World Families Forums - Call for New England & NY McClures

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 09:22:56 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'M'
| | |-+  McClure (Moderator: Dennis McClure)
| | | |-+  Call for New England & NY McClures
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Call for New England & NY McClures  (Read 1911 times)
dmcclure

« on: October 24, 2007, 01:52:42 PM »

The McClure DNA project needs to hear from McClure's that descend from the old McClure families of New England and NY. The NY McClure's were from Broome, Tioga, Orange, and Cattaraugus Counties. The New England McClure's pretty much cover the states of New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Connecticut, and Massachusetts.

If you think your McClure ancestors were part of the Ulster-Scot migration from Northern Ireland in the early 1700's into New England, please contact me.

Specific McClure lines (all with New England Ties) are of specific interest. We would like to hear from you;

1. Merrimac NH McClure line. William McClure m. Nancy Arbuckle early 1700's
2. Boston McClure line from Samuel McClure Elder at rev Moorheads church early 1700's
3. Brookfield Mass. McClure lines, descend from David McClure and Agnes early 1700's
4. Chester NH McClure line of David McClure & Martha Glenn early 1700's
5. Chester NH McClure line of James McClure & Jean Andrews early 1700's
6. Cattaraugus County, NY McClure lines early 1800's
7. Broome County McClure Lines late 1700's
8. Vermont McClure Lines mid to late 1700's
9. Orange County NY McClure lines mid 1700's
10 Connecticut NY Lines late 1700's

Thanks, Dennis McClure
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 11:13:35 AM by McClureAdmin » Logged
osmarm

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 08:35:07 AM »

Recently found the McClure DNA project and forum.  My name is Mary (McClure)Osmar from Michigan.  My McClure relatives spent several generations in Levis county Quebec marrying French-Canadian women.  Those McClures came to Canada out of Albany, New York.  Earliest known ancestor was Jean (John) McClure, born Abt. 1700 in Forestdale, Barnstable, Massachusetts.  He died in December of 1775 in Quebec City.  He married Jean Phinnes (Finn) whose family was settled around Albany, NY.  Her family were some of the originally settlers of the Orange, Albany area (Finn, Gardinier).  That family was dutch.  Jean McClure was a gunsmith with an English garrison.  That may be what took them north to Quebec.  At any rate they stayed for generations, using several variations of the name, ie. McClure, Maclure, Macluer.  Sometimes even fathers and sons did not spell it the same on marriage documents.  Eventually in the mid 19th century my great-grandfather settled in Bay County, Michigan, where my grandfather, and father were born.  The whole Jean McClure picture is very sketchy.  Once they were in Canada they belonged to the Catholic Church, so the records are very good.  Would love to have you shed some light on Jean (John) McClure and where he came from.  Meanwhile,  I'll talk to one of my brothers about the genetic testing.
Yours.
Mary (McClure) Osmar
Dennis McClure

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 03:42:08 PM »

Hi Mary,

As you may already know I posted your pedigree on the McClure Patriarch Page at;

http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/m/mcclure/pats.html

We appreciate you talking to your Brother about testing, and I wanted to make sure you aware that there is a reduced Holiday rate for two of the Y-DNA tests. Family Tree DNA says the offer is good only to Dec 31, 2007.

Also, have you considered that your John was born in Northern Ireland rather than in Forestdale? The Ulster-Scot migration did not start until 1718. Do you have a source for his birth date and location.

Dennis McClure
JL Weaver

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 02:00:11 PM »

Here are some more NE McClures:

James C. McClure b14 Mar 1768, ?NH, m Deborah Woods b5 Oct 1772, Hollis NH?
   Sally McClure b 9 Sep 1794
   David Woods McClure b 21 Mar 1796 Deering, NH, m Mary Atwood b Feb 1798, Dublin NH
      James Thomas McClure b 1838, Westford VT m1 Phoebe Smith b 1839, Johnson VT
         Hattie Diana McClure b 29 Sept 1869 Westford, VT
   m2 Marian Jordan b1846
         Frank McClure b 1878, Westford VT
   Deborah McClure b 31 Mar 1798
   Elmira McClure b 17 Oct 1799 m Capsus? Majors
   Milly McClure b 4 Sept 1801
   Eliza McClure b 26 Mar 1803
   Polly McClure b 12 Jan 1805 m Norman Robinson
   Lorinda McClure b 18 Apr 1807 m Hiram Church
   Imri McClure b 15 Sept 1809
   Arlem Swallow McClure b 20 Mar 1811
   Alza Amanda McClure b 18 Jan 1813 m John Bailey
   Sarah Ann McClure b 15 Apr 1816

I am descended through Hattie Diana and so can't help your DNA project. Arlem moved to IN and married there. Frank (b 1878) is thought to have living descendents in VT, but I do not have specific details at this time. If anyone has info on James C (b 1768) I would like to hear from you, email me at: JimLWeaver  AT aol.com.
Dennis McClure

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 10:14:03 AM »

Hello Jim,

I have been researching McClure's for over 35 years, more specifically, New England & NY McClure's. Your line is close to home, my McClure's came from Chester NH, but in all my travels I have not seen your line. Do you have any hints/suspicions as to who James MIGHT claim as parents?

I would love to be able to post your pedigree on the McClure DNA Patriarch page. Please let me know, I will need a little more info if you agree.

Dennis McClure
JL Weaver

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 09:00:55 PM »

Hi Dennis,
     Finding the parents of James C. has been my brick wall for over a decade now. In fact I have a folder on my computer titled 'Not our McClures'.

The date of his birth appears to be solid. I have a copy of the pages from the McClure family bible that has all of the information in clear handwriting. The data for his descendents is also there and is confirmed by other sources. James C, however starts the page and there is no indication of who his parents might have been.

The two theories that I have are that either he was a relative from Ireland fresh off the boat or he was an illegitimate son not recorded in the various family listings.

The family alternated James and David over three generations, implying that the father of James C 'should' have been a David. However that is just a guess and I cannot find a David in NH or Mass that fits as the father of James C.

-Jim Weaver
Dennis McClure

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 07:35:54 AM »

Hi Jim,

Please excuse the delay in responding, it has been a hectic December. I am very intrigued with your pedigree. I thought I Knew all the New England McClures.

I don't know if James C. would be illegitimate, but I tell you what, even a 12 marker DNA test (the cheapest) would determine if you tie to the other New England Lines. I hope you consider it. If the 12 show lots of differences from the the other McClure's tested your suspicions may be proved. If they match, it will tale an upgrade of the DNA sample to at least 37 markers to show what line is yours.

Can I post your pedigree on our McClure DNA Project Patriarch Page? You can view them at;
 http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/m/mcclure/pats.html

I am also going to pass on your pedigree to one of our researchers ans see if she has any data on your line. The middle initial "C." could be a clue. Most New England McClures with a "C" in the name stands for Cochran. That is another family closely tied to New England McClures.

Let me know about posting your pedigree? and please stay in touch.

Dennis McClure, Co-Admin, McClure DNA Project
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 20 queries.