World Families Forums - Britton Family Pedigrees

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 01:40:41 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'B'
| | |-+  Britton (Moderator: Lindsey Britton)
| | | |-+  Britton Family Pedigrees
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Britton Family Pedigrees  (Read 12661 times)
Lindsey Britton

« on: January 04, 2005, 05:49:23 AM »

We invite you to submit your "Pedigree" for the Britton Family Project Patriarch page. (You don’t have to be a test participant to post your family pedigree.)  

There are two ways to make your pedigree available to the project administrator for posting on the Patriarch Page:
1.  Send the pedigree by email directly to carrie@worldfamilies.net in the simplified form described below  (If you send it this way, your pedigree will only be posted on the Patriarch Page, and will not be included in the Pedigree Forum)
Be sure to include

E
mail address you wish to be posted with the pedigree
                 Kit number of the project participant whose pedigree this is
                 N
ame, birthdate, birthplace, spouse for each generation (direct  male line).

2.  Log-in to post your pedigree on the Pedigree Forum.  By posting your pedigree on the forum, you are making it available for the Project Administrator to post it on the Patriarch Page, along with your contact information, and kit number (or code identity number).

1. You must be logged in to post on this forum.
    How do I register to post a pedigree?
    I've already registered. How do I log in?

2.  Please include your Kit number or Code Identity number if you have been tested for the project.

3. Please read the following instructions, then scroll down to the last posting on this forum and click "reply" in order to post your pedigree.

4. The pedigree for a Surname Project follows your paternal line.  Please post only the information for each generation:

Full Name of Earliest Known Male Ancestor for this Surname
His birthdate
Birthplace
Spouse’s name

(If you are missing any piece of this information, post another bit of identifying information) 

Suggestions for Posting your Pedigree on this forum:

o        Post four pieces of information for each ancestor

o        Begin with the earliest generation

o        Use standard abbreviations:  m=married, b=born, d=died, c=circa, Co=county, VA=Virginia, GA=Georgia, etc

o        Try to keep to one line per generation

o        Include only generations that have this family surname

o        Provide your name and email address as the pedigree provider

o        Provide the kit number and/or project code identity number if pedigree is for a tested participant

o        Use surname with each generation

o        Don’t use all caps

o        Don’t include anyone whose birthdate is after 1910, for privacy concerns.

o        Don’t number the generations 

Scroll down to the last posting on this forum and click "reply". Post your pedigree in the box provided, and click "Post".    

If you do not see a"reply" tab, it means you have lost your log in and will need to log in again in order to post. Go back to the project home page, log in again, and return to the pedigree forum. Login should hold the second time. 

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 02:46:49 PM by terry » Logged
LPlantagenet

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 05:09:19 PM »

How exciting to find a Britton DNA project--I have been looking for one for some time.  I only wish it could have started in time for my father (who died in December of last year) to contribute.  We are descended from the Britton family of Henrico, Co., Va. and can prove descent from William Britton who died in Chesterfield Co, Va. in 1793.  Before that, there are questions, since available evidence indicates that this William was probably the nephew rather than the son of William Sen. who died in Chesterfield in 1770 (will written in 1764).  His eldest son William (by first wife Mary Owen) is presumed to have settled in Halifax Co., Va.  A number of Henrico families were moving to Halifax by the middle of the 18th century. 

The elder William was a son of John Britton bc 1671/2 and living in Henrico in 1690.  William  had a brother John Britton who may have been older .  Both were heirs of Hugh Jones who died in Henrico in 1705 and lived in the area of Half Cinque, where Virginia Center Commons Shopping Center is now located--ie on Brook Road/US Route 1.  Many researchers think that the elder John Britton may have married a daugher of Jones, but that theory has never been proven.   The elder John Britton may also have been the father of James, Samuel, Henry, and possibly Royal Britton, all of whom appear in extant Henrico records.  The loss of so many Henrico records makes it difficult to trace these lines or determine the origins of  the first John Britton.

