World Families Forums - What proof do we have of the early English Goodrick Goodrich connection

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 06:40:47 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  What proof do we have of the early English Goodrick Goodrich connection
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What proof do we have of the early English Goodrick Goodrich connection  (Read 907 times)
Michael B Goodrick

« on: November 10, 2005, 11:50:32 AM »

I am open to any comments about the findings listed below

GOODRICK OF BOLINGBROKE AND SUFFOLK.

JOHN GOODRYKE of Bolingbroke co. Lincoln, is the first of the family from ?whom an unbroken descent can be recorded in authentic documents. He lived In ?the reign of Henry VI and died In 1493, being succeeded in his landed estate at Bolingbroke by his second son Richard. This Richard is ancestor of the Goodrick?s of Suffolk, whose genealogy, so far as I have been able to trace it, will follow.

RICHARD GOODRYKE was a ?merchant of the Staple,? and died in 1508 His will,

dated September 1508, was proved in London, 17th November following by his widow, Alice, who was daughter of John Etton, of Firsby, co. Lincoln. By her he had issue

1. Richard, of London, his successor.

2. John, a merchant of the Staple at Calais, who died unmarried. His will, dated 11th May, 1540, was proved in London 5th June in the same year. He names his brother Richard; ?my Lord of Ely," his cousin and Edward Goodrick of Bolingbroke.

The elder son?.

RICHARD GOODRICK of London, was attorney of the Augmentation. As previously stated, on the death of his kinsman, Lionel Goodrick of East Kirkby, Richard was appointed guardian of his two infant children, Edward and Anna. The following account of him is given by Gerard Leigh in his ?Accedens of Armory,? published in 1562 p. 153: ? ??He beareth argent, on a fesse gules one flower-de-lis and two crescents or,
between two lions passant, guardant sable. The timber, a demy lion rampant, guardant sable, sette on a wreathe, or, and azure, mantled gules, doubled argent, all above for his own devise, as ye may see. These appertained to master Richard Goodricke, of Stanmore, a gentleman of the ancient house of Grayes Inne whilst he lived: A worthy counsellor to ye queen?s highness yet now is. A worthy man well seen in all the liberal arts, whose fame did rise by sound counsel and upright dealing in the laws, Such a friend he was, to those, that needed him, that by his acts he putt in execution the rare points of friendships highly commended by Socrates, and seldom practised of others, whose goodness as I confess my self to have tasted: so with grief I bewail his lack, being no lease bemoaned of his neighbours, then his goodness toward them justly deserved the same. ?But fare he well in heaven, and all his friends on earth, that hope, till then, to mete with hym.?

Richard Goodrick married Dorothy, daughter of William Badbye of Essex, and widow of Sir George Blagge, by whom he had an only son, Richard, and a daughter, Elizabeth. He died

London, and was buried in the choir of St. Andrew?s Church, Holborn, 25th May, 1562. The following description of his funeral is taken from ?Machyn?s Diary,? in 1562

?The xxv. day of May was bered master Godderyke sqwyer, the wyche he ded at ys place with-in Whyt-freres, and cared unto Sant Andrew?s in Holborn to be bered; and ther was the compene of the Clarkes singing prike..song, and then came a morner caring ys pennon of armes, and then cam master Yorke beyryng ys cote armur, and after master Clarenshus; and then cam the corse with a ryche palle of tynsell and ryche cloth of sylver with armes of bokeram; and then the morners, and after the byshope of Canturbere and the byshope of Ely and the byshope of London, and next my lord keper and my ?lord cheyffe justus of England and mony worshephull men, and after ijc. of the innes of the cowrt folowd; and the dene of Powlles dyd pryche for hym.?

