World Families Forums - Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 06:38:58 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Welcome
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome  (Read 27515 times)
Shamrocks

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2006, 02:45:56 PM »

I was just referred to this site today. It's great.

I have a few names to add if possible:

ALLGOOD

BOWMAN

NEWTON

BAHN

ENDERS

DECKER

HERSHEY

MINNICH

WINBURN

RHODES

ANDERSON

many many more but I've gone overboard as it is..........................thanks
Jane Bachmann

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2006, 10:26:52 AM »

I'm a new member and am interested in finding out more precisely my ancestry traveled through Europe before settling in America.  I participated in the National Geographic Genographic mtDNA Project and found that my group was "H" which I understand is common to half of Europe.  I would be very interested to go further.  Though about 2/3rds of my ancestors are German, I believe that my maternal line goes back through England.  My maiden name was Brumback (Brombach) and the first German immigrant ancestor of that name was originally a Kemper - the half sister of the Johannes Kemper who was with the first Germanna colony.  But I'm not sure what I can do.  Can I find out more?
pattilee

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2006, 07:45:55 AM »

How do I enter the Doughty, Letts, Hoover, Horner, Terry, Alston, Carter, Falkenbury, Cline, McTernan, Macken, Brooks, Brown surnames to start a group for each? Thanks
THERESA WEBB

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2006, 01:56:39 PM »

These boards are still new and I'm still working on doing what I can with them.? Feel free to discuss anything about genealogy or DNA here.? Ideas, suggestions, problems, or questions about the website are also welcome.? Eventually, these forums should be meshed more closely with the rest of the World Families site and reach a critical mass of active users that keep them interesting and informative.

Thanks,
-Biscuits
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2006, 06:12:58 PM »

Hi Theresa.  Biscuits has been in Iraq the past year - which has really affected our development work.  He comes home in May.  Terry

Hi Patti? ?we started this Forum for the surnames whose projects are hosted at WorldFamilies.net? We didn't anticipate the interest from folks whose surname project was located elsewhere.? As most of the names you list aren't associated with this Forum, you won't find them here.? We hope to change that later this year.

Why don't you start by locating the projects for your surnames.? Each probably has a different way of handling pedigrees.?

If you'll use the Search box at the top of the page, you will find two of your projects here:

Horner (in Hornsby)

http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/h/hornsby/

Terry

http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/t/terry/
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 06:46:49 PM by terry » Logged
sky

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2006, 01:59:22 AM »

COULD YOU PLEASE ADD THE SURNAME YADEN

THANKS       SKY
jmaczet

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2006, 10:21:24 AM »

This is the first time I've visited this website.  I'm gathering info to post on the McDermott family project. ( My maiden name is spelled MacDermott.)  Other family names (Alvas, Ranker, Wurm, Meissec) don't have projects yet.  I'm learning a lot just from reading previous posts, and hope that someday I might be able to provide information that someone will find helpful.

JMacZet
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2006, 01:12:43 PM »

Hi Sky.  I checked the names and found that Yeadon is the most common variation of your Yaden surname.  I will set up Yeadon, with Yaden and other variations.  I'll look forward to seeing you post your Yaden family pedigree and getting the DNA project kicked off.

Hi JMac.  I didn't find Ranker included in the most common 70,000 names in the 1990  US census, but did discover that there is no surname at FTDNA for Rankin, which is a common surname, so I will set up the project as Rankin and include Rank, Ranker, etc. 

The other surnames you mention are relatively unusual - and are not served by a surname project at FTDNA.  My approach is to

Setup projects when there is not already a surname project serving that name at FTDNA
-- which would likely have broad interest
-- for any surname (even if it is quite unusual) at the time that the requestor is ready to order a kit.

I welcome researchers (with the time and interest) to become co-administrator and learn the various aspects of managing a surname dna project.  This can be on a project already established, or on one newly requested.  You do not have to volunteer to be co-administrator for us to set up a surname project to serve your name.

Terry

okimmi

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2006, 12:54:21 AM »

The surname family boards are now live.? Related names are grouped together and listed by the most common variant.? They should all be in alphabetical order, so you should be able to merely scroll through the list to find the appropriate name.

OR

1. Go to the main page (click here)
2. Bring up the "Find Text" box by holding down the CTRL key on your keyboard and hitting the "f" key. (or click on "edit" and then "find" on the toolbar at the top of your browser)
3. Type in your variant name and hit enter
4. Voila, your surname, even if it is a less common variant, should display if listed.

If your name is not listed and you would like it listed, you can post a message to us here.? Currently, only projects that have a worldfamilies.net webpage have a corresponding forum.

Note: keep topics of general interest on this page and only post family-specific topics on the individual family pages.
[/quote" Hello, I dont see any O'Rourke families listed on this site! Coould you please add this surname? Thanks!

okim
Donald K Uhl
Project Coordinator

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2006, 09:48:12 PM »

Hallo,
I'm new to this DNA surname and was wondering how do you get other people with the same surname as you to participate in the surname project.