My descent from William d 1793 and wife Ann is as follows:
John Britton and Martha Eanes of Chesterfield
John Britton and Elizabeth Symonson, nee Dyson, d/of Daniel Dyson and Locky Rowlett (we have a Jamestowne Soceity line through Lockey Roweltt) of Chesterfield
Henry Clay Britton and Henrietta Alice Harrison Ruffin, nee Ruffin, d/o Alexander Harrison and Mary Boisseau, of Prince George Co., VA.
James Holmes Britton and Mattie Risque Gillock of Richmond, Virginia
Henry Douglas Britton and Elizabeth Cavan (my parents)

Lindsey Britton
Marilyn Teaff Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 04:47:37 PM »

Hi, Lindsey.  I posted your pedigree on the Patriarch page.  Hope you have a brother who can join the Britton
DNA project.  Good luck in your research.
Marilyn
http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/b/britton/pats.html
LPlantagenet

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 03:59:22 PM »

John Britton bc 1671; lived in Henrico VA and had at least two sons, William and John.
William married 1st Mary Owen, 2nd ELizabeth______________;? d 1770, Chesterfield, Co, VA. He was probably the uncle,? rather than the father of:

William Britton d 1793 Chesterfield County VA m Ann__________
John Britton b 1761, Chesterfield Co VA.? m Martha Eanes
John Britton bc 1800, Chesterfield Co., VA m Elizabeth (Dyson) Symonson
Henry Clay Britton (1839-1900) m 2nd Henrietta (Harrison) Ruffin, 1872, Prince George Co. VA; both buried at Brandon Church, PG Co.
James Holmes Britton, b 1880 PG Co. d 1937, Richmond, VA m Mattie Risque Gillock, 1902
LPlantagenet

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 04:12:22 PM »

I'm sorry--I hadn't seen your reply when I posted the second pedigree.  I'm having a bit of trouble finding my way around on these boards.  I don't have any brothers and my father died in December.  He would have enjoyed participating in your study; in fact, we were looking for one at the time.

I hope representatives of my line, the Halifax line, and descendants of James Britton of Henrico will all participate eventually.  Their DNA should match; if it doesn't, then the story of this family is much more complicated than anyone dreamed.

Lindsey

Marilyn Teaff Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 11:07:01 PM »

Hi, Lindsey.  So sorry to hear of your dad's recent passing.  I hope you can participate in the DNA test by finding a male relative to test.  It could be a cousin or uncle, or any male relative who is a direct descendent of your grandfather, great-grandfather, great-great grandfather or even further back on the family tree.  Good luck with your research.
Marilyn
mfg

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 08:57:46 PM »

Wilson Britton b1765 Winchester Va.md.Jane Wade
Marilyn Teaff Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 11:53:03 AM »

Hi, mfg.  It's posted.  Good luck with your research.
Marilyn
David Patton (nee Reed)
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 02:37:21 AM »

Terry: Here are my 37 markers from FTDNA.  Computers and I have a love/hate relationship so please forgive me if I screw up...David

#D1

393 13
390 24
19 14
391 11
385a 11
385b 14
426 12
388 12
439 12
389-1 12
392 13
389-2 28
458 17
459a 9
459b 9
455 11
454 11
447 25
437 15
448 19
449 29
464a 15
464b 16
464c 16
464d 17
460 11
GATA H4 11
YCA IIa 19
YCA IIb 19
456 16
607 15
576 17
570 18
CDYa 37
CDYb 37
442 13
438 12

19 14
388 12
390 24
391 11
392 13
393 13
389i 09
389ii-i 16
425 12
426 12

mtDNA results= Xenia

David Patton (nee Reed)
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 03:21:26 AM »

William Britton b c1794 Bitton m c1814 Elizabeth
   Henry Britton b 2 Apr 1837 Bitton m 28 May 1860 Sarah Ann Sheppard, Bitton
      William Britton b 23 May 1884 Lower Soundwell m 14 Aug 1905 Polly Monks, Bath Somerset
         Kenneth William Britton b 12 Oct 1905 Keynsham Kingswood, unm
            John Terence Reed* b 11 Aug 1933 Birkenhead, Merseyside

* John Terence Reed was adopted under the name David Wilson Patton.  Mother's name was Annie Grace (Nancy) Reed d1946
David Patton (nee Reed)
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 03:23:49 AM »

William Britton b c1794 Bitton m c1814 Elizabeth
   Henry Britton b 2 Apr 1837 Bitton m 28 May 1860 Sarah Ann Sheppard, Bitton
      William Britton b 23 May 1884 Lower Soundwell m 14 Aug 1905 Polly Monks, Bath Somerset
         Kenneth William Britton b 12 Oct 1905 Keynsham Kingswood, unm
            John Terence Reed* b 11 Aug 1933 Birkenhead, Merseyside

* John Terence Reed was adopted under the name David Wilson Patton.  Mother's name was Annie Grace (Nancy) Reed d1946
Marilyn Teaff Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 01:16:39 PM »

