World Families Forums - Testing Codes

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2016, 07:47:03 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'B'
| | |-+  Barker (Moderator: Arthur C. Barker)
| | | |-+  Testing Codes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Testing Codes  (Read 467 times)
Arthur C. Barker

« on: October 07, 2015, 11:09:49 PM »

FTDNA has issued a $100.00  code for their Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) test Big Y.  The code is BIGY100 and will be good through Sunday, 11 October 2015.  The ordinary price of this test is $575.00, so the  will reduce that to $475.00.  This is a good , but the price is still pretty high for most of our budgets.  That said, this is essentially a "one and done" test for your yDNA testing.  It will give you all your SNP mutations, both "public" (reviewed and accepted by someone) and "private" (sometimes also called "novel").  Many people recommend that you download your file after you receive your results and pay an additional $50.00 to have your results analyzed by one of the expert DNA interpretative companies.  I have seen examples of YFull's reports and they are very elaborate, including showing results for 479 STRs in addition to all your SNPs.  Moreover, you can send your file to the Big Tree and have your results posted with a large number of other men where you can see how you fit in.  From what I understand, this will complete your yDNA testing, at least for now.

One Member of our Project has taken the Big Y test.  We owe a debt of gratitude to these pioneers because they are discovering the unknown SNPs which get added to Haplotrees that the rest of us can then test for in our Kits.  In addition, the mutations discovered by these tests bring SNP testing potentially into the realm of genealogical time where STRs reside.

To order this test click on the blue "Upgrade" button in the upper right corner of your myDashboard page.  Be sure you remember to enter the  code in the appropriate place.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 09:42:50 PM »

The Holiday Sale is here!

You can check out the sale prices by going to our Order Test page, but I will also mention them here.  As I understand it, these prices will be good through 31 December, Houston time, supposedly.

Y-DNA111 is now $50.00 off at a price of $309.00
Y-DNA67 is now $40.00 off at a price of $228.00
Y-DNA37 is now $30.00 of at a price of $139.00

If you are interested in mitochondrial testing, the Full Sequence test is now $30.00 off at just $139.00.  Darn!  I should have waited.

And for those of you interested in autosomal DNA testing, the Family Finder is now only $89.00, a savings of $10.00 from the regular current price.

In addition to these sales through the end of the year, I understand there will be special coupons on selected tests each Monday that will run for a week.  I will try to let you know what these will be each week if I can.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 02:30:39 AM »

Well, now we are getting a little bit more detail on the extra bonus.  It's called a Mystery Reward and it comes in a big red gift box icon on your Dashboard page.  You can't miss it.  When you click on it, it opens up and you get an extra $5.00 to $75.00 off whatever the test or tests are indicated.  That's on top of the Holiday savings.  Mine this week is an extra $5.00 off any of the three upper level yDNA STR tests.  You can also give these Mystery Rewards to other people, which I suppose is a form regifting.  There will supposedly be a new one sent to you every Monday and also after you order a test.

In addition, I checked on the Big Y test since I imagine there may be a few of you interested in that.  It's on sale now for $525.00, which is not as good as the $100.00 off recently, but beats the ordinary full price of $575.00.

By the way, the e-mail FTDNA sent to Group Administrators confirms the sale prices are good through 31 December 2015.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 12:48:27 AM »

The Co-Administer of R_R1b ALL Subclades Project has provided a very nice price comparison table for people during this Holiday season for STR upgrades.  She lists the standard price, the price when purchased through a group (like our Project) and the current holiday sales price:

12-marker to   37-marker:  $119.00;     $99.00;    $79.00
12-marker to   67-marker:  $209.00;   $189.00;   $151.00
12-marker to 111-marker:  $359.00;   $339.00;   $271.00

25-marker to   37-marker:    $69.00;    $49.00;     $39.00
25-marker to   67-marker:  $168.00;   $148.00;   $118.00
25-marker to 111-marker:  $269.00;   $249.00;   $199.00

37-marker to   67-marker:  $119.00;     $99.00;    $79.00
37-marker to 111-marker:  $240.00;   $220.00;   $176.00

67-marker to 111-marker:  $149.00;   $129.00;   $103.00
Supposedly, the Mystery Rewards coupons for the STR tests will also work with upgrade orders.  I have a $5.00 off coupon for 37-, 67-, or 111-marker tests this week (9-15 November 2015) anyone is welcome to have on a first-come basis if you send me an e-mail.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 04:55:55 PM »

My Mystery Reward coupon for the week starting 23 November 2015 is for $25.00 off of the Next Generation Sequencing test of Big Y.  The code number is R8OJU79UU4L.

Although it's pretty neat giving and receiving one of these through e-mail, all you really need is the code number.  When you go to order a test or an upgrade, you enter the code in an area on the right side of the screen after you tell the software that you have a coupon.  A box opens and you enter the code number.  If the coupon has already been taken, it will tell you that.  But it's very user-friendly and will allow you to enter another code.  Therefore, I would recommend that you collect several of these before you order if you can, unless someone has sent it to you specifically and you have made arrangements with that person to use it exclusively.  Last night, the first and the first and second codes I had for the two tests I ordered had already been used.  If you don't have another code or all the ones you have have already been used, you can always cancel your order at that point and come back at a future time, hopefully with more coupon codes.  <smile>

From what I can gather, the maximum values of the Mystery Rewards appear to be $75.00 for Big Y, $20.00 for mitochondrial DNA tests, $10.00 for the 37-, 67-, and 111-marker STR tests (either new or upgrades to those levels), and $10.00 for the autosomal DNA test Family Finder.  These are in addition to the Holiday Savings until 31 December of this year.

