At this time, there are five male LEALs who have done a Y-DNA test.? Their oldest known paternal ancestors are:
1. LEAL, Avelardo born round about 1870 in Mexico (LEAL branch in Mexico);
2. LEAL, Jose, born in 1770 from Los Ramones in Mexico (LEAL branch in Mexico);
3. LEAL, Manuel born on 8 January 1868 on the Isle of Pico in the Azores, Portugal (LEAL branch in the USA and Portugal);
4. LEAL Joao Soares born in 1845 in Sao Gabriel, Rio Grande do Sul, in Brazil (*) (LEAL branch in Brazil); and
5. LEAL, Cruz, born in the early 19th century in Ubaque in Colombia. (LEAL branch in Colombia and the Netherlands).
(*). The name of this oldest known paternal ancestor may be either LEAL SOARES, Joao or LEAL, Joao Soares.? To put it differently, Soares may be either part of the surname of this individual or his second forename.? This is unclear.
None of the abovementioned LEALs share a common paternal ancestor.? In other words, there are at least five unrelated LEAL branches.