His will, dated 20th November, 1556, was proved in London 17th January, His widow, Dorothy, was married for a third time to Sir Ambrose Jermyn, of Rushbrooke, co. Suffolk, Knight, by whom she had a daughter, Dorothy, who was wife of Edward Duke, Esq., of Benhall, co. Suffolk. Dorothy, Lady Jermyn, matched her son Henry Blagge and her daughter Judith Blagge, children by her first husband, with Hester and Robert Jermyn, issue of her third husband by his first wife, and her son Richard Goodrick she married with Dorothy, another daughter of Sir Ambrose Jermyn, her third husband. Her daughter Elizabeth Goodrick became wife of her kinsman Edward Goodrick, of East Kirkby, co. Lincoln.

RICHARD GOODRICK son and heir, married, as just stated, for his first wife Dorothy, daughter of Sir Ambrose Jermyn, of Rushbrooke, co. Suffolk, by whom he had

1. Robert, born 8th January, 1579, died 12th July.

2. Samuel, born March 1582.

1. Sarah, born December 1578

2. Mary, born 18th June, 1580 married at Alford, 3rd September, 1599 to

Robert Rushworth, Esq.

3. Dorothy, born 24th July, 1584 baptized at Little Welnetham.

4. Susan, born December 1589.

His second wife was Margaret, daughter of Bartholomew Calthorpe, of co. Norfolk, Esq., and sister of Audria Calthorpe, who was wife of his nephew Lionel Goodrick, of East Kirkby. The issue of this marriage was

1. Nathaniel, born at Toft Grange, Firaby, co. Lincoln, February 1596 died

14th May, 1610 buried at St. Clare, Bradfield, co. Suffolk, 20th May, 1610.

2. Eleazar, born at Alford, co. Lincoln, 23rd February, 1598 baptized there

26th same month.

3. Richard, born at Alford 9th November, 1600 baptized there 16th same

month.

4. Robert, born at Bradfleld and July, 1602

5. Thomas, born at Bradfleld 15th March, 1606; baptized there 22nd March.

6. Henry, born at Bradfield 29th August, 1608 baptized there 30th April,

7. John, born 15th November (?).

1. Margaret, born at Alford 23rd June, 1599 baptized there 28th same month;

buried at Bradfleld 4th March, 1610

2. Elizabeth, born at Bradfield 31st May, 1604 baptized there 3rd June, 1604.

Richard Goodrick died at Bradfleld St. Clare, and was buried there 1st March, 1624 Of the descendants of his large family I have been able to find only the following

fragmentary information

Robert, son of Samuel Goodrick, Gent., baptized 4th June, 1613, at Rushbrook, co. Suffolk.

Dorothy, daughter of the same, baptized 4th November, 1614

Elizabeth, daughter of the same, baptized 23rd July, 1619.

From a deed in my possession, dated 1st March, 1624, it appears that Edmond Goodrick, who was then living in Co. Suffolk, was son of Samuel Goodrick of Bury St. Edmonds.

Richard Goodrick, son of Richard Goodrick by his second wife, appears to have married young, for I find an entry in the Bradfield St. Clare registers of the burial of his wife, Elizabeth, on 1st April, 1631.

I can find no connection between William Goodridge of Watertown MA USA and the Goodrick / Goodricke family documented by C. A. Goodrick and he did say in his Goodricke Family History that he found nothing to confirm the supposed connection between the Goodriches of Cambridge and the Goodrick / Goodricke family either; I do not find this surprising as we have yet to find any authentic documentation or evidence to substantiate a connection.

