Nidderdale, near Harrogate, in the 1300's. There was a Henry de Stubbes, a William Stubbes and a John Stubbes at this time.

At some time my branch moved a little north to Barnard Castle in Teesdale, County Durham. They were farmers. All my line were called John Stubbs (9 generations) until we reach a Robert Stubbs about 1700. However his father and grandfather were called John Stubbs. I suppose using the American terms my eldest son is John Stubbs IXth !

My family farmed at Bede Kirk and Quarry Grange farms, Barnard Castle. My great grandfather then moved a few miles north to farm in Weardale, County Durham where I was born.

I now live near Leeds, Yorkshire - just a few miles from our Nidderdale roots.
jc

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 01:09:04 AM »

At 5'10, now 5'9, I was considered tall in the family. Brown hair, green eyes, small feet and hands.

No outstanding athletes here.

I have artists in the family. Their work was promoted over the years from the refrigerator to the living room wall.
Now a designer and an art historian. I was a stained glass craftsman by hobby.

Although I wear the name Stubbs, I cannot say with any certainty if that was the original name.

My earliest known ancestor was William Stubbs 1784-1857. Most sources indicate he was born in Georgia, USA, died Indiana USA.
A sometimes minister of the United Brethern in Christ, a religion with Pennsylvania German immigrant roots. I recently learned that at their early meetings, they would have 2 recording secretaries. One in German and one in English. Many of the United Brethern merged with the Methodist to form the modern United Methodist.

From what I understand from my DNA results, most arrows for me point toward Scotland.

I corresponded briefly last year with a gentleman from Gloucester whose ancesters were Northumberland Stubbs that he believes
were originally Stobbs. His American cousins go by Stubbs. I wondered if Stobbs and Stubbs had common ancestry?
R Stubbs
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 08:19:32 PM »

Hello to all,

J.C. Stubbs recently told me of the Stubbs DNA project.   My Stubbs lived in Worc.-Glouc area from ca 1500-1700.  Earliest ancestor, believed to be in my direct line, is William Stubbe; (will  1550, Elmestone, Gloucestershire, England).  Codrington pedigrees  from late 16th cent suggest these Glouc. Stubbs were from Norfolk.   
Perhaps as the DNA project gets more data, it may be possible to confirm a connection to Norfolk Stubbs?

I really enjoyed the posting on "Stubbs traits".
When I found the reference to Stubbs talking loud and having strong opinions , I had to laugh.   I knew then I had found the right place and was among my kin.

My father was one of 16 children(8 boys, 8 girls).  I have 72 first cousins on dad's side of the family.
When we gathered for reunions everyone talked at  the same time.
If there were a dozen Stubbses in the same room, there were 12 simultaneous conversations, all on different topics.  If someone's lips were not moving, often mine, he became the focus of eye contact with the others and the designated listener for all 12 conversations.

I guess, among Stubbses with opinions, I am most fortunate.   Working as a consultant, I get paid for expressing mine.   Must be a genetic thing.

My grandfather, had six brothers.  All seven were described in the 1918 Draft Registration cards as medium ht, medium build, brown hair, blue eyes.

I llook forward to participating in the Stubbs DNA project.
saltboiler

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 05:17:24 PM »

I did a little research & it seems as though the biggest concentration for the name stubbs on the 1881 UK census is in fact CREWE - cheshire   - a mere stone's throw from where I have traced back my ancestry to.
 so the question has to be - did we start here & fan out to other parts?? - certainly uk wide.

can fully identify with the many conversation thing between stubbs -  also we are eternally nosey - there is a part of me straining to hear everybody's conversation in these situations.
do we have a tendancy to to 'dump' a conversation in favour of a more juicy one,  if the need arises?? - to share our firmly held opinions of course - with anybody & everybody who will listen.

keep up the chat stubbys,

jc

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 01:41:14 AM »

Welcome Robert, Your line is the one I am thought to connect to, as you know. My paper trail ends with William 1783/4-1857. William is said to have had a daughter Keron-Keren or Kerrenhappuch. She had 3 childen with descendants that claim Native American ancestry. If I understand my results, William was a white European but I wonder if Sarah, his wife, could have been Native?

Rachel, I've been sorting old photos, thinking about your previous post. Myself and my father resemble his mother's side. Johnsons from Tennesse. My grandfather, great grandfather and 2 great grandfather Stubbs were all relatively short and dark. Apparently the Johnson genes bulldozed their way thru.

Stubbsy, The last time at the cemetery, I was trying to count grandparents and lost count. At that time I was thinking of Stubbs like yourself in England that instead of having 4 or 5 generations, have 12, 15 or more generations in the Churchyard.

Greetings to all!
saltboiler

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 07:56:19 AM »

I've got my test result back whooppee!  seems very similar to some of you others but not an exact match. We still need more help in discovereing a common heritage.

keep it up stubbys
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 10:41:59 AM by saltboiler » Logged
Stubbsy5050

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 11:12:13 AM »

Hi to all those Stubbses out there. Here is our ancestry starting with my son John.