If you wish, you may use this thread as a coupon exchange to post your Mystery Reward coupons that you don't plan to use.  Remember that you must register with World Families Network in order to post on any thread in this Forum.  Although that's free, it's a different Log In from what you use on your Family Tree DNA account.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 10:42:09 PM »

Apparently, Family Tree DNA has extended the holiday sales prices to SNP Packs also.  The R1b-M343 Backbone currently costs $10.00 less at $89.00 and all the others have been reduced by the same amount to $109.00.

According to Mike Walsh, FTDNA is trying to structure the SNP Pack program so that you can test Kits and discover their extended branches to some considerable extent with just two Packs at most instead of incurring the larger expense of a Next Generation Sequencing test, like Big Y.  If your Kit is in yDNA Haplogroup R1b, you first order the Backbone to see which one of the many branches in that Haplogroup its in.  Then, you order a "specialized" SNP Pack that will extend and refine that even more.

For Kits in other yDNA Haplogroups, such as I, a SNP Pack like I-M223 is perfect for you to discover your extended branches.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 04:14:31 PM »

My Mystery Reward coupon for the week starting 30 November 2015 is once again for $25.00 off the Next Generation Sequencing test Big Y.  The code number is R9G2TZNJPY4.

Again, if you have a Mystery Reward coupon that you do not plan to use, feel free to post the code on this thread as a gift for one of your Cousins or fellow Project Members.

Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 03:30:19 PM »

My Mystery Reward coupon for the week ending on 13 December is once again for a Big Y test, but this time for a more attractive $50.00 off.  After the first week of this promotion, back in November, $75.00 Big Y coupons seem to have been scarce.  So, if any of you have an interest in taking the Big Y test, you might consider using this one.  The code number is R10R07WS5CJX.  Those are both zeroes and not Os.

Also, if you are reluctant to post in this forum for some reason, you can send me your coupon code if you do not intend to use it and I will post if for you in this thread so that another Project Member can use it.  FTDNA intended that these  coupons could be gifted to others.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 02:38:38 AM »

Someone came up with a great idea to post coupon codes in an online spreadsheet that is much simpler to enter your Mystery Reward codes in if you do not plan to use them and also to see what codes are available if you are looking for one:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CgXRKz2TySvRqSInveSIYoslO7yexAc9d-BzpNhaY1c/edit?pli=1#gid=1008513213

Notice that these are also date specific for the period 7 through 13 December and will presumably change after that.  Be sure to follow the instructions.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:05:41 PM »

The FTDNA Groups team has been at Rootstech in Salt Lake City this week and had a display that gave coupon codes for testing.  These will apparently be good until 14 February.

Use RT30 to get $30.00 off Y-DNA37, Y-DNA67, Y-DNA111 and mt Full Sequence tests.  I am not sure if this will reduce the price of these tests in addition to our $20.00 off Project reduction or not.  If it doesn't, the reduced price of these tests will be $139.00, $238.00, $329.00, and $169.00, respectively.

If you are interested in the atDNA Family Finder test, use RT89 to get $10.00 off the cost, dropping it to $89.00.

I am not sure if the coupon above applies to Y-DNA STR upgrades, but CGS30 is supposed to give you $30.00 off if you purchase any combination of tests costing $100.00 or more, including upgrades.  I am not sure when it expires.

If you are interested in any these, you can back out of the order if you do see the price reduction reflected in the cost while you are placing it.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 08:16:09 PM »

Family Tree DNA just notified Group Administrators that a Sale has begun or will begin shortly in commemoration of National DNA Day.  It will run until one minute to Midnight on Tuesday, 26 April.  This Sale only applies to new tests and add-ons, which they didn't explain what the latter means.  That could mean that if you order more than one test the sale price could apply to it also.  In any case, it does not apply to yDNA STR upgrades and group discounts will not be accepted.  They plan to hold another Sale in June that will be for or will cover yDNA STR upgrades.  The following are the list of price reductions, which are quite attractive:

Family Finder --       $99.00  to    $79.00
      mtFull Sequence -- $199.00  to  $149.00
      Y-DNA37 --            $169.00  to  $129.00
      Y-DNA67 --            $268.00  to  $199.00
      Y-DNA111 --          $359.00  to  $289.00
      Big Y --                  $575.00  to  $460.00
      SNP Packs --          $119.00  to  $109.00

There is no coupon code for this Sale.  You should see the Sale price at the time you place your order.  If for some reason you do not, then back out of the order and call FTDNA to make sure you receive your reduced price.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #11 on: Today at 02:36:04 PM »

Family Tree DNA is having a three-day Sale for Mother's Day.  It will continue until one minute before Midnight on Mother's Day, 8 June.

It's a bundle offer, combining their Family Finder test for Autosomal DNA (atDNA) and a full sequence test for Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), called mtFull Sequence.  Family Finder is popular because it will look for genetic matches for someone along all their ancestral lines, but only so far.  On average, it will find about 50% of someone's 4th Cousins.  This percentage can be increased if other close relatives, like siblings, also test.  In some ways, mtDNA testing is analogous to yDNA testing.  It examines the straight female line of someone and extends back to the beginning of our species.  But there are also differences and in many cases it is difficult to use for genealogical purposes.  However, it is favorite tool of scientists who do ethnicity and anthropological research.

The Sale price for this Combination is $228.00, or a savings of $70.00 from the regular price.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 19 queries.