World Families Forums - Which DNA kit?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 08:04:44 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Which DNA kit?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which DNA kit?  (Read 1963 times)
Sandra Hunter
« on: June 05, 2005, 06:42:11 PM »

We want to add my husband to the Hunter DNA project for his birthday at the end of this month but this DNA thing is really confusing to me. Is it better to buy the 37 marker kit? I want to get the best one but the right one. We have no idea which Hunter line he belongs to....Thank you ..Sandra Hunter
Networkwiz

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 10:10:07 AM »

I did my test through FTDNA.COM and went for the Y-DNA 37 marker test.? The 12 marker test gives you a lot of false matches.? Unless you and a match share the same last name, it is probably not enough.? I have 6 matches on my 12 marker but no matches on my last name, but when I expand to the 25, I only have 2 matches.? However, they have a genetic distance of 1, and they were not any that were in the 12 marker group.? This shows that my six 12 marker matches were not really relations.? So far I have no exact 37 marker matches.

The more markers you test, the more precise the matches.
Sandra Hunter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 06:12:43 PM »

Thanks...I ordered the 37 marker kit..would have liked to seen more people in the Hunter project but there has to be a ground floor to every project. 
John Robertson
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 05:48:35 PM »

IF you get the FT DNA test, it takes about 6 weeks.
I now have the 37 marker test, after starting with the 25 marker, and it has given me about 12 perfect matches, except for one column, and I am the only one of the 12 that has that particular marker. ?This indicates, apparantly, that the mutation is fairly recent, possibily even as close as my father, or grandfather.
We are all considering me a full match.
I have contacted or been contacted by several of the matches, already, and the concensus is that I probably devolve from a brother, cousin, uncle etc. of the one they are related to. (YDNA is straight male line only).
The contacts that you will come up with are the actualities, as the test, itself, ?WON'T give you names, places, dates etc. ?Only the probibility that you match someone else who has been tested.
For me, it has been a big help towards getting over, around or through my brick wall. ?More matches show as others take the tests. ?(Im still looking for the stick of dynamite, bulldozer or stepladder to get past it!).
Good luck, John
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 17 queries.