1. John Stubbs b.1986 Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
2. John Stubbs b.1956 Bishop Auckland, County Durham, England
3. John Stubbs b.1909 Bishop Auckland, County Durham, England
4. John Stubbs b.1864 Bishop Auckland, County Durham, England
5. John Stubbs b.1821 Barnard Castle, County Durham, England
6. John Stubbs b.1794 Barnard castle, County Durham, England
7. John Stubbs b.1767 Barnard Castle, County Durham, England
8. John Stubbs b.1736 Barnard Castle, County Durham, England

So far our Stubbses display a singular lack of imagination for names, however...

9. Robert Stubbs!!!! b.1706 Barnard Castle, County Durham, England
10. John Stubbs b.1671 Barnard Castle, County Durham, England
11. John Stubbs b.1641 Barnard Castle, County Durham, England
12. Ralph Stubbs b.1615 Barnard Castle, County Durham, England
13. John Stubbs b.1547 Barnard Castle, County Durham, England

After this things start to get a bit sketchy but the previous Stubbses seem to have come from the Knaresborough area a few miles south, in the North Riding of Yorkshire. There are several names - Thomas, William, Miles and of course John which occur several times then;

14. John Stubbes b.1430 Ripon, Yorkshire, England
15. William Stubbes c.1410 Knaresborough, Yorkshire, England
16. John de Stubbes b.1387 Knaresborough, Yorkshire, England

(in 1430 John de Stubbes is a Grave or Warden of Knaresborough Forest)

17. William Stubbe c.1369 Knaresborough, Yorkshire, England
18. Thomas de Stubbes c.1325 Knaresborough, Yorkshire, England
19. Richard de Stubbes and Henry de Stubbes c.1250 Knaresborough, England

These two characters are mentioned in the Rolls of Knaresborough Forest in 1273.
At this time the forest adjoined the huge Sherwood Forest, haunt of the legendary Robin Hood, which extended south to Nottingham; but there is far more evidence that Robin Hood was in fact a Yorkshireman.
I wonder if Richard and Henry looked like Errol Flynn or Kevin Costner?

20. Thomas de la Stubbe c.1260 Sussex, England
21. Geofrey de Stubbes c.1150 Norfolk, England
22. Richard Stubbe c.1149, Sussex, England
23. Alphege Stybb(es) c.968 England

Most of us never managed to venture more than a few miles in over a millenium - and I now live just 10 miles from Knaresborough. However one John Stubbs, a descendent of Miles Stubbs of Knaresborough, bought two shares in the Virginia Company for ?25 pounds and started off the Virginia line of the family in 1620. Wierdly, a member of my mother's family - John Milner - went to Virginia at the same time and ended up marrying the daughter of Captain John Rolfe and his third wife (his second wife was Pocahontas).

That's enough - I must have bored you all rigid.

Cheers,
John Stubbs
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 07:27:58 PM by Stubbsy5050 » Logged
stubbo

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 05:03:07 PM »

Never laughed so much saltboiler.
That sums my dad up but i think i got diluted.
He 5 7 ish and tans easily.
We always refered to as Stubborn Stubbs
Always get told off for telling things how they are.
eg 'Do you like this dress' ...'No its b****** horrible'

Not sure if this is a Stubbs trait but my third finger (ring finger) is longer than first by about half a nail
Stubbs23

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 07:46:47 PM »

Hello possible cousins,

As a beginner researching my family history, I have only been able to verify my Stubbs roots back to 1815 Georgia (USA) so far, but I understand from my uncle that some of our ancesters were Quakers in Pennsylvania.  We share some traits with you.  We all seem to have thick dark wavy hair and are short to medium in height.  My father was 5' 9" to 5' 10" and I am a pitiful 5' 1".  We dearly love to laugh, and as you say, never at anyone's expense; our favorite humor involves word play.  My family has a tendancy to be loud and my father and his brothers were fighters as youth and all joined the service during wartimes.  We tend toward fair/ruddy skinned, with my father and his entire family having blue eyes (I ended up with greenish blue,) stocky muscular bodies, wide smiles, and a twinkle in the eyes.  Very hard workers and a little impatient when someone is not pulling their weight.  And like your family, always happy to make a guest feel at home and included.

So far, my ancestry search is turning up farmers.  I have seen several items that link my line up to John Stubbs from Virginia who came over from the UK but my link has a question mark by it (my link being George W. Stubbs (1815-1863).)   I would love to participate in the DNA match, but alas, I am female.
saltboiler

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 05:42:09 PM »

hello stubbs 23 You sound very much like a stubbs to me - we love word play too.

have you got a stubbs born male  in your close family  brother/uncle/father/cousin who bears the surname of stubbs - ask him to get tested for his DNA  I made my brother  do it!!!!

interesting to see where your UK connection stems from, If its cheshire I wouldn't be surprised.
MaxStubbs

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 02:20:20 AM »

Hello, my name is Maxwell Pierson Stubbs, and my Stubbs family is somewhat extended throughout the USA, some in Maine, some in Rhode Island, some in Virginia, Utah, etc. Majority of them are Mormons. (Not I, however) My younger brother and I (me being 16, and he 15) are the product of a short marriage between my mother (Alisa Michelle Diaz, maiden name), who is half Puerto Rican, and Jason Stubbs, son of LeRoy and Darlene Stubbs, who live in Norfolk, Virginia, or very close to it. I sadly can't name too many names on either side. On the Stubbs side I know I have Angela, Buffy, and of course, Jason.

