World Families Forums - Having trouble using these message boards?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 03:18:26 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Having trouble using these message boards?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Having trouble using these message boards?  (Read 3367 times)
LPlantagenet

« on: October 28, 2005, 09:30:55 PM »

I've read and posted on internet message boards for years, but I have never seen any as confusing as these.? When I click on Welcome and Pedigrees at the Britton Forum I can't even? see the messages that have been posted--I can find them only when I click on "Show new replies to your posts" and someone has replied to one of my messages.? If I try to search for a family board,? I get a long list of names that are not in alphabetical order.? While I appreciate the fact that this Forum is here, I fear that the difficulty of using these boards will deter many from participating.? ?No one should have to stop and figure out how to use a message board.

Lindsey
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 05:06:41 PM by terry » Logged
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 03:26:25 PM »

The problem is that this Forum system, unfortunately, doesn't work well with AOL.  If you will use an Internet Explorer browser, you should be able to see all of the content.  My apologies for this shortcoming.  Terry
LPlantagenet

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 09:33:07 PM »

Thank you for your reply.  Maybe I am doing something else wrong, because I do use Internet Explorer.

Lindsey
M. Triplett

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 06:49:51 AM »

Terry...FYI, I am not using AOL service and have the same problem with the board.  I too have been using message boards for years and have to say this is the most difficult board to find information on.  Additionally, I fear that because it is not user friendly, people will get frustrated and move on without posting their genealogy info.

I personally will stay and try and figure it out, but only because my personality doesnt allow anything different <chuckle>

Barb
moondogs

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 08:35:24 PM »

I too am totally confused - I want to join this room hoping to meet with more people interested in my family tree. I have also had a male family member do the 37 marker y-dna and am would like to connect with other.

My files are vast and to post a few names may not do it.

Please start a MacPherson of the Hebrides Page for me.

And could you let me know what to do after I search for the name - which there is none of, and then insert the family line.

Or is it possible just to attach a family website so people can access it and look up the names they might be interested in? And can I just upload my family tree here?

Thanks,
Yvette Moon
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 01:22:59 PM »

Yvette, a part of the problem is that the interest in our site and the expectations of the visitors has been different than we anticipated.

We originally set up the site to support projects that operate on worldfamilies.net   (MacPherson is not one of them)  Soon, we will start providing a Forum site for surnames that request one.

Currently, we do not offer a site where you can post your family tree or substantial files, but we will consider how to do that.

Terry

ps The Moon Surname Project does operate at worldfamilies.net.  We can help you with that surname.  Search for Moon on the WFNForum homepage - or - go to the project site:

http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/m/moon/

moondogs

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 02:58:18 PM »

Terry,

Thanks so much for answering, and yes, I did see the Moon family page. I will be back to visit that one when need be.

I found your site through another name search, I will keep you on favourites and check in from time to time.

Thanks
Yvette Moon
LPlantagenet

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 04:23:16 PM »

Please set up a forum for the name Britton/Bretton/Brittain, etc. 

Lindsey
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 08:28:45 PM »

Lindsey, did you search for Britton?   The Britton Surname has had Forums  for almost a year, with links from the Worldfamilies.net site

(Do your WFN Forum search from the Home page when searching for a Forum and from the Home page or Pedigree Forum when searching for the Pedigree posting Forum)

Here is the discussion Forum

http://www.wfnforum.net/index.php?board=869.0

And a Pedigree Forum - where a number of folks have posted their pedigrees:

http://www.wfnforum.net/index.php?topic=2440.0

best regards,  Terry
LPlantagenet

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 10:09:26 PM »

Thank you--I misunderstood you--I thought you meant a new kind of Forum that would be easier to use.  I do read and post at the Britton Forum, but I have difficulty with it.  I was the first to post a pedigree there.

Lindsey
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 10:58:57 PM »

I added a link on the Conner home page to the Conner Forum.  Sorry about the ommission.  Terry
tcouncil

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 07:59:30 PM »

I realize I am new and my skills are lacking, but I am really confused on how to use the message boards.  I am using internet explorer right now.
hexdump

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 08:11:57 PM »

Cash family boards/pedigree
http://www.wfnforum.net/index.php?topic=2366.0

Shows nothing.

Yet when I click on the BIG HERE word,  link to post to it:
http://www.wfnforum.net/index.php?topic=2365.0;action=post;

You can see 3 trees posted. By Sheri, Bill, and me.
JHunt

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 12:47:15 PM »

I've read and posted on internet message boards for years, but I have never seen any as confusing as these.? When I click on Welcome and Pedigrees at the Britton Forum I can't even? see the messages that have been posted--I can find them only when I click on "Show new replies to your posts" and someone has replied to one of my messages.? If I try to search for a family board,? I get a long list of names that are not in alphabetical order.? While I appreciate the fact that this Forum is here, I fear that the difficulty of using these boards will deter many from participating.? ?No one should have to stop and figure out how to use a message board.

Lindsey
Agreed. I wanted to post a section of my pedigree but couldn't figure it out. Smart enough for an Ivy League college, but too dumb to figure out how to traverse this program. For Heaven's sake, please sort lists alphabetically, not a difficult programming job.

jo
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 01:26:44 PM »

EVERYONE: PLEASE use the search feature at the top of this page to find your surname. 

Hexdump - that was an oversight - our apologies - those pedigrees are no posted at the CAsh Patriarch page.

Our problem is one of manpower, as we are overwhelmed, just trying to keep up.  We have added hundreds of surname projects since originally setting up the Forum. 

My son created the Forum - and immediately left for a tour in Iraq.  Once he  returns, we hope to make some further improvements to the site.  He has fussed at me from the "sandbox" (as he calls it) telling me to put those Forums in order.  When I never catch up on emails, there is no time for this aspect.

In the meantime, I would plead that you use the search feature, as it is much faster than scrolling - even if we had found the time to put all of the Boards into alphabetical order.

Terry
KarenKdenver

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 10:40:18 PM »

Terry, I am new this very night, and first, after having read the postings in this forum, I want to thank your son for putting his life on the line in Iraq for our country.  Whatever the problems are on this site, can't compare to what he is going through, and he still has the patience to help you.  Second, I was thrilled to find a Kellogg family forum.  When I tried to go to the web site a message told me it wasn't there, or the page was expired.  I'll have to return, when I have time to fill in all the pedigree I have.  Am I the first Kellogg?  I couldn't find any others, except two who have married Kellogg women.  Finally, thank you for all you do, I greatly appreciate it. KarenKdenver
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 18 queries.