Hi, David.  Your pedigree is posted.  Hope you are part of the DNA project.
Marilyn
Connie Milliff
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 03:33:12 PM »

James Brittain b. 1709 Wales, m. Miss Wetty (?Witty)
         Joseph Brittain b. abt 1723 Harris(?), m. Jemima d.1774 Rowan Co., NC
                   William Brittain b. abt 1753, Rutherford, N.C.
                             William Brittain, Jr. b. 1790, N.C., m. Mary Ann Stanfield, abt 1823, TN, d. 6-10-1870 Bradley Co., TN
                                       James Marion Brittain b. 9-3-1831, McMinn Co., TN, m. Susan R. Kendrick, d. 4-2-1911, Cherokee Co., TX

I have more generations, up to current day, if you desire.  My great uncle, James Marion Brittain's grandson, is still alive, and lives in Houston.  I will contact him and his sons to see if they are interested in the DNA study.

Thanks.
LPlantagenet

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 09:52:37 PM »

I noticed that the pedigrees are now posted on the DNA project page.  Does it matter that a couple of generations have been omitted from mine ?(first pedigree listed)   Although I assume that William Britton who died in Chesterfied County, VA. in 1793 was the grandson of John Britton of Henrico Co. bc 1672, I don't have documents to prove this.  I do know that the first John Britton had at least two sons--William and John named in the 1705 will of Hugh Jones of Henrico Co.; William wrote his will in Chesterfield in 1764 and there is good evidence that his son William died in Halifax Co., Va.  If so, then my ancestor, William Britton Jr. of Chesterfield, was probably the nephew, not the son of William Sr. of Chesterfield, as an an old (published)  chart of the Britton family indicates.  His father may have been John's son, John.   James Britton of Henrico Co. (whose line is well-documented ) may have been a younger son of the first John Britton.   A complete DNA study of this family should include representatives from all three branches: 1) descendants of William Britton of Halifax Co. Va.  2)  descendants of William Britton Jr. of Chesterield Co., VA. and  3)  descendants of James Britton of Henrico Co., VA.

Lindsey

Lindsey

Lindsey
Brian Britton
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 03:28:18 PM »

John Britton Sr. was born abt. 1735 and died in Bertie, NC in 1803.  I have his will on file. He had a son named Benjamin who was born abt. 1761. Benjamin had a son named Anthony who was born abt. 1800 . Anthony had a son named George W. Britton who was born in 1821 in Hertford, NC. George W. Britton had a son named Marcus who was born in 1857 in Hertford. Marcus had a son named Clyde Allen Britton who was born in 1889 in Hetford. Clyde Britton had a son named George Russell Britton Sr. who was born in 1920. George Russell is my Grandfather and lives in Portsmouth, VA. As far as I know this is all correct. The following is questionable:
 John Britton Sr.'s father was named James Britton and was born around 1709, possibly in wales.
Marilyn Teaff Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2005, 03:05:24 PM »

Hi, Connie.  Your pedigree is posted.  You seem to share a common ancestor with David Powell (James Brittain m Mary Witty) so I have linked your pedigree to his.  You should contact him, if you are not already in touch, to learn more.  Good luck.
Marilyn
Marilyn Teaff Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2005, 03:09:55 PM »

Hi, Lindsey.  Thanks for your posting.  If you could give me more direction on which generations I left out on the Patriarch page, I'll be happy to post them.  If you are interested in becoming the administrator for the Britton surname project, we'd love to help you get started. Building a DNA database will help you learn more about the connections.  Let us know if you would like to lead this project.  Thanks.
Marilyn
Marilyn Teaff Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2005, 03:12:48 PM »

Hi, Brian.  Your pedigree is posted.  Your first ancestor, James, seems to share close similarities to the James m Mary Witty of David Powell's and Connie's ancestor, except for the spelling of your surname.  If you are not already in contact, you should try to learn more from them.  Hope you are all part of the DNA project.  Good luck.
Marilyn
LPlantagenet

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2005, 09:19:35 PM »

Brian---did you see the line from James Brittain and Mary Witty posted on the- Patriachs' page?

