World Families Forums - Childs Family Pedigrees

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2015, 09:06:56 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'C'
| | |-+  Childs (Moderator: Christopher Child)
| | | |-+  Childs Family Pedigrees
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Childs Family Pedigrees  (Read 15324 times)
imachilds

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2013, 07:44:36 PM »

Seems that I have a new line for this list.

The earliest known patriarch was Samuel Childs born 1787 in Shepperton, England.  He is believed to be illegitimate, so we don't go further back than that, unless we can find someone who descends from one of the men in the area named Childs.   Samuel married Elizabeth Wood.  They had 14 children and my great-grandfather was the last ...

William John Childs born 1836 in EarlsCourt, London England.  He died in NewZealand.  WJ married Abigail Holmes in Jamaica, and they had 5 children born there, including my grandfather.

Joseph Gershom Childs born 1870 in Jamaica, but raised in New Zealand.  He married Sophia Weston in Bristol England and they had three daughters born in London, before they ended up in Toronto Ontario.

My Mother Norah was the youngest of these girls, born 1906.
llchiles

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2015, 10:42:50 AM »

James R. Chiles (1816 VA - 1870 VA) m. 1st Martha A.P. Granger, 2nd (her sister)Emma Jane Granger

their son Robert E.L. Chiles (1868 VA - 1934 VA) m. Fanny D. Shackelford

their son Robert Lee Chiles (1892 VA - 1970 VA) m. 1st Willa Lee Marable, 2nd (her sister) Mary Elizabeth Marable Chalkley

their son Forrest Winfield Chiles (1916 VA - 2001 TN) m. Mary Elizabeth Oliver
mikechilds54

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2015, 11:06:54 AM »

My pedigree:

Walter Chiles b. 1608  d. 1653
Walter Chiles, Jr.  b. @ 1630    d.  1671
Henry Chiles  b. 1671   d.  1719
James Chiles b. 1702  d. 1784
Harry Chiles  b. 1752  d. 1799
Nimrod Chiles  b. @ 1773  d. 1807
Nimrod S. Chiles b. 1805 d. 1860
John R. Childs  b. 1832  d. 1871
Henry Childs  b. 1858  d. 1922
Calvin Arthur Childs  b. 1886 d. 1957
David Childs b. 1922 d. 1997
Michael F. Childs  b. 1954

About the link of Nimrod Chiles of Abbeville, SC, to his father Harry Childs / Chiles, and his grandfather Rev. James Chiles, who was the son of Henry Chiles.  The following is how this link was established and verified through a combination of paper records and DNA tests.

Nimrod Chiles was listed as a head of household for the first time in the 1800 Census of Abbeville County, SC.  He was listed as between ages 26-44; therefore, Nimrod was born sometime between 1756 and 1774.   He and Elizabeth had 3 children under 10 years of age.in 1800, and would have 2 more by 1805.  That probably indicates that he was closer to 26 than 44 years old.

Nimrod was living in Abbeville before 1788 because he was a witness on a property deed that year.  I first thought that meant that Nimrod had to be 21 years of age by 1788, but it does not.  Law allowed, and it was a common practice, for minors 14 years old and up to sign as a witness on a property deed.   In 1788, Nimrod only had to be 14 years or older.  So this does not change what we learned from the 1800 census about his date of birth.  However, it does establish that he was living in Abbeville County in the 1780’s.

He continued living in Abbeville County in the 1790’s because he appeared on legal documents in that decade.  He inventoried estates and was a witness and executor of wills in the 1790’s.  

Since he was not a head of household in 1790, though living in Abbeville County, he likely was still living in the home of his parents.  It is very likely that one of the Chiles / Childs listed as head of household in the 1790 census of Abbeville County was Nimrod’s father (or widowed mother).

There were 10 Chiles / Childs heads of household in the Abbeville County 1790 census:  John Childes, Harry Childs, James Chiles, John Chiles, Jonathan Chiles, William Chiles, Henry Chiles, Jeston Chiles, John Chiles, and Nathan Chiles.  It seems quite probable to me that one of those was father of Nimrod Chiles.  One can eliminate all but Harry Childs by reading their wills, the census records, and other legal documents.  Most of this can be done by reading the various wills in Abstracts of Old Ninety-Six and Abbeville District Will and Bonds, or checking their ages.  The three John Childs / Childs, Jonathan Chiles, and William Chiles all had wills listing their children in the abstracts book.  Henry Chiles had no son the right age in the 1790 census. Jeston and James were both too young to be Nimrod’s father.  By process of elimination, Harry Childs was the likely suspect to be the father of Nimrod.  

Harry was the only one of these possibilities whose children we do not know.  Nor do we know his wife’s name.  But we do know some things about him.  Not only was he the right age to be Nimrod’s father, but in the 1790 census Harry had a son over 18 years of age in his household.  (Children and wives were not named in the census, but put in age categories.)  Including Harry, there were two free white males over age 18 in his household in 1790.  Harry apparently died before 1800, as he was not in the 1800 census.

All this is circumstantial evidence, true enough.  But there is no evidence for anyone else, and I find it convincing.

These conclusions are verified by the DNA evidence.    I took the ancestry.com DNA test.  It is an autosomal DNA test which looks at DNA from both male and female ancestors.  I had dozens of DNA matches that linked me to people descended from Henry Chiles, who would be Harry Chiles’ grandfather.  Henry Chiles had eleven children, all of whom would have passed on his DNA.

But one of his children was the Rev. James M. Chiles, the father of Harry Chiles.  James Chiles and his wife Elizabeth Durrett were parents of three children:  Elizabeth, Harry, and James.  Ancestry.com DNA matched me with a high probability as the cousin of a lady whose family is descended from Rev. James M. Chiles’ daughter Elizabeth.  Her DNA matches many of Elizabeth’s descendants.  The fact that my DNA matches her DNA makes it likely that our Childs ancestors are in that same family line.  

I also had more than a dozen DNA matches with Durrett descendants.  There is no other Durrett DNA in our family tree, except through Elizabeth Durrett, the wife of Rev. James Chiles and the mother of Harry Chiles.  

In addition, my DNA matches with very high or high probablility descendants of the Goodloe family.  The mother of Elizabeth Durrett was a Goodloe, and there are no other known Goodloe or Durrett family members in my linage.

The DNA test results, along with the census records, give strong evidence that we and our ancestor Nimrod Chiles are descended from Rev. James Chiles through one of his sons.  And Harry is the only son that could be because the other son is too young.  
I also took the Familytree.com Y-DNA test at the 37 marker level.  It also confirms that I, and therefore Nimrod Chiles of Abbeville, SC, are descendants of Walter Chiles.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 11:09:32 AM by mikechilds54 » Logged

Mike
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 19 queries.