World Families Forums - David Thacker DNA Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 05, 2015, 03:06:13 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'S'
| | |-+  Swift (Moderator: swiftAdmin)
| | | |-+  David Thacker DNA Profile
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Thacker DNA Profile  (Read 134 times)
Karl M Thacker

« on: May 12, 2015, 11:04:48 AM »

Hello

I thought I’d introduce myself in case you’ve noticed the David Thacker record on the YDNA chart.

My name is Karl Thacker, from West Des Moines, Iowa.  After a couple of paper dead-ends in the past I recently began a refocused online search into my direct paternal line.  A couple of misunderstood uses of middle names later, my searching stops at a David Thacker.  His supposed birth information is: born about 1790 in Louisa Co., Virginia, to Mary (Branham) Dalton, with no record of a father.  I say ‘supposed’ because the birth date is taken from his statements on later census; we can only assume Louisa for the place of birth since all noted events until adulthood are located there; there is no mention anywhere of his father, and the only mention of a mother is in a will which a Mary (Branham) Dalton includes ‘David Thacker and Robert Thacker’ is a listing of ‘my children’, the bulk of which are named Dalton.  

I can tell you Mary Branham Dalton comes from the Virginia Melungeon, and her Native American lineage is unquestioned by modern day Monacan tribe members.  Thacker is also recorded as a ‘white’ name taken by some Saponi Indian at the time.  

Upon receipt of my Family Tree YDNA-37 test results, my matches dropped to just 9:  3 Swift at Distance 1; 3 Sanders at Distance 2; 1 Knuckles at Distance 3; and 2 unspecified ancestor at Distance 4.  (Knuckles is interesting because that was a ‘white’ surname taken by some Monacan tribe members, but I also have seen records of marriage in Louisa between Swift and Knuckles)

What I know or believe of my paternal line is: 4th gr-grandfather David Thacker, b. abt 1790, Louisa Co, VA, married Feb. 12, 1816 to Sally/Salley Lemay, b. abt 1777, Louisa Co., VA   Their son/my 3rd gr-grandfather, Thomas Benjamin Thacker, Sr, b. Dec. 11, 1809, Louisa Co, VA, married June 8, 1829 to Nancy Ann Vaughn, b. May 22, 1812, VA.  Note Thomas’ birth is 7 years prior to the marriage of his parents, David and Sally.  Once married, David and Sally then have 4 children within 6 years (an additional 3 starting in 1826).  What has always seemed odd to me with Thomas’ out-of-wedlock birth is that  it’s 7 years before his supposed parents finally marry.  And once they do marry they have several children one after the other.   Why the odd pairing of events/behaviors?

I have found mention in a Virginia Penitentiary record listing of 2 behavior notes for a David Thacker (and Henry Thacker) n 1809.  My David Thacker?  No clue.  Between the times, the Melungeon, and the records lost during the War of 1812, who’s to say if any record exists which would clarify who is this David Thacker.  (I’ve seen mention of at least 2 other David Thacker in or around Louisa in the late 1700s to mid-1800s)  I also know that Virginia did offer to allow prisoners to serve their time as soldiers in the war instead of staying in the prison.  Once the war was over they were to be released.  Was my David Thacker a prisoner who then became a soldier?  Does this explain the distance between the birth of Thomas Sr, marriage of his parents, and birth of his siblings?  I wonder if my Swift connection exists with the birth of Thomas.  Was he always raised as David’s son when he truly was not?  

The Thacker males were in Virginia until birth dates would indicate they moved to Vinton Co, Ohio about 1835.  They remained in Ohio until the 1890s when my gr-grandfather Thomas Elton Thacker moved to Missouri. 

I realize I’m rambling on non-Swift specific events.  Some of it is to explain the situation, some of it is always in the hopes of someone saying ‘Funny you should mention….’   You just never know.  

Thank you in advance for any time or thoughts anyone may have on the situation.

Karl Thacker
West Des Moines, Iowa

FTDNA:  N118186
YSEARCH.org:  7ZQAU  
GedMatch:  FN118186
Ancestry.com Public Tree: ‘ThackerHensley’
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 08:43:06 PM by Karl M Thacker » Logged

Primary focus right now is 1700s Virginia Melungeon and its part in my direct paternal line.
Karl M Thacker

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 01:20:08 PM »

Things have changed slightly with my testing now at 67 markers. I am down to a single Swift, several Sanders, and now variations on Girard/Gerard/Garard, as well as a Dorey and Garnett. However, my profile still closes matches the Swift R1b Lineage 1 profile.

If anyone has any information or theories on Swift-Sanders, I'd love to hear it.

Genetic
Distance   Full Name   Most Distant Ancestor
3   Mr. Alan K Swift   Swift
3   Ms. Charla Murphy - Sanders   William Sanders d. 1803
4   Mr. Carl William Knuckles IV   N/A
4   Lisa Walker   William Sanders, d. 1803
4   David Spencer Sanders   William Sanders, d. 1803
4   Mr. Glen Sanders   William Sanders, d. 1803
5   Steven William Knuckles   N/A
6   Mr. Roy F. Girard   Elias Gerard b. 23 JUL 1732, Long Island, NY
6   Mr. J. Gerard   (FFRMA ) Rev John Garard b abt 1720 d 1787 VA/WV
6   William Garard   Rev. John Garard b.abt 1720, d.19 Aug 1787, VA
6   Michael Alan Dorey   Nicholas Dorey, 1809-1891
6   Doug GARNETT   N/A

Primary focus right now is 1700s Virginia Melungeon and its part in my direct paternal line.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 19 queries.