World Families Forums - I haplo-group

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 10:51:44 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Y-Haplogroups
| | |-+  I haplo-group
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I haplo-group  (Read 5068 times)
Carolyn Brown
« on: July 19, 2005, 10:35:04 AM »

My cousin had his DNA tested for me and is in the I haplo-group. I believe that is Scandinavian. The surname is Mosley and he has a couple of 37/37 matches and a few 24/25 Mosely matches. However he also has 115 12/12 matches that are non-Mosley names. Many of these names sound Scandinavian. Can anyone tell me a bit more about the I haplo-group?
Peter J. Roberts
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 06:08:55 PM »

More on Y chromosome haplogroup I is available at http://www.northwestanalysis.net/. Haplogroup I includes more than Scandinavians.  The 37/37 matches and are significant (same surname or not).  The 24/25 matches with other Moselys show they both share the same Mosely ancestor on their direct paternal line.

Sincerely, Peter

Peter J. Roberts
DNA Pin-Back Buttons
http://home.comcast.net/~libpjr1/dnapins.htm
Stevo

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 12:14:32 PM »

More on Y chromosome haplogroup I is available at http://www.northwestanalysis.net/. Haplogroup I includes more than Scandinavians.? The 37/37 matches and are significant (same surname or not).? The 24/25 matches with other Moselys show they both share the same Mosely ancestor on their direct paternal line.

Sincerely, Peter

Peter J. Roberts
DNA Pin-Back Buttons
http://home.comcast.net/~libpjr1/dnapins.htm

Cool buttons, Peter.

When I find out what my haplogroup is, I may order one.

What about bumper stickers and license plate frames?

I'm serious.
Paul_Sheats

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 01:58:28 PM »

I just ordered my deep dish pizza for my estimated haplogroup (I1a).  I'm curious if it will narrow down the country, as I believe my ancestors were Dutch. 
Stevo

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 10:16:21 AM »

I just ordered my deep dish pizza for my estimated haplogroup (I1a).? I'm curious if it will narrow down the country, as I believe my ancestors were Dutch.?

When are the results due, Paul?

I thought the Sheats/Sheetz family was German, the current spelling being an anglicization of Schuetz (the e represents the spelling of u with an umlaut, which I haven't figured out how to do on this computer).
Paul Sheats
Project Coordinator

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 10:23:34 PM »

Stevo, I got them back already.  I am confirmed I1a by the SNP test.   

I am not so sure about the German in my case.  The Sheets project already has three different haplogroups,
and the R1b's consist of a Schuetz and Sheetz as their earliest ancestors.   So far in searching my own Sheets
ancestors, I have not run into any c's or z's yet in the spelling, and they go back to the late 1700's in Canada.
Myself and the other fellow are I1a and J2, respectively, so we may be horses of different colors. 

Paul
Stevo

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 10:36:27 AM »

Stevo, I got them back already.? I am confirmed I1a by the SNP test.? ?

I am not so sure about the German in my case.? The Sheets project already has three different haplogroups,
and the R1b's consist of a Schuetz and Sheetz as their earliest ancestors.? ?So far in searching my own Sheets
ancestors, I have not run into any c's or z's yet in the spelling, and they go back to the late 1700's in Canada.
Myself and the other fellow are I1a and J2, respectively, so we may be horses of different colors.?

Paul

Oh! There are a lot of R1bs in Germany, that is true.

Could your Sheats surname be English or Scandinavian? What makes you think your family came from the Netherlands?

I'm not arguing with you; I hope it doesn't sound like that. I'm just curious.
Paul Sheats
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 02:54:44 PM »

There are a few reasons I think this.  My dad always told me his Sheats/Sheets were Dutch.  Many of the Sheets
in Ontario were listed as Dutch in the censuses, although some were listed as German as well.  There was a book
written in 1940 on the Johan Sheets family.  He supposedly came from Holland in 1682 as part of the second
colonization of William Penn.  The book lists no sources, however.  But many of the earliest censuses in the U.S.
have the spelling Sheets, and descendants of this Johan Sheets line can be found very early, mainly in the states of
Maryland, Virginia, Ohio and Indiana.  But then you find those Sheets who came later, mostly in the state of
Pennsylvania, but also in the south, who seem to have retained more of the spellings with C and Z.  I'm not saying
that my Sheets name could not have been spelled differently at the time they came over, but it if was, it was
changed to Sheets rather early in the states.  My theory is that there is a connection between the Sheets in
Ontario, and the Johan Sheets line in the U.S., since Johan supposedly had a large family, but the book only
accounts for one of his sons, who had four sons.  Where did the others go?  My guess is one or probably more
than one went to Canada in the 1700's.   

Also, how else would you account for the different haplogroups among this name.  Chances are they did not
all originate in the same place.  The other possibility is that there was indeed confusion of the Pennsylvania Dutch
being Dutch instead of German.    On the other hand, I1a would support being from North or Northwest Europe
(ie. Holland) more than from Germany, wouldn't it?   Let's just say I'm not convinced either way.
Stevo

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 08:51:58 AM »

There are a few reasons I think this.? My dad always told me his Sheats/Sheets were Dutch.? Many of the Sheets
in Ontario were listed as Dutch in the censuses, although some were listed as German as well.? There was a book
written in 1940 on the Johan Sheets family.? He supposedly came from Holland in 1682 as part of the second
colonization of William Penn.? The book lists no sources, however.? But many of the earliest censuses in the U.S.
have the spelling Sheets, and descendants of this Johan Sheets line can be found very early, mainly in the states of
Maryland, Virginia, Ohio and Indiana.? But then you find those Sheets who came later, mostly in the state of
Pennsylvania, but also in the south, who seem to have retained more of the spellings with C and Z.? I'm not saying
that my Sheets name could not have been spelled differently at the time they came over, but it if was, it was
changed to Sheets rather early in the states.? My theory is that there is a connection between the Sheets in
Ontario, and the Johan Sheets line in the U.S., since Johan supposedly had a large family, but the book only
accounts for one of his sons, who had four sons.? Where did the others go?? My guess is one or probably more
than one went to Canada in the 1700's.? ?

Also, how else would you account for the different haplogroups among this name.? Chances are they did not
all originate in the same place.? The other possibility is that there was indeed confusion of the Pennsylvania Dutch
being Dutch instead of German.? ? On the other hand, I1a would support being from North or Northwest Europe
(ie. Holland) more than from Germany, wouldn't it?? ?Let's just say I'm not convinced either way.

Sounds good to me. There is often something to family traditions. The Netherlands, like Germany, is about 55-60% R1b, but I think I1a is the second largest y-haplogroup there. That double-e spelling looks Dutch anyway.
Paul_Sheats

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 01:21:38 PM »

I just recently found some "Schuetze" families in the Quebec census, and the birthplaces are listed as Holland. 
I guess it's possible that some of the Schuetz in Germany moved to Holland, but that still doesn't explain the
different haplogroups.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 17 queries.