World Families Forums - DNA testing a new tool for genealogists

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 03:14:01 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Special Forums - Note: You must be Logged In to Post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Questions and News Articles of the Week
| | |-+  DNA testing a new tool for genealogists
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DNA testing a new tool for genealogists  (Read 872 times)
Marilyn Teaff Barton
Administrator
Guru

« on: August 15, 2005, 09:56:25 PM »

By JAMES M. BEIDLER
Lebanon Daily News August 15, 2005

If you're trying to remember an Internet Web site's URL from memory, it can lead you astray quickly if you leave just one letter off it.

That's how I found out that there is such a thing as the International Society of Grid Generation, which has the lofty mission "to promote, organize and coordinate various activities in grid generation."

After that detour, I found what I was really looking for: the International Society of Genetic Genealogy.

As with most details dealing with the still new but quickly growing DNA side of genealogy, this society is relatively new.

The premise behind the society is to promote DNA testing while educating the general public about how it can help them with genealogy. Most of the people involved with this society are "project administrators" of DNA genealogy projects.

These projects can take many forms, but the focus of most is an attempt to show through genetic markers whether people with the same surname share a common ancestor.

The society has a truly international membership indeed, DNA genealogy is one of the most global aspects of the hobby with members residing in Australia, Barbados, Belgium, Canada, England, Germany, Ireland, New Zealand, Philippines, Spain, Switzerland, Wales and the United States.

The society has a speaker's bureau to aid in its educational efforts and serves as a clearinghouse for both success stories as well as troubleshooting.

Among the success stories is one of two men who shared the same surname and family lore that they descended from Pilgrims who arrived on the Mayflower. However, both men's genealogical paper trails ended well short of the 1600s. Both men took a DNA test and matched with a "papered" descendant of the Mayflower.

One of the society's members, a DNA project administrator named Charles F. Kerchner Jr., has compiled the Genetic Genealogy DNA Testing Dictionary a glossary of the many terms needed in such a study. The society's "Resources" pages links to Kerchner's site.

And, oh yes, the correct URL for this group is www.isogg.org I advise not leaving out the first letter O!

Click here for the rest of the article.

WFN_Editor

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 17 queries.