World Families Forums - Help Prove the Winslow Origins

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 07:45:01 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'W'
| | |-+  Winslow (Moderator: winslowAdmin)
| | | |-+  Help Prove the Winslow Origins
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help Prove the Winslow Origins  (Read 1054 times)
sjwinslow

« on: July 08, 2005, 03:54:49 PM »

Help Prove the Winslow Origins

Would you like to be an integral part of an exciting project to chart the Winslow origins using Y-DNA testing? This endeavor will use the scientific proof of DNA with the trusted research methods of genealogy to fill some gaps in current records of the Winslow lineage.

Through my research of Winslow Genealogy, I have discovered several questionable links in the Winslow family tree. Now we have an opportunity to conduct a higher level of research that could provide key answers.

The Timothy Winslow Connection

One example of the many questions to be answered by this effort is the mysterious ancestry of Timothy Winslow (b. abt. 1654). Even though the last 50 years of research has provided significant subjective evidence that Joseph Winslow (b. abt 1627) is his father, no hard document exists showing their relationship.

If the connection to Joseph can be proven, then the descendents of Timothy can be proud to be direct descendant of John Winslow (b. 1597) and Mary Chilton (b.1605). Mary, a Mayflower passenger, is credited by some as the first Pilgrim woman to set foot in the new world (See http://www.pilgrimhall.org/hpbacon.htm ). John Winslow, a successful shipping merchant, was said to be the richest man in the country during his time and brother to Governor Edward Winslow (b. 1599). These are only a few of the many historically significant connections that can potentially be made.

Other Lineage Questions

Additionally, other branches of the Winslow family have expressed interest in a Y-DNA test to help prove their ancestry. Some believe they have origins in Ireland and want to know if they are related to the English ancestors of Edward Winslow (b. 1560). Another group believe they descend from Kenelm Winslow (b. 1599), brother of John and Gov. Edward Winslow, but have links missing from their lineage. These questions just scratch the surface of possibilities to be discovered by the Winslow DNA project.

How the Project Works

Even though the Y-DNA test is only available for males with a Winslow surname, or other spellings of the Winslow name, if you?re a female, please don?t feel left out. You can perform a critical role to recruit your male relatives or sponsor a key descedent we'll provide you for testing.

The Relative Genetics laboratory, based in Salt Lake City (but not affiliated with the Mormons), is used to perform the Y-DNA testing. Their lab is an ISO 17025 certified facility providing the highest quality tests while assuring the privacy of their clients. During my evaluation, I interviewed several family project coordinators (individuals managing their independent project) who use the two top labs that perform DNA testing. Based on those interviews and my own research, Relative Genetics proved to provide the highest quality, the fastest test turn around and the lowest cost.

The Y-DNA test will consist of a simple cotton swab rubbed on the inside of the cheek to collect DNA material. There are no blood tests and no pain. Results of the test should be received in about two to three weeks after the sample is received in the lab.

There are three levels of ?genetic marker? testing provided. The Tree Pruner (15 markers), Line Verifier (24 markers), and Lineage Establisher (37 markers). The larger the number of markers, the more certain we can be in determining the Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA). The project coordinators I spoke with have run successful projects for a number of years. They recommend the 24-marker test for our type of project. They said someone could save money up front with the 15-marker test and get a general idea of whether or not they are related to a branch of relatives, but inevitably they would spend more to upgrade to the 24-marker test to locate the common relative.

I have 20+ years experience in project management in the corporate world and I have been a certified Project Management Professional for 10 years. I am happy to contribute my expertise to this project as its coordinator and plan to be the first to take the 24-marker test if enough others are interested. I feel this is an excellent opportunity for me to return something to the genealogy community that has given me so much support, assistance and encouragement during the last few years I?ve been involved in genealogy.

Will you join with me in this exciting endeavor to write a new record in Winslow history? E-mail me your name and mailing address. I?ll have a test kit sent to you and you can decide which of the marker options (15, 24 or 37) you would like when you send the test back to Relative Genetics with your payment.

If you would like more information on Y-DNA testing or the value of the different quantity of markers, please see? Winslow Family Y-DNA or send me an e-mail with your questions, and I?ll get them answered. You can also read the current results at DNA reuslts.

If you decide this project is not right for you now, please forward this message to as many people you think might like to help. Remember, we are not just looking for male Winslows to perform the test, but we are also looking for anyone who is willing to help correlate the documented genealogy with the testing. If you know of someone who might be interested in the test but doesn?t have e-mail, please print this message and send it to them. Or let me know their address and I?ll drop them a note via snail mail.

Thanks for your interest, and remember to reply to the e-mail link below with your name and mailing address so I can have a test kit sent to you.

I look forward to working with you.

Stephen Winslow
sjwinslow@gmail.com
http://www.winslowtree.com
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 05:45:16 PM by sjwinslow » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 18 queries.