We offer this find based on the following :-
Edwin A. Goodridge states that William Goodridge of Watertown was known as Gutridge in England and Gutteridge in his early days in the Colonies, but cites no sources as proof of these assertions. Obviously he found no birth or baptism record for William as he admits he doesn't know the parents' names.
Reading The Goodridge Genealogy by Edwin A. Goodridge, published 1918, through a couple of generations from William Goodridge of Watertown (the more recent research on Josiah Goodridge and his descendants published by NEHGS in 1998 is better documented), which seems to have been exhaustively researched, but cites no primary sources for most of the author's assertions other than a few wills, none of which can be said to have any connection with William Goodridge of Watertown as far as can be seen. Although he states he did considerable research in England, he does not elaborate on the nature of that research. All of the source material listed consists of "authorities", i.e., other books and compilations of material at best, of a secondary nature. As a general rule, in the lengthy recitation of the genealogy of the Goodridge family sources for such items as dates and places of birth, marriage, and death are not provided and it is often unclear as to what is based on documentation and what is merely copied from "authorities", tradition, or speculation.
The relevant point is the author does confirm on page 46, that Lt. Col. William Goodricke, son of Sir Richard Goodricke and Lady Muriel Eure, was born about 1581 and died in England in 1661/62, though again he cites no primary sources although such sources are relatively plentiful for this period. What he does quote is "a genealogical tree said to have been 'in possession of James Pitt Goodrich of Egarth House, Egarth (?), Denbigshire, England'." (NB: That should read "Garth House, Garth, Denbighshire, Wales".) This quote appears to have been taken from The Goodrich Family in America by Lafayette W. Case. Whatever the failings of the referenced documents, it would appear it is safe to say that William Goodricke and William Goodridge of Watertown, MA USA were two different people.

Elsewhere, the author admits he could find no record of birth or any other documentation regarding the parentage of William Goodridge, our immigrant ancestor, but states he was probably born in Bury St. Edmunds May 18, 1605. Again, no source is given for this date and place of birth. He further states William's surname in England, as far as could then be ascertained, was Gutridge, though he does not explain how he arrived at that conclusion either.
Now, where does that leave us? In spite of the deficiencies of this book in the matter of the lack of primary documentation of the usual sort, we can see no problem with the identification of Lt. Col. William Goodricke as the son of Richard Goodricke rather than William Goodridge of Watertown MA USA. This seems to be independently and adequately proven by other means, e.g., the letters Lt. Col. Goodricke's daughters wrote to their uncle, Sir Richard Bellingham in Massachusetts as quoted The New-England Historical and Genealogical Register for the year 1882 Vol XXXVI, Bellingham Sketch by C H Townshend, Esq. of New Haven, Ct.
The author's claim that Goodricke and Goodridge are the same family seems reasonable, based on confirmed family members with the spelling difference also the similarity of the surnames. We should remember that there were no fixed rules for spelling in general until the 19th century. Regarding the origin and different modes of spelling, the name is Saxon, and the earliest spelling I have found documented in family records, is Godric & Goodryke to date. The Goodricke terminal "e" stayed with the line of Henry Goodricke of Ribston (died 1556) as it appears from reliable evidence to have been adopted by this branch. Its use in the seventeenth century was very erratic. The mistake is so often repeated of confusing the families of Goodrick and Goodrich. This has given me, my predecessors many occasion for fruitless inquiry. But I may state that I have never found any incorrectness in authentic documents and neither I nor any other that I know researching the Goodrick family knows of any connection between the two families subsequent to the year 1500. In the last one hundred years the name has been spelt by church recorders in many ways by sound which means accent plays apart by poor spelling and so on.
As a well-known example, the Bard of Avon spelled his surname at least seven different ways on manuscripts written in his own hand, none of which was "Shakespeare".
That Goodridge and Goodricke, as well as other variations, are probably derived from the original Saxon "Godric" this is possible and maybe even probable but, lacking a continuous documentation showing the connections, it is impossible to affirm this with any acceptable degree of certainty other than to quote from the unknown clerics who set down the annals these various Anglo Saxon Chroniclers allow us a guide to the times.
In short, serious research remains to be done on the origins of William Goodridge of Watertown, MA USA. As far as we know, no passenger list has been found to show when he travelled from England, nor any record of his birth in spite of the precise date of birth shown by Edwin Goodridge on page 71. Actually, it has been our experience that most of the dates given as birth dates are in fact dates of baptism as recorded in parish records. Even in C of E records these dates can be anywhere from a few weeks to several months after birth. In the non-conformist churches baptism customarily took place several years after the child was born and often after the individual reached adulthood, which could explain the frequent occurrences in on-line pedigrees and the IGI where the father was "born" as much as ten years after his children.

Compiled by Robert Henderson, edited Michael B Goodrick.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 18 queries.