World Families Forums - First Post

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 10:24:21 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'V'
| | |-+  Valdez (Moderator: valdezAdmin)
| | | |-+  First Post
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Post  (Read 1163 times)
decemberspride16

« on: May 29, 2008, 12:56:28 AM »

ValdezAdmin,

I was searching for my family coat of arms and I came across this website. Before I reveal anything, I need you to promise that you are Valdez. You might think me as a fool, but I can't do much except trust your word. And yes, I am a Valdez. Also, understand I will refuse to reveal any info about age, address, etc. I do this to know more about Valdez history.

I mean this sincerely.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:59:38 AM by decemberspride16 » Logged
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 10:50:22 AM »

Hi Decemberspride.  No, I am not a Valdez and I have no known Valdez heritage.  I am a legitimate steward of the Valdez Family surname DNA project, acting as the interim administrator until a family member comes along and assumes leadership.  Feel free to check me (and WorldFamilies) out with the International Society of Genetic Genealogy, with FamilyTree DNA, or any of the other industry leaders. 

I had a childhood classmate who was a Valdez and a wonderful person.  I respect your surname - and all of the others that I work with.

My leadership in the Barton Surname project began in 2001.  All of the processes used in Valdez were originally developed in the pioneering Barton project, with improvements over time - both our own and those borrowed from other skilled and caring leaders.

Please follow our guidelines and don't post information about the living members of your family.

best regards,  Terry
decemberspride16

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 12:23:55 AM »

Thanks for the reply, terry. You have earned my trust. To tell you the truth, I know nothing about my far relatives. I have tried many searches in different websites, but they all seemed to fail. They do not recognize Valdez in their system. I plan to make a genealogy as a family project. Do you have any advice on how to start this, particularly websites that may help?
Marilyn Teaff Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 01:06:37 PM »

Here are some tips that may be helpful: 

Start by asking family members for information on your family. Someone may have already compiled a portion or even a significant amount of your family. There may be a family bible with births, marriages & deaths. Older family members may recall information that you can compile.

Prepare a chart showing your parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc., reaching back as far as you can find information. Begin collecting the following information as a minimum: full name, date and place of birth, marriage and death. Add to your collection of information as you learn more. Here is an easy-to-use, free genealogy software that provides a way for you to collect and compile your information.

Find other researchers who share your ancestry.  The first place to start your search is within your own extended family, including great-aunts/uncles and second, third or fourth cousins.  They may be already researching your family or know a distant relative who has more information.  Eventually, you’ll want to seek out any Family Historical Societies.

Start looking on the Internet. There are several Internet sites that sponsor Surname Forums and Discussion Boards.  Two good ones are at RootsWeb and GenForum.  Once you find your Surname site, use the search tool to look for your earliest ancestors.  And, post a message identifying your early ancestor's), including date and place of birth, spouse, where they lived and any other distinctive information.  Make the Subject line as specific as you can.  You also should check to see if there are alternate spellings of your surname that also have a site.

Discuss your findings.  Many people compile their family information and share copies within their close family, or even publish their information.  With the advent of the Internet, more and more researchers are compiling and presenting their family information on their websites.  Sometimes, there are extensive discussions about early ancestors of general interest on the Surname sites.  Family History and Genealogical Societies are great places to share and discuss information.  Often, these can be found with a search through Google.  We hope you will also post your pedigree and any questions, answers or information you have on the World Families Network Forum. 

decemberspride16

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:02:41 PM »

Thank you Marilyn. Those tips are very significant.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 19 queries.