World Families Forums - Additional SNP Packs Released

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2016, 03:44:21 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'B'
| | |-+  Barker (Moderator: Arthur C. Barker)
| | | |-+  Additional SNP Packs Released
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Additional SNP Packs Released  (Read 3186 times)
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2016, 01:03:45 AM »

Family Tree DNA has just released five new SNP Packs, bringing the total to 55 now.  All five are being offered at the usual introductory price of $99.00.  They are:

J1-S12192 & BY67
R1b-U152
R1b-Z367
R1b-Z43
R1b-Z49

I also like the fact that they relabeled some of the previous yDNA Haplogroup J SNP Packs so that you can easily tell if they pertain to the J1 or the J2 branches.  We currently do not have any Kits in the Project in J1, so none of these J1 SNP Packs are useful to any of our Members at present.  However, the older J2-M172 SNP Pack would seem to be a good fit for three of our Members who show that ending SNP for now.

We have one Member who has tested to R-U152 and the new R1b-U152 SNP Pack looks like it might be useful unless a decision to take Big Y at some point in the future has been made.  From their currently estimated or tested SNP positions, I do not see any of our other Members being able to utilize the other three new SNP Packs at this time.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2016, 02:19:17 AM »

Family Tree DNA has now deleted the following SNP Pack:

J1-Al-Mubailesh

This brings the total number of SNP Packs available to purchase down to 54.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 11:53:37 PM »

Three more SNP Packs have been released by Family Tree DNA, bringing the total available now to 57.  As is standard, these three new Packs can temporarily be purchased at an introductory price of $99.00.  Except for the R1b-M343 Backbone SNP Pack, all of the others now cost $119.00.  The three new ones are:

I1-CTS10028
I1-CTS6364
J1-Z1842

It is impossible to know if either of the two new I1 SNP Packs would be of interest to our I1 Members because these are advanced Packs and all of our Members are at the default level according to what it shown in our y-Results table.  If they have guidance from the relevant Haplogroup project, perhaps one of these would be useful.  There are no J1 Members in our Project currently, so the third SNP Pack is not of any interest to anyone here.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 01:32:47 AM »

Family Tree DNA has just introduced a 58th SNP Pack at the customary introductory price of $99.00.  Except for the R1b-M343 Backbone SNP Pack, all of the others now cost $119.00.  The new SNP Pack, R1b-Z2185, is an advanced one, out from one of the multitudinous sub-branches of R-DF13, the one caused by the SNP mutation R-ZZ10_1.  As far as I can tell from the Kits that have done any SNP testing, this new SNP Pack would not be of any use for any of our Members.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 10:25:10 PM »

Family Tree DNA has added four new SNP Packs recently, bringing the total now to 62.  All of them are priced at the introductory cost of $99.00 for now.  The four are:

J1-FGC1713
J1-FGC4415
R1b-L226
R1b-Z36

The two new J1 SNP Packs are in the branch associated with the SNP Mutation M267, which has its highest geographic concentration in the Arabian Peninsula and across the Red Sea in northeastern Africa.  Of course, like many other yDNA Haplogroups, it has spread extensively from its origin.  The SNP Pack defined by L226 is a very advanced one beyond the ZZ10_1 sub-branch of DF13.  The Z36 SNP Pack is for one of the sub-branches of U152, a sister sub-branch of my own L21.

In addition to these four new SNP Packs, supposedly FTDNA has lowered the prices on two others, J1-S12192 & BY67 and J1-Z1842, back to their introductory cost of $99.00 for some unknown reason.  Perhaps the new J1 SNP Packs and the price reductions are in conjunction with the deletion of the previous J1-Al-Mubailesh SNP Pack in July of this year.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2016, 11:21:27 PM »

Family Tree DNA has added six new SNP Packs for a total of 68 now available for order.  As is the standard practice, these newest SNP Packs can be purchased for a limited time for $99.00 before they probably increase in price to the typical $119.00 for most SNP Packs.  The six new ones are:

E-L19
I1-Z2535
J2-L363
R1b-DF63
R1b-FGC5494
R1b-Z192

Members of our yDNA hg E Lineage I might be able to use the E-L19 SNP Pack, but they would first have to either discover that this was their sub-branch through emulation (examining the STR pattern of other kits in their gateway haplogroup project) or single SNP testing to E-L19.  I1-Z2535 is an advanced SNP Pack that was designed to be used by Kits that had first purchased the I1-Z58 SNP Pack and knew that the I1-Z2535 sub-branch was the one to test.  J2-L363 is also an advanced SNP Pack and our J2 Members would be better served ordering the J2-M172 SNP Pack first to see if this newest J2 SNP Pack is even applicable to them.  The three newest R1b SNP Packs are all intended to be appropriate follow-ups for the R1b-M343 Backbone SNP Pack.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2016, 10:56:30 PM »

