World Families Forums - Crawford family myths

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 03:28:19 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'C'
| | |-+  CRAWFORD (Moderator: Kevan Crawford)
| | | |-+  Crawford family myths
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crawford family myths  (Read 54 times)
AIGCrawford

« on: November 12, 2014, 09:08:06 AM »

There are a couple of 'colourful' traditions that have been passed down my family.  As they relate to the earlier generations to which I cannot connect at present (Scotland, 1600/1700s) perhaps someone else on here has heard something similar in their family, which might indicate a connection.

1.  A paternal ancestor was a 'laird of extensive possessions' in Lanark, who was bitten on the nose by his lady's lapdog, and was smothered between two feather beds by his retainers when he contracted hydrophobia (for which there was no cure).  (I've discovered vague references to instances of this online, though it does seem unbelievable).  This broke the family, which dispersed, my ancestors moving to Norfolk via Northumberland.

2.  A tradition only told to me recently by a distant cousin in France - that a Crawford lady, greeting guests outside a castle at some grand event, noticed her husband's mistress, and in flew into a rage, disfiguring the mistress' face with a hunting dog's whip.

There may be absolutely nothing to these traditions, but certainly the first one is well known by every branch of my family I have been able to contact.  The earliest written mention of this is a letter written by the great grandaughter of the laird who is supposed to have been smothered.  She was born in 1769, so this is within the realms of contemporary memory.

If any of this rings any bells, please be in touch!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 19 queries.