World Families Forums - "Guerrero" meaning and name's story

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 10:50:46 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'G'
| | |-+  Guererro (Moderator: guererroAdmin)
| | | |-+  "Guerrero" meaning and name's story
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Guerrero" meaning and name's story  (Read 10621 times)
Ricardo

You can write in Spanish, French and Italian also.

« on: June 02, 2008, 03:06:48 PM »

Hello my friends and, probably, relatives;

Guerrero is evidently a Spanish name, a very old Spanish name which has a meaning and a story.

In the last XV century, the Queen Isabel of Spain, called "The Catholic", under the pressure of Catholic Church, ordered the expulsion of Jewish people, Sephardi, who had lived in Spain for centuries. The only way for staying in Spain for all these people was the conversion to catholic religion. Many of them decided to stay as converted Jews -most of them kept their religion for years in the privacy of their homes- and they had to change their original Jewish names in order to make public their conversion. The most usual new names were those belonging to the place of birth or those describing the family's trade.

This last one is the case of the name Guerrero. Many people speaking Spanish would say that Guerrero is someone who makes the war -guerra in Spanish-, a kind of soldier. But that's not true; that's only a very extended mistake due to a really immediate and simple interpretation. A "guerrero" is a tailor, a craftsman who made military jackets -called "guerrera" in Spanish- for the ancient royal army.

So, we have to look for our name's origins in the old Sephardi's who decided to stay in their lands -Southern Spain above all-.

On the other hand, I'm afraid that the name "Guererro", which is giving the name of our project, is a misspelling of the same name, because it doesn't have any meaning in Spanish, the original language.

Thank you for reading. If you don't agree, please, let me know.  Ricardo Guerrero.
PD. I apologize for my mistakes writing in English.
Sharrukin

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 03:58:14 AM »

I would disagree. 

"Guerrero" is a normative Spanish word meaning "warrior", hence it justifiably warrants a direct meaning.  Although I would agree that this can be rather vague (i.e. are we talking about an occupation or a characteristic?), I would submit the following for consideration. 

We do know that knights were named "Guerrero" prior to the 15th century.  A case and point is that of a certain Juan Guerrero de Soto who was a knight, and was given membership in the Castilian king's prestigious Order of the Band in 1332.  As you may know, knights were drawn from nobility, and in most if not all cases had to prove that they were of old Christian heritage.  If then, Guerreros were knights it would warrant a literal meaning of "warrior".   

Just to cover the whole issue, there may be multiple circumstances as to why families of diverse origins may have been given the surname "Guerrero", as genetic testing demonstrates.  Even within the same haplotype, two individuals may not be related.  An r1b person from one locale may have been given the appellation "el guerrero" under the same circumstances as another person of another lineage from another place.  Just because "Robert the smith" lived in a certain village does not mean that all "Smiths" originated from that village, since many villages had their own smith.  William the smith of another village is more than likely of a different lineage.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.