Lindsey
William Rose
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 07:08:26 AM »

Hi Lindsey,
Is this the same Henry Clay Britton that was Captain of Co. C. 9th VA? We are a Chesterfield County area reenactment group that portrays the same company.
Bill Rose

[My descent from William d 1793 and wife Ann is as follows:
John Britton and Martha Eanes of Chesterfield
John Britton and Elizabeth Symonson, nee Dyson, d/of Daniel Dyson and Locky Rowlett (we have a Jamestowne Soceity line through Lockey Roweltt) of Chesterfield
Henry Clay Britton and Henrietta Alice Harrison Ruffin, nee Ruffin, d/o Alexander Harrison and Mary Boisseau, of Prince George Co., VA.
James Holmes Britton and Mattie Risque Gillock of Richmond, Virginia
Henry Douglas Britton and Elizabeth Cavan (my parents)

Lindsey Britton
LPlantagenet

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 10:19:37 PM »

Hi, Marilyn--I'm sorry to be so late replying to your message--I've been having trouble with the message boards and somehow managed to miss it.  What is involved in leading the project?  I might be interested.  I am doing further research on the Britton line now, and I would love to identify my English ancestors.

Hi Lindsey,
Is this the same Henry Clay Britton that was Captain of Co. C. 9th VA? We are a Chesterfield County area reenactment group that portrays the same company.
Bill Rose

Hi, Bill--how interesting.  Yes, I sure it is, although I would have to look up his regiment.  He was captured  twice--once at Gettysburg and again several months before the war ended.   In between he received a battlefield promotion to Captain, as the result of an action near Howlett's farm.  Are you related to the Brittons? or the Rowletts, Dysons, Worshams,  or other Chesterfield families.  I descend from all three as well as several others that I have traced back to the 17th century.

Lindsey
Iamabritt

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2006, 12:17:18 AM »

I am trying to find my ancestors..... My last name is Britt.   I am of African-American decent and my relatives came from Gatesville and/or Gates County North Carolina.   I still have relatives there.  I know that they happen to be older with some who are younger.

I would like to know where the Britt came from.  If you have any idea or can help in any way, I would appreciate it.

Mrs. L. Britt-Murray
Marilyn Teaff Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2006, 07:56:17 PM »

Hi, Lindsey.  Sorry for the slow reply.  Glad to hear you might be interested in being a project administrator.  I'm forwarding your post to Terry, and he should be in touch.  Meanwhile, if you will read the info on the website, www.worldfamilies.net, it may answer some of your questions about administrators.
Thanks.
Marilyn
Julie Coley
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2006, 05:18:58 PM »

My earliest known Britton is:

Thomas Britton born abt. 1759 probably in VA - married Elizabeth Wilson 1 Apr. 1777 Chowan Co. NC

They had 4 children:

John Wilson b. 16 Sep 1789 in NC died 30 Sep 1857 in Giles Co. TN married 4 Oct. 1812 Susannah Woods Richey

Elizabeth Britton b. before 1780 and died after 1871 in Giles Co. TN married Thomas Richey 7 Dec. 1805 in Robertson Co. TN

Nancy Ann Britton b. abt. 1790 in NC died Sep. 1853 in Giles Co. TN married John Overton Elliff 11 Aug. 1804 in Sumner Co. TN

Sarah Britton b. abt. 1777 poss. in Chowan Co. NC died Bef. 2 Apr. 1838 in Giles Co. TN married John Kennedy before 1795 - their daughter Mary Armstrong Kennedy is my 3rd Great Grandmother
Maynard Hines
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2006, 08:55:40 PM »

Thiis is the family tree that my mom, Irene Britton Hines, developed prior to her passing.  She was the daughter of Maynard Britton, Sr.   Maynard Britton, Jr is living and I will ask if he wants to participate in the DNA project.  This will not happen overnight.  Thanks  Maynard Hines.

Nathaniel Britton, b c1740, m Elizabeth PARKS c1760, d 17 Oct 1776
George Britton, b 1770, m Mary BAILY Wythe, VA, d 1848 Harlan, KY
Carr Britton, b 1790, m Jane BALL, d 1873 Harlan, KY
Wm Britton, b 1810 Harlan, KY, m Mary Ann LEWIS 26 Apr 1830 Clay, KY
Carlo Britton, b 15 Feb 1849 Clay, KY, m Adeline MARCUM 3 Apr 1873 Clay, KY, d 15 Mar 1933 Clay, KY
Taylor Britton b 24 Jan 1880 Clay, KY, m Flora MARCUM 6 Dec 1900 Clay, KY, d 18 Nov 1930 Clay, KY
Maynard Britton Sr. b 17 Jul 1901 Clay, KY, m Ada HACKER Dec 1920 KY, d 20 Oct 1954 Roane Co, TN
Maynard Britton, Jr. b 13 Oct 1924, Clay Co, KY

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 20 queries.