World Families Forums - McDiarmid Family Pedigrees

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 05:02:22 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'M'
| | |-+  McDiarmid (Moderator: Bruce Edmonds)
| | | |-+  McDiarmid Family Pedigrees
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: McDiarmid Family Pedigrees  (Read 3968 times)
Biscuits
Administrator
Guru

« on: November 21, 2005, 01:00:51 PM »

We invite you to submit your "Pedigree" for the McDiarmid Family Project Patriarch page. (You don’t have to be a test participant to post your family pedigree.)  

There are two ways to make your pedigree available to the project administrator for posting on the Patriarch Page:
1.  Send the pedigree by email directly to carrie@worldfamilies.net in the simplified form described below  (If you send it this way, your pedigree will only be posted on the Patriarch Page, and will not be included in the Pedigree Forum)
Be sure to include

E
mail address you wish to be posted with the pedigree
                 Kit number of the project participant whose pedigree this is
                 N
ame, birthdate, birthplace, spouse for each generation (direct  male line).

2.  Log-in to post your pedigree on the Pedigree Forum.  By posting your pedigree on the forum, you are making it available for the Project Administrator to post it on the Patriarch Page, along with your contact information, and kit number (or code identity number).

1. You must be logged in to post on this forum.
    How do I register to post a pedigree?
    I've already registered. How do I log in?

2.  Please include your Kit number or Code Identity number if you have been tested for the project.

3. Please read the following instructions, then scroll down to the last posting on this forum and click "reply" in order to post your pedigree.

4. The pedigree for a Surname Project follows your paternal line.  Please post only the information for each generation:

Full Name of Earliest Known Male Ancestor for this Surname
His birthdate
Birthplace
Spouse’s name

(If you are missing any piece of this information, post another bit of identifying information) 

Suggestions for Posting your Pedigree on this forum:

o        Post four pieces of information for each ancestor

o        Begin with the earliest generation

o        Use standard abbreviations:  m=married, b=born, d=died, c=circa, Co=county, VA=Virginia, GA=Georgia, etc

o        Try to keep to one line per generation

o        Include only generations that have this family surname

o        Provide your name and email address as the pedigree provider

o        Provide the kit number and/or project code identity number if pedigree is for a tested participant

o        Use surname with each generation

o        Don’t use all caps

o        Don’t include anyone whose birthdate is after 1910, for privacy concerns.

o        Don’t number the generations 

Scroll down to the last posting on this forum and click "reply". Post your pedigree in the box provided, and click "Post".    

If you do not see a"reply" tab, it means you have lost your log in and will need to log in again in order to post. Go back to the project home page, log in again, and return to the pedigree forum. Login should hold the second time. 

« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 10:52:27 PM by Marilyn » Logged
EDO

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 10:40:13 PM »

Good morning,

Surnames that can be posted on this page includes the following and other variants -

McDERMID
MacDERMAID
McDIARMID

also welocmed -
McDERMOTT

Cheers

EDO
Reyn Nylen
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 07:25:26 PM »

Kenneth MacDermid b. c1832, N. S. m. Jessie Morrison b. c1832, N.S.
Alexander D. MacDermid b. c 1869, Cape Breton m. Florence Hawley b. 7/7/1870
Mary Ruth MacDermid b. 24 May 1908, Antigonish N.S.? m. Agner Raymond Nylen in Honolulu
Raymond Hawley Nylen b.10/10/1935 Honolulu m. Virginia Scriven
Reyn Nylen b. 12/10/1963? Hilo, Hawaii
Alexis MacDiarmid
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 02:07:15 AM »

Great Grandmother, Elizabeth Humphres MacDiarmid 1848-1928  Homesteaded in North Dakota in 1899 Pierce Co. Giard Lake Township
Grandfather Donald MacDiarmid
Father Ivan MacDiarmid

(Ancestors came from Scotland through Canada--I was named after Alexander)
Peter Tucker

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 12:00:24 AM »

I am a descendant of the line commecing George McDiarmid b c1757 Isle of Islay d c1841. I have added further info that I have also such as died dates. Info from Archibald's death date on is new.
My lineage is--
 Donald McDiarmid b c1797 [d c1875] m Catherine Gillies
 George McDiarmid b c1846 [d c1920] m Mary Srewart
 Archibald McDiarmid b c1869 [d c1960] m Sarah Lawson Andrew
 George McDiarmid b c1890 (Glasgow) [d c1960]NZ m Sarah Murray (Bothwell 1917)
     * Andrew McDiarmid b c1917 d 1917 (Bothwell)
     * Mary Lawson Stewart McDiarmid b c1920 (Bothwell)[d c2004]m  Ronald Clifford Tucker  1942 in NZ
     * Sarah Andrew McDiarmid b c1922 (Bothwell) [d c2003] m Jack Hillman in NZ
     * Barbara Steel McDiarmid b c1928 NZ [d 1976]
     * Elizabeth McDiarmid b c1931 NZ
I am the eldest son of Mary Lawson Stewart McDiarmid. The family emmigrated to NZ c1924. There are no surviving male McDiarmids to this line.
NB. I have info that Archibald McDiarmid b c1869 spelt his name in this manner from his marrige certificate on, but prior to that the spelling had always been McDermid. His parents spelling should be McDermid also I believe. Was the spelling changed when the family moved to the mainland possibly to disguise the origin of the family? Does that mean all the previous ancesters should have been McDermid?
Peter Tucker NZ   e-mail peter@valuit.co.nz
vlgill

