World Families Forums - R1b - British subgroup

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 29, 2014, 12:30:47 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  R1b - British subgroup
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: R1b - British subgroup  (Read 8165 times)
MichaelSC

« on: February 12, 2005, 08:29:07 PM »

R1b forum?
Anybody know of a forum for discussing issues relating to R1b1c or whatever designation they have or may later come up with for those who appear to have ancient British (or Iberian) ancestry?   If not, could we do that here?

SNP testing?
What is the current state of testing availibility for SNPs for R1b sub-groups?  If it's available/practical now, what critieria determine who could benefit by having it done?  For example, would someone who differs from R1b modal STR values by 3 or more single step differences and 1 or more 2-step differences be a likely candidate for SNP testing?  Or would it more likely depend on having certain values for certain STR markers?

Next Step?
If SNP testing is not yet practical, are there any other steps one can take to refine their ancient ancestral grouping beyond the broad R1b designation.   (i.e., something fun to do while waiting for more testees to join a surname project)
Biscuits
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 02:15:27 AM »

This is a good place for discussing Y haplogroups.? We just need to get traffic over that critical mass needed for responses to come quicker.? You might want to consider turning email notifications on so that you know when people respond to your postings.

-Biscuits
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 02:18:19 AM by terry » Logged
gareth.henson

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 11:55:38 AM »

I think we are in a chicken-and-egg situation re testing subgroups of R1b1c. The known subgroup SNPs of R1b1c are relatively rare in R1b1c as a whole so testing any particular one on a R1b1c chosen at random is likely to be negative. There are probably many more similarly rare SNPs equally plus possibly thousands of very rare ones. Now it's likely that the most common ones have distinctive non-modal values at a few markers. If we knew what these were we could test those who matched these values for the corresponding SNP, and have a better chance of a positive result. But we don't because nobody (with 25+ STR results) has been tested! So we need enough guinea pigs willing to be tested on every known R1b SNP so that we can get started. Some of the testing companies are gearing up to offer wider SNP testing so perhaps we will get moving later this year....

Gareth (probably R1b - modal 21/25)
Shane
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 12:44:16 PM »

I've been tested for P25. So I'm confirmed as R1b. I don't think FTDNA offers any other SNP test for R1b other than P25. What I'd like to know is what are the haplotypes that indicate subgroups beyond R1b. For instance, how do you know you are R1b1c?

Shane
MichaelSC

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 06:55:08 PM »

I believe the Western Atlantic Modal Haplotype would most likely be R1b1c, as that is the most common subgroup of R1b, although I'm not sure the "c" subgroup-specific modals, if known, would match all the R1b modals.  I can't narrow it down to just a few select marker values either.  For SNPs, M269 is diagnostic of R1b1c (P25 just indicates R1b1 by YCC2005 chart).
Johnson
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 08:20:46 PM »

Please direct me to an expert who can examine my 36 markers and tell me what they mean in layman's terms? All I know is that I have very distinct markers (13 at 385a) and that I'm R1b. I have been informed that I may belong to a Norse R1b line of descent. Who can I contact for help?
johnsonh@nbnet.nb.ca
Shane
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 12:51:55 PM »

Sign onto this message board and try posting your question there:

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/DNA/GENEALOGY-DNA.html
alexwall77

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 07:31:49 AM »

My paternal line is german, but I find that my R1b puts me in groups that tend to be english, irish and scottist, but I know without a doubt that my male line is German.  This leads me to believe that there is very very little genetic difference between Germans and British.  The other possibility is that my earliest known male ancestor's family wasn't in Germany for very long.  I have ordered a deep clade test to see what my subgroup is, so I'll continue to monitor this thread.
Stevo

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 05:08:48 PM »

My paternal line is german, but I find that my R1b puts me in groups that tend to be english, irish and scottist, but I know without a doubt that my male line is German.? This leads me to believe that there is very very little genetic difference between Germans and British.? The other possibility is that my earliest known male ancestor's family wasn't in Germany for very long.? I have ordered a deep clade test to see what my subgroup is, so I'll continue to monitor this thread.

There are just a whole lot of R1bs in western Europe, Germany included. Britain definitely does not have a corner on R1b.

Have you seen the nifty maps here: http://www.scs.uiuc.edu/~mcdonald/WorldHaplogroupsMaps.pdf? ?
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 09:15:47 PM »

There is a lot of Y-Haplogroup info linked at:

http://worldfamilies.net/y-haplogroups.htm

Terry
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 18 queries.