World Families Forums - DNA

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 10:16:34 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'S'
| | |-+  Sparks (Moderator: sparksAdmin)
| | | |-+  DNA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DNA  (Read 2519 times)
ksparks

DNA
« on: February 03, 2005, 04:59:10 PM »

I'm looking for other Sparks to join with me in submitting DNA to help break the deadlock we are presently experiencing.  I will if you will.
Mr_Ada

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 11:14:37 PM »

So what deadlock are you talking about?  I am interested in helping out, however, I don't know how helpful it would be as I don't really understand all of this DNA testing and what it will show.  I do see that it is expensive depending on how many markers you test for.  What do these markers mean?

Please help me understand all of this.

Chris Sparks
ksparks

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 10:25:22 AM »

If you will go to this link it will explain things better than I can.  I will admit it probably isn't for everyone, but in my case the paper trail ends with my gggrandfather. I've been at this level in my genealogy for 10 yrs.  I can only speculate who the earlier forefathers might have been, but I will never prove it without something like DNA. It is for the people that do want to know.  Check out the link. I believe it will answer most of your questions.

http://www.familytreedna.com/faq.html#q1.3
Mr_Ada

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 11:18:17 AM »

Hi Ken,

So sorry to hear about your dead-lock.  I guess I am fairly lucky in that I can go back to 1500's  I contend that most Sparks in the US are probably related at some point.  Can I see your data?  I have been really lucky in doing some "intuitive" genealogy and being able to link forward from a descendant.

Chris
ksparks

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 07:07:49 PM »

I have included a link that explains my problem. It is a lot of reading, but I kinda ask all the questions at the end concerning my family.  You're welcome to read it, and if you have any questions you can email me about it. See the link.

http://www.geocities.com/millhillboy99/timmons/Sparks.html
Mr_Ada

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 04:45:32 PM »

So sorry it took to long to reply.  I never got a notification that a response to my response was posted.

I read some of your history there and frankly I got lost in it all.  I'd like to help, however, information is best for me in a GEDCOM format so that I can trace up and down and looking at the patterns.  The detailed history is wonderful, however, I can't hold all that in my head! :-)

I would consider some DNA testing, however, I am a little iffy on the cost.  I guess if we can get enough people to do the testing maybe we can get a group price.

Chris
Biscuits
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 03:19:18 AM »

I'm a little iffy on the details, but there are sponsorships and other programs out there to help defray the cost.? Usually, they entail someone else in the family putting up a portion of the money because they want to encourage more testing.? At one time, some of the testing companies were matching the sponsorship, but, again, I'm iffy on the details.? Email terry (terry AT bartonsite.org) for more info on what programs are out there.

Also, there are different levels of testing.? The 12-marker test gives a limited amount of data, whereas the 37-marker test gives a lot more data, but at a higher price.? Still, even with a 12-marker test, you should receive a goodly amount of info, and your DNA stays on file in case you later want to upgrade to 25 or 37 markers.? The more markers you test for, the clearer it is how closely related you are to someone.

-Biscuits
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 03:32:05 AM by Biscuits » Logged
Josh Jenkins
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 04:58:12 PM »

I am a descendant of Zachariah Sparks from SC as well.  I was hoping there would
be more results by now :<

Anyway, was curious if people were still trying to get money together.  If your papertrail is
solid to Zachariah Sparks in SC, we should all start pitching in for the 37 marker test.  I did
this for my Jenkins surname and got many exact 37 marker matches - I had been at a brick
wall previously.  It can really help!

My Page:
http://s90818291.onlinehome.us/html/fitzpatricksparkspalmer.html

Later,

Josh

Mr_Ada

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 11:03:12 AM »

I couldn't find a Zachariah in any of my documents.  I'd be willing to do the DNA testing, however, I'd like to see a great committment from the Sparks community.  The results by themselves don't tell me anything by themselves.

Chris
Mr_Ada

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 10:56:47 PM »

I have update some DNA information, I think.

Hope it helps.

Chris
ken sparks
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 11:59:04 PM »

Chris, Josh, if you two are willing to do the test, so am I.  If you have done it before for another family name maybe you could tell us what to do.  My paper trail isn't conclusive to Zachariah from South Carolina.  I'm looking for someone that has that documentation to test with because I believe that is my line.  However, I will test with anyone because it could be that as time goes by we'll attract more people with proven documentation and who knows how it will turn out.
Ken
Ken Sparks
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 10:12:05 PM »

I sent my DNA kit in this morning and hopefully will see some results in the next few weeks. It took me awhile to make up my mind to do it, but finally decided it was the right thing to do if I wanted to break down my brick wall. I see we have about 8 - 10 in the program now and I hope we will get many more in the near future.  We need to promote this thing folks. Talk to anybody you know who could be a candidate and maybe we can all learn something about the ancestors.
Mr_Ada

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 08:35:52 PM »

I am also doing my mom's side in the DNA department.  I am curious about that too.

Chris
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 18 queries.