Family Tree DNA has released a 69th SNP Pack at the introductory price of $99.00.  It's in yDNA Haplogroup E:

E-L674

It does not appear to be of any use to any of our present Members.  It is too far beyond the present estimated SNP for our Lineage I Members and the other Members of yDNA Haplogroup E are on a different sub-branch.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2016, 08:41:45 PM »

Family Tree DNA has released two more SNP Packs, bringing the total now to 71.  Both of these newest SNP Packs are in yDNA Haplogroup R1b and have the customary introductory price of $99.00 before increasing to the standard cost of $119.00.  They are:

R1b-DF21
R1b-Z251

The former SNP Pack would potentially be applicable to my Lineage IV, but we have tested beyond it now.  I do not see anyone in our Project who could positively utilize the latter SNP Pack.  The R-Z251 SNP is one of those tested for in the R1b-M343 Backbone SNP Pack, so it is designed to work in conjunction with that in order to further extend a kit's SNP sequence.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2016, 05:02:48 PM »

Family Tree DNA has released three more SNP Packs and updated a fourth one.  This brings the total number of SNP Packs now available to 74 and the new ones are currently priced at the introductory rate of $99.00 for now.  The new ones are:

R1b-S1051
R1b-S3058
R1b-S5488

The updated one is now called:  R1b-L21v2

The first one of the new SNP Packs, is for one of the sub-branches (or sub-sub-branches in some Haplotrees) of R-DF13, which has an incredible number of sub-branches.  I do not know of anyone in our Project who could use this, but there might well be someone.  The other two new ones are extensions of the recently released R1b-DF21 SNP Pack.  Again, as far as I know, no one in the Project could use the first of those, R1b-S3058.  The other one, R1b-S5488, is my own Lineage's parental branch for our Z16294.  We cannot use it, but there may be other Kits in our Project who could belong to sister sub-branches to our Z16294.  It is highly unlikely, other than the Cousins in my own Lineage IV, that any of you belong to Z16294 because we have a Signature Marker that must be one of the best in the world with an allele value of 11 for DYS492.  The late Leo William Little discovered that this value is shared by only about 1% of all R1b men.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2016, 12:10:41 AM »

Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) has released its 75th SNP Pack and the very first one for men in yDNA Haplogroup T.  This new T-M184 SNP Pack seems almost perfect for our two Members in that Haplogroup.  FTDNA has estimated they carry the I-M70 SNP, but that is simply two SNPs higher along the trunk of this tree, so this SNP Pack will start just a little earlier in the evolution of their SNP sequence.

yDNA Haplogroup T is an interesting branch, have arisen sometime between 40,000 and perhaps 46,000 years ago.  Members are now widespread and the Wikipedia article on this Haplogroup has a beautiful and very colorful tree diagram of all its many branches.

Unless either of our Members plans to take Big Y or Full Genomes Corporation's Y Elite 2.1 sometime in the future, I would recommend this new SNP Pack for their consideration if they are interested in beginning SNP testing.  It will be on sale for $99.00 for a limited time.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2016, 12:43:12 AM »

Family Tree DNA has released two more SNP Packs for a total of 77 now.  Both are priced at the standard introductory rate of $99.00 for the moment.  However, they are both for men in the yDNA J1 branch and all of our yDNA Haplogroup J Members are in the J2 branch and therefore cannot use these.  The two new SNP Packs are:

J1-BY8
J1-Z640
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2016, 04:01:06 AM »

Family Tree DNA has released a 78th SNP Pack.  This one is for Kits in yDNA Haplogroup G and is called G-L497.  It is priced at the standard introductory rate of $99.00.

There is only one Member of our Project whose Kit is in yDNA Haplogroup G and it has a confirmed ending SNP at this point of G-M201, which is the original SNP for that Haplogroup.  Therefore, this advanced SNP Pack would not be appropriate.  Instead, the G SNP Pack would be the one to order to conduct SNP testing if Big Y is not chosen.
Arthur C. Barker

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2016, 04:45:55 AM »

A 79th SNP Pack has just been released by Family Tree DNA.  This is another advanced SNP Pack, called I1-Z140.  As with prior new packs, it sells for an introductory rate of $99.00.

However, all of our Kit holders who are in the I1 branch have not tested or confirmed beyond the early I-M253 SNP, which YFull estimates arose about 27,500 years ago, with the exception of one Big Y tester who does not need any SNP Packs.  Therefore, this SNP Pack has no present utility for any of our Members.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 19 queries.