World Families Forums - EATONS from Antrim, Ireland (to Scotland and beyond)

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 12:32:11 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'E'
| | |-+  Eaton (Moderator: Doug MacMillan )
| | | |-+  EATONS from Antrim, Ireland (to Scotland and beyond)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EATONS from Antrim, Ireland (to Scotland and beyond)  (Read 3376 times)
Big Jase

« on: October 12, 2005, 09:55:39 AM »

I am the great great grandson of Samuel Eaton born in Ballymena and Agnes Morrow also from Antrim. 

His parents before that were Robert Eaton and Martha Grant.  We believe that Robert was the brother of John Eaton, father of Timothy Eaton, (Eaton Corporation) who went to Canada in the mid 19th century.  This information has been passed down the generations to those living today.  I've actually been told that at one point that Timothy, when settled invited all the Ballymena Eatons and their kin over to Canada to work for him.  My gg also Samuel had the opportunity but chose not to go, but his brother William did and settled in Canada.

My own ggg Samuel chose in his wisdom chose to come to Scotland where there are many descendants today, scattered round the Larkhall area.  Indeed I live only 1000 yards from their house that was the family abode back in the late 19th century.

Due to the poor record capabilities of the Irish (blamed it on a fire) I've struggled to get any more details on Robert Eaton and Martha Grant and would be grateful if anyone could assist. 

If you are connected to my Eaton's I would be glad to hear from you, as I have a photograph of the family from circa 1880 showing Samuel and Agnes and some of their surviving children.

Cheers

Jason
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 08:56:17 PM by Marilyn » Logged
aeaton

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 04:25:58 PM »

Hi, Jason,
I just stumbled upon this Eaton forum and enjoyed your post....I may not be able to help you with your Scottish Eatons, but I wanted to share this with you:? ?My birth surname is Eaton, my Eatons came from England to Dedham, MASS in 1635.? ? That's my father's side.? ? However, on my mother's side, I am descended from Samuel Cabeen (he is my ggg) who came from Ballymena, Ireland to PA around the time of the War of 1812.? ?My mind did a loop-de-loop!? ?The Cabeens were actually MacBean (MacBain) who, after the 1745, settled in Antrim County Ireland, leaving their beloved Highlands.? ?So, then, Samuel left PA and finally settled in Illinois...they were pioneers.? ?Samuel's plaid still is in existence in a museum, by the way.? ?The Eatons went to New York state and finally over to Iowa, also pioneers.? ?My parents met somewhere in Illinois / Iowa and married, raising us in Illinois.? ?I currently live in Maine which has many, many Eatons -- I believe them to be from Francis of the Mayflower.? ?Deer Isle, Maine is heavily populated with Eatons.? ? ?Anway, thanks for letting me share the Ballymena connection, even if it was from the "wrong side" of the family!? ?I hope, very much, to travel to Scotland and Ireland one of these days to visit the ancestral lands of the Cabeens.... I'm mighty proud of both the Eaton lineage and the Scottish heritage...
All Best to you and if I learn of anything of the Scottish Eatons I shall drop you a line,
Anne Eaton
Biscuits
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 05:05:42 PM »

If you haven't already done so, I recommend posting your family tree on our pedigree forum.  All pedigrees posted on that page will be transfered to the official surname project website, so that other researchers may find you and contact you:
http://www.wfnforum.net/index.php?topic=2039.0

If you want to see the pedigrees and results of other researchers, please go to the project website.  You may find other researchers already working on the same family lines that you are:
http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/e/eaton

Also, here is a direct link if you want to go ahead and order a DNA test.  Keep in mind that even folks that are not direct paternal/maternal decendants of this line can still get tested.  To do so, find a relative who IS a direct decendant and sponsor their test for them.  We provide comparison for test results for our project members on our surname websites, and you can use FamilyTreeDNA or Y-search to do a global comparison match (over 1/2 million DNA tests for genealogy have been conducted so far):
http://www.familytreedna.com/DNAList.asp?Group=Eaton

Also, please check out our website if you want to learn more about DNA testing and genealogy at:
www.worldfamilies.net
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 18 queries.