World Families Forums - DNA helps African-Americans trace ancestry

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 10:12:05 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Special Forums - Note: You must be Logged In to Post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Questions and News Articles of the Week
| | |-+  DNA helps African-Americans trace ancestry
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DNA helps African-Americans trace ancestry  (Read 1357 times)
Biscuits
Administrator
Guru

« on: March 04, 2005, 01:13:31 PM »

Feb. 24, 2005, 6:29AM

DNA helps African-Americans trace ancestry
By BARBARA KARKABI
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

It took six weeks for James Jacobs to find out about his long, lost ancestors ? a life-changing event capping years of research.

He had traced his paternal family back to his great-great-grandfather Francois Jacob, born into slavery in 1820. Like other African-Americans documenting family history, Jacobs then hit a wall.

Then he read about a company that could take his DNA from a cheek swab and trace his lineage to an ethnic group within an African country.

When Jacobs received his answer from African Ancestry in December 2003, he handled it like precious cargo. His DNA sequence on his father's side matched the Yoruba people of Nigeria. His mother's side matched the Bamileke people of Cameroon.

"It made me feel wonderful. It was a feeling of: 'My God, that's how it all happened,' " Jacobs recalls. "The woman came from Cameroon and Nigeria is right next to it, so they all came to a common place to go to the ship. The feeling is hard to describe, like having a long-lost parent and you found them. I was able to make this huge leap, and now all I have to do is go back and visit."

Click here for the rest of the article.

WFN_Editor
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 08:26:08 PM by terry » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 18 queries.