I am 5'10, fairly athlethic (though surely un-coordinated), brown hair, skinny (160 pounds, give or take), definitely stubborn and opinionated, and I too enjoy wordplay. I was born in Fort Gordon Georgia on March 7th, 1991. I currently live with my mom and my step-father David Philip Napier in Sarasota Florida. Perhaps you're genealogies cover some of those names?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 02:31:04 AM by MaxStubbs » Logged
MaxStubbs

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 02:29:07 AM »

hello, I'm from a very large Stubbs family in England - have traced my stubbs from Leighton/Nantwich nr Crewe, Cheshire UK

Id like to share some of our genetic family traits see if any match up with any other stubbs.

We are mostly all very short, around 5' - 5'5" max with short fingers

Not so much for me.

dark thick hair, dark skin that tans really easily & rarely burns,  some stubbs have been accused of being foreigners

Skin's a bit lighter, but I do have thick dark brown hair.

blood type b & rhesus neg (mostly)

No clue.

very loud & have many opinions which we are not afraid to share

Now THAT sounds like me.

very interested in natural phenomena - seasons - tides - volcanoes - tornados - storms etc

Again, right on the money

obsessed with the time, every clock & watch owned has to be synchronised with GMT

meh, not so much. But it has to be close.

very friendly & trusting (perhaps too much) always believe the best in & of people, always strive to make others feel welcome or valued in awkward social situations

Story of my Life. Very true.

unique sense of humour, likes to make own jokes & laugh at them - great sense of fun & mischief but not at others' expense.

Sounds like me

when we walk our feet turn inward

not sure

especially during public speaking ( & other nerve-racking experiences when we are talking) the Stubbs close their eyes as a blink for slightly too long- they are not aware of it & cannot control it either.

I get a lot of S*** for that, so definitely got that trait.

always have an answer & opinion on many many subjects - very unusual for a stubbs to say " I dont really Know" & we  get (inwardly) frustrated with people who have little or no opinions

True

definately extrovert & quite confident in our abilities  - no shyness

nah, about 50/50 on that one

MaxStubbs

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 02:43:51 AM »

I'm sure you all hate Myspace, being that you're all grown men (and possibly women), but I figure this might give you a better visual of my family and myself:

http://www.myspace.com/purebred_gamer
dorraine

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 10:22:26 AM »

Hello

Just found this site, my father died when I was younger, a christopher stubbs from gloustershire U and unfortunatly he did not leave a very good reputation which is why I am finding it difficult to find out any information about him or his family history, his brother is Bruce and pat

If this rings a bell with anybody I would be very grateful,
thank you dorraine
Bob Stubbs

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 09:18:03 PM »

Hi Dorraine,

Stubbs Group 2, in the Stubbs Project results page, are believed to be descended from William Stubbs b 1607, in Staverton, Gloucestershire.  Do you know if your father's family origins are in Gloucestershire?

Regards,
Bob Stubbs
ValerieStubbsHeckadon

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 01:53:44 AM »

my Great Grandfather is Nathanial Newman Stubbs he was married to Lucy Cleveland Stubbs. My Grandfather is Walter Sharon Stubbs though he changed it to Charon because it was a "girls" name, and went by Mike, he was married to Arby Hazel Shriver Stubbs, of which they had 10 kids 7 boys and 3 girls the last and youngest boy being my father Larry Alfred Stubbs...

Hello to all,

J.C. Stubbs recently told me of the Stubbs DNA project.   My Stubbs lived in Worc.-Glouc area from ca 1500-1700.  Earliest ancestor, believed to be in my direct line, is William Stubbe; (will  1550, Elmestone, Gloucestershire, England).  Codrington pedigrees  from late 16th cent suggest these Glouc. Stubbs were from Norfolk.   
Perhaps as the DNA project gets more data, it may be possible to confirm a connection to Norfolk Stubbs?

I really enjoyed the posting on "Stubbs traits".
When I found the reference to Stubbs talking loud and having strong opinions , I had to laugh.   I knew then I had found the right place and was among my kin.

My father was one of 16 children(8 boys, 8 girls).  I have 72 first cousins on dad's side of the family.
When we gathered for reunions everyone talked at  the same time.
If there were a dozen Stubbses in the same room, there were 12 simultaneous conversations, all on different topics.  If someone's lips were not moving, often mine, he became the focus of eye contact with the others and the designated listener for all 12 conversations.

I guess, among Stubbses with opinions, I am most fortunate.   Working as a consultant, I get paid for expressing mine.   Must be a genetic thing.

My grandfather, had six brothers.  All seven were described in the 1918 Draft Registration cards as medium ht, medium build, brown hair, blue eyes.

I llook forward to participating in the Stubbs DNA project.

Valerie Stubbs Heckadon
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 20 queries.