World Families Forums - Ryan's of Virginia, Kentucky and Alabama

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2015, 01:16:07 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'R'
| | |-+  Ryan (Moderator: ryanAdmin)
| | | |-+  Ryan's of Virginia, Kentucky and Alabama
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ryan's of Virginia, Kentucky and Alabama  (Read 579 times)
maryr55379

« on: November 07, 2013, 03:49:59 PM »

I will be submitting test for the Family Finder for my lines. I will post the results in this forum when I receive them.
I am searching for confirmation of links between my Ryan and Toney lines, of Goochland/Henrico Counties, Virginia.
Ken Ryan

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 12:42:06 PM »

There are a lot of people that have put their DNA information on the site but have not posted their Lineage.  It would be great if they could show us how they match.

On the Ryan site there is a section for I2a2a Haplogroup and these all seem to have links to someone from the Goochland/Henrico area.  Just for your information these Ryan families also have links to Amelia County.  If you look at the different county changes you will find that many of the people who had records in Goochland, especially at St. James Parish, were actually living in Amelia, Henrico or one of the outlying counties yet belonged to this parish.

In the Ryan research it is a good idea to look at migration paths starting in the 1600's as individuals moved along the James River, north west, and finally ended up in Amelia and close by counties. 

1800 on...

From that point on it seems like there was a gigantic split in the families.  Some going west to Kentucky, Missouri and north.  Others going south to South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama and Arkansas.

The biggest problem we all seem to face is how to document all this moving around with concrete evidence.  Sherman made a mess of things when he came through the south with his scorched earth policy, burning everything in his path.  Most records were destroyed by him and by later fires.

Anyone researching this family and wanting to know what research has been done so far, please contact me via this board and we can compare notes.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 19 queries.