Thanks,
Donald
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2006, 12:58:08 AM »

Donald, it's best to start with the researchers you have met along the way.  You want to encourage them to think in terms of proving or disproving their kinship to you and other Uhl families. 

Ask each of them to encourage their research contacts to do the same.

You also want to order your own test, as a single test in the project makes it visible in the "alphabet search" which is what most folks use.

And, you can post messages at sites where Uhl researchers go.  (Don't mention price or testing company at Rootsweb)

Terry
Paul_Sheats

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2006, 08:29:12 AM »

(Don't mention price or testing company at Rootsweb)

Good point, Terry.  I wonder if a link to the project is acceptable, however.  I have heard that, depending on the admininistrator running your member board / mailing list, some are more open to DNA discussions.  Not sure about links, though.  I'm going to check with mine, since I've already had some prelimary discussions with her regarding DNA testing.  She seemed intested and wanted to start a thread on it.
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2006, 10:10:38 AM »

Paul, good point.  I should have suggested discussing your postings with the Board or List Owner. 

Also - be aware that Rootsweb considers it to be spamming when you post the same message on both Sheats (if there is one) and Sheets. 
KB Pole

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2006, 06:00:42 PM »

HI

Anyone have information regarding children of William Phelps died 1749, VA?
Believe our lineage is from William.

Pole

Doug Phelps
Project Coordinator

A Wake Deac, a sailor,and a Presbyterian. whoa!

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2006, 08:25:16 PM »

KB,  I may be of help if your line is primarily Phelps oriented.  We have two dna test of male Phelps descendants of William Phelps .  go to http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Phelps/index.aspx
k. Stetler
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2006, 11:16:53 PM »

Hi can you start boards for Stetler, Powell, Elliott, Waldron, Douglas. ?Thanks Keith
kudo38

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2006, 01:17:58 AM »

Hawk, Jacob    B. app 1772 in either Va or Tn. Married Mary Ann Polly Warren app 1799, D. sometime between April 15 - June 28, 1824 Somewhere between when he lived to now, the name changed to Hock     Contact David Hock by e-mail  kudo38@hotmail.com
Donna Starring
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2006, 03:24:16 PM »

Would you please add the surnames Starring and Henney.

Thanks...

Donna
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2006, 09:52:52 AM »

Hi Donna.  I added Henney to the Haney project for now.  After we see how the surnames match (and don't match) we can consider which names should become separate projects.

Project 6 Page Website:
http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/h/haney/
Pedigree Forum:
http://www.wfnforum.net/index.php?topic=1726.0

I have asked the Starr project to include Starring.  Let's see what he thinks.

Terry
Sandilou

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2006, 12:48:52 PM »

Hi there,  Can we add Forum's for the name Oliver and Reagan/Regan.  Thank you Sandi
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2006, 01:16:37 PM »

Hi SandiLou.  At present, we are not setting up Forums for projects we don't support with websites, but we do intend to do that in future.  You are now on the list.  TErry
P. E. KNIGHT
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2006, 11:55:11 PM »

Hello, I am trying to locate anyone with ANY info on the surname GROLL it is my maternal grand-mothers maiden name. I remember her saying her family was from Germany but I was to young to catch WHERE in Germany.The only info I have is this:RODERICK E. GROLL married Samantha E. Leaver their daughter Beulah M.Groll was my grand mother. Sure hope somebody can help? THANKS
padrake

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2006, 09:38:53 AM »

Hi!

Is there a place where you can list your DRAKE pedigree?

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

Pam Drake
padrake@sbcglobal.net
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2006, 12:44:49 PM »

Hi Pam.  We initially set up the Forum to support the projects that use WorldFamilies.net websites.  We do hope to make provision for surnames included in projects that don't use our sites, but haven't done that yet. 

You will want to work with the Drake project:

http://www.familytreedna.com/DNAList.asp?Group=Drake

best regards,  Terry
la mond

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2006, 01:54:43 PM »

hello terry and jeannie,
     i would like to add my email address to my WFN Forum,  re: brewster family pedigree,  reply 28, under tree house. i wish to be contacted pertaining to brewster and/or la mond lineage. would you also be able to add the state of new jersey beside the names wm.brewster down through and including charles f la mond?
    many thanks. i am not that capable on the computor yet.
    my email address is: sull@bellsouth.net      tel: 803 432 8400
          regards, brenda la mond sullivan
       p.s.
     my greatgrandfather, william frank brewster, changed ( not legally) his name to william frank la mond just before his marriage to louise voll. stories abound as to why.  however, my brother, stephen la mond, took the familytree DNA37 marker test which proved conclusively that he and i are brewsters ------what lineage we are is being research.
     can you put this p.s. in my reply 28, or some where you deem suitable??
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 18 queries.