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 09:58:21 PM »

I am a descendant of Archibald McDiarmid who married Isabella McIntosh in 1838 they were married in Greenock, Scotland. They arrived in Australia in about 1839/40. I have no more information on them at all, i would very much appreciate any help i can get.
Garnet McDiarmid

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 12:25:59 PM »

Duncan McDiarmid, bd unknown before 1700, Kenknock, Glenlochay, Perthshire, Scotland, spouse surname McCarter
Duncan McDiarmid, b1728, Kenknock, m Mary McVean,
Archibald McDiarmid, b1763, Auchlyne, Glen Dochart, Perthshire, Scotland, m Margaret McDiarmid
John McDiarmid, b1790, Wester Ardchyle, Glen Dochart, Perthshire, Scotland, m Margaret McDiarmid
John McDiarmid, b1836, Goshen, McNab Twp., Upper Canada, m Christina Hamilton
Donald McDiarmid, b1894, Boulter, Ontario, Canada, m Myrtle Beam
Garnet McDiarmid

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 12:34:34 PM »

I am interested in comparing Y-DNA analysis with other McDs.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 12:40:18 PM by Garnet McDiarmid » Logged
david macdiarmid

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 05:45:44 PM »

3 brothers, shipbuilders in Edinbourgh,   John, Neil, Angus?/Alex? McDiarmid, join british army in c.1811. They arive in USA c.1812,  procede to the white house and burn it. Retreat to Jamestown Ontario Canada as british deserters and stay for 3 generations.  More than one of their grandsons marries an English girl surname Humphrey. Famlies are not prolific,last 4 homestead in Drake,N Dakota,1904. They were John,Elisibeth,Rosa(aunti),and ? John and Elisibeth had 13 kids. The last Donald Lewis Macdiarmid b.1911 d.1986   1904 'Mc" was replaced with "Mac"    ...and thats how grampa told it; cept fer white house part, thats mine
david macdiarmid

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 08:51:46 PM »

what's the deal with the name MacDiarmid,  It's all over the place...kermitt, dermand ,diarmaid etc. Members of extended families have different pronunciations. Mc vs. Mac and such. I've heard a lot of explanations and none satisfactory.Gramps said "Mac Dur mid and said that in ''''''''''''''olden"times it was MacDurmi. Silent 2nd d but still there in the spelling. Me, the 7 y.o. says "thats against the rules" Gramps assures me that the ancient dead language our name is correctly spelled in had different rules. He never told me the language,I doubt he knew,were it gaelic he would have volenteered it. He told me that we are not decended from royalty,that we're common folk, that our family adopted the name around 1700 when it became "popular" to have a tartan and crest. I ask "how can we just steal a families name"? He said "All the originals died out and the line went extient, there was no one to object. they'ed all been dead for 500 years.    These statements seem to be conflicting with themself, and common knowledge,or explain the number of variations  implying great age. I have created a sinario that will integrate these conflicts and provide meaning and alternative history to the name.  The theory centers around the Abbey of Armits, located inthe basque region of France. The abbey's grounds are pre historic. It is thought founded by early settlers from the levant,Eturia,orAram on account of its roots. The language of the people this abbey has served is basque and the basque people  made this abbey their center of expansion during the middle ages. Those who imigrated were encouraged to adopt a surname prefix of De or dell to Armits, meaning "of Armits". "Di" was specificaly discourged because of it implied diety. These Dearmits were probly at the battle of hastings or followed soonafter. They found a kindred people in argyle,traders frome a thousand years previous;Tartassians/Etuscean/Phonicans mix. Here they ruled underloose  Norman supervision untill their conquest by clan campbell which was about the time of the name adoption, going from DeArmits to McDiarmid was'nt much of a strech,, esp. for the illiterate, however, DeArmits had already undergone a massive profusion of forms, so the name McDiarmid was reborn with many pronuncations. the nature of the Basque language is to change and change fast.By the 1500's it had become so diffused that it had no center and literature became difficult. The result was the "Bearn consolidation" and dictionary. All variant basque languages were lost. What is left is fully understood by none, and partialy understood by all. Basque is related to raet,etus,poni,aram, and cauccus dialects,possibly tartas ibero liguri,straits of armid s/w italy, 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 18 queries.