World Families Forums - Guillaume changed to Gilljam in Sweden circa 1620

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 04, 2016, 04:14:54 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'G'
| | |-+  Gilliam (Moderator: Denise Sproed)
| | | |-+  Guillaume changed to Gilljam in Sweden circa 1620
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guillaume changed to Gilljam in Sweden circa 1620  (Read 78 times)
Ric

« on: November 01, 2016, 11:18:19 AM »

My name's Richard Guillaume. I 'm French from North East France and Lorraine.
An autosomal match at FTDNA gave me a match with a Swedish man, Mr. Bengt Eklund.
It turns out that one of Mr. Eklund's ancestor was Mr. Tossaint Guillaume, born near Liege in Today's Belgium around 1586.
I have no paper record of Mr. Tossaint Guillaume because my paper trail stops in a small church in Lorraine circa 1736.
However my paternal family lore claims that our paternal ancestor came from the Netherlands and the south part of the Netherlands near Liege became part of Belgium in the 1600s. It is therefore very possible that Tossaint Guillaume was a relative of my paternal ancestor, perhaps even my own Paternal ancestor.
Anyways, the story continues like this. Mr Tossaint Guillaume moved to Sweden around 1620, with his wife and several of his children. He is recorded in Uppsala in Sweden in 1623 as a metal worker as many other 'Brabanters', even if Tossaint Guillaume was recorded as a Walloon.  Once in Sweden, Tossaint changed his name to Gilljam.
It is therefore likely that any man whose ancestry goes back to the Gilljams of Sweden circa 1620 goes further back in time to Guillaume (or equivalent like Gilhelm/Wilhelm ) in Belgium and Netherlands prior to 1600.
In addition, assuming that Tossaint Guillaume/Gilljam is paternally related to me, then he must be of the same Y Haplogroup as mine : R1b-M269-DF27-CTS4065-BY12176.

I encourage the R-M269 men from this name-group who think that their ancestry are the Netherlands or Sweden post-1620,  to get a SNP pack test. The R-M343 pack at FTDNA seems safe to do as it is not very deep. If you have good reason to think that we are related (for example our respective STR patterns match) then you can try the Z209 pack which includes the CTS4065 SNP and perhaps soon the BY12176 SNP.
Thanks,
Richard
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 19 queries.