World Families Forums - Extreme genealogy

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 05:14:58 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Special Forums - Note: You must be Logged In to Post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Questions and News Articles of the Week
| | |-+  Extreme genealogy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Extreme genealogy  (Read 1079 times)
Marilyn Teaff Barton
Administrator
Guru

« on: July 02, 2005, 08:49:42 PM »

By Megan Lane
BBC News Magazine?
?
A family tree researched by conventional methods can only go back so far before patchy records stymie progress. Now amateur genealogists are turning to DNA testing to trace their ancestry. But how much can this tell us about where we come from?
My family tree is rooted in Scotland, as far back as my mother has managed to trace the branches. But having reached the early 1800s, the trail has gone cold. There are blanks, dead-ends and inconsistencies thanks to lost, absent or incomplete written records.
It's a frustration shared with amateur genealogists the world over. But a record that can never be lost or incomplete is now available to those who wonder "where do I come from?" - their DNA. Thanks to recent breakthroughs in genetic testing, scientists claim they can trace our origins back tens of thousands of years - for a price.

US firms such as Family Tree DNA and DNAPrint Genomics offer services such as telling you if you are related to Native Americans and other racial groups. And in the UK, several operators offer a range of DNA tests for ancestry research.

Click here for the rest of the article

WFN_Editor

fitz-patrick

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 03:12:04 PM »

For those tracing their Irish Celtic roots, It takes a lot of digging, but you can come up with some very interesting results.  Using family records, letters, bibles, and interviews along with older manuscripts such as "Loca Patriciana", The Four Masters, older histories of Ireland, and the Bible, then coupling that with existing research from the Mormon Research Center, I was able to track my ancestory right back to the Biblical Adam and Eve.  Admitedly, once I tracked my roots back into Sythia, things got a little tough to track using the Bible as a source.  Things became a little clearer when I used other author's interpretations of Biblical genealogy.  I have most confidence back to King Melesius of Spain who wed Scotia and traveled north to Ireland.  Tracking Celtic migrations from Austria down into Spain is very difficult indeed especially since they were being constantly harrassed by the Romans.  Things get even more vague trying to trace Celtic roots into Austria and surrounding area from Sythia. Prior to Sythia it's almost impossible to weed out whether you settle for the "lost Tribe" theory out of the mid east, the "banishment" theory out of Judea, or perhaps the theory that our group was on the rebound from excursions back into India and China.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 17 queries.