World Families Forums - Which Surname Projects have the best Websites?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 03:31:21 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Which Surname Projects have the best Websites?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Surname Projects have the best Websites?  (Read 15183 times)
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« on: January 03, 2005, 10:54:08 AM »

So, whose Surname Project do YOU think has the best website (or one of the? very best)?

We are asking you, the folks who are directly involved, to tell us which Surname Projects have the best websites.? We'll listen to your comments and take a look at the nominees.? If it is clear cut, we may be brave enough to make our own selections.? If it's too tough, we'll ask for volunteers to do the tough job of selecting the best.

We plan to feature the best sites with a link on our pages at World Families Network.?

Be sure to say why you think a particular Project Site deserves selection.? It could be aesthetics, it could be content, it could be ease of use, it could be anything that really speaks to you.

Have fun and let's remember that we are all colleagues and treat each other and the expressed opinions with respect.

In the meantime, I've put three sites up in the featured category - though these aren't specifically Surname Project sites.? One is Megan Smolenyak's very professionally done "Honoring our Ancestors" site.? Another is Charles Kerchner's "Kerchner's DNA Testing & Genetic Genealogy Info and Resources Page" site, which is just loaded with helpful information. The third is John Blair's beautifully done "Blair Genealogy DNA 101" site.

WFN_Editor
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 04:32:14 PM by terry » Logged
Becky

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 12:50:13 PM »

My vote is for the WILLIAMS family website because of content as well as ease of navigation.  http://williams.genealogy.fm/index.html   
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 03:26:43 PM »

Becky, I would agree that the Williams DNA Project site is a particularly nice one.  I'll be pleased to include them in the list of nominations. 

Thanks for breaking the ice and being the first response.  Terry
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 03:46:50 PM »

Readers: PLEASE!  Post your nominees for best Surname Project Website. 

Adrian has an awfully nice site, but I wanted to recognise 2 or 3 different Surname sites, so we really need more nominees.  If you want to make an anonymous suggestion, email it directly to me.  I'll then put it on this Forum without mentioningyour name.  (You can self-nominate if you want)  Terry
b.fitzsenry

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 06:29:05 PM »

I may be partial, but The Eaton Families Association web site is informative, easy to navigate, constantly updated and responsive to site guests.  They present a history of the family going back to 1154 England and our anxious to connect all the ancient lines to the more current family lines.  Please see www.eatongenealogy.com
judyr

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 08:39:54 AM »

The Walker Surname Project is one of the largest and they have really worked to organize results for easirer reading.  You can look at the groups of test results and then click on lineages or just search thru the lineages.    The groups are color coded and that makes the page easier to read. 

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fabercove/
TerryFamHistorian

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 08:26:22 AM »

I am of course a little biased: Terry Family Historian  http://www.terry-family-historian.com

Robert "Mike" Terry Co-Coordinator of Terry Family DNA Project and former editor of the Terry Family Historian Quarterly, 1982-1987 posted on line....

Let's get Terry'fied!!!!
RivanG

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 03:45:26 PM »

Everyone that discovers Greathouse Point, www.greathouse.us, tells me that it is one of the best they have seen.

Thanks...
Helene

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 03:51:03 PM »

My husband is a participant of this family DNA project which has easy to understand information about member results:
[http://www.manleylines.com]
Mary Yonan

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2005, 08:51:08 PM »

I must admit being partial to the Allison/Ellison DNA Project Results webpage.? I am the group administrator but I give full credit to our excellent webmaster who has created a webpage that is well-organized, easy to navigate, and we have paternal pedigree charts going back to the earliest known ancestor for most of the participants. The URL is:

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~allisonellisondna/index.htm
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 05:10:00 PM »

Rather than to try and pick through some nice websites for a top three - I posted all those nominated. They are on the World Families Network home page

We welcome more recommendations for the next update - though I reserve the right to select only a few next time. 

thanks and keep posting.  Terry
Charlotte Coats
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 11:54:56 AM »

The Coats DNA site isn't too bad....:)

http://www.coatsarchive.us/dna.htm

Charlotte Coats
co-admin
Coats DNA project
sjwinslow

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 05:01:05 PM »

Take a look at the new DNA project at Winslow Genealogy

This project was just kicked off in March of 2005. New test results are coming in each week. While you're there check out the Results section. Try clicking on the participants to see their genealogy ancestry. Also view the Conclusions section of the site for some surprising findings.

Modesty has never been a personality flaw, Stephen Winslow, project coordinator and webmaster ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 05:41:31 PM by sjwinslow » Logged
fitz-patrick

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 02:52:57 PM »

May I recommend our own website for consideration?

www.fitz-patrick.net

Thanks,

John
valeriek

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2005, 09:26:36 PM »

I would like to submit my new TAXIS Surname Y-DNA Project, at: http://www.taxisdna.com , for your consideration. We are awaiting our first results - one from Family Tree DNA, and another from Biotix (DNA-Fingerprint). The website contains a GED-COM and over 90 images of baptismal, marriage, and death records, etc., and lots more to be added. Thanks. Valerie

Valerie Karvoski
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2005, 09:40:41 PM »

Valerie, John, Stephen & Charlotte, thanks for your self nominations.  I will consider your sites when I do the next selection.

John-  I may have looked too quickly - but I did not find any mention of a DNA Project at your site.  Possibly, I wasn't specific enough, but a focus on a surname dna project is a requirement.

regards,  Terry
tjf
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2005, 05:36:19 AM »

The Jelbert Society has a very nice website - a cornish surname.  While I found that I descend from this family, I had nothing to do with the site.  tjf
Paul Sheats
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2006, 01:22:23 AM »

Just curious if anyone has updated their results page to include 59 marker results?  Yikes, does it even fit?
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2006, 11:37:52 AM »

Paul, I don't know that anyone has their results back yet.  We have 15 men who ordered the upgrade.

Here is my revised Results table, ready and waiting for the results.  (It's getting awfully wide)

http://bartonsite.org/Modals/Modals.htm

Terry
Paul Sheats
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 11:12:15 PM »

Well, that's good to know you can scroll across.  You have quite the project going.  Nice website.
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2006, 12:03:13 AM »

Paul, thanks.

We have passed our 5th anniversary;  are the 20th largest surname project and have one of the largest genetic Lineages - with 68 men in Lineage I.

Terry
genealogy buff

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2006, 02:04:39 PM »

I like the website Cheryl Gunn Maxwell's Genealogy Home Page.

Primary surnames are Gunn and Burruss families of Virginia.? Lots of information for those seeking that information on that surname.? ?www.geocities.com/cmaxwell

Has information on DNA as well.? Explains it really well.? Check it out.
Stafford-Ames Morse
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 08:44:19 PM »

Most are family sites. I have been pushing that each Surname have a Society org. See
www.MorseSociety.org  - 114 years old, 700 members, 10 full time researchers covering North America Morse/Morss/Moss, etc. Looking foward to one set up in England, etc
and www.AmesSociety.org designed after the Morse Society and www.StaffordSociety.org ,
Why such a Society, for it out lives all of us, our work is never lost and carried on forever.

elmore
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2006, 11:05:29 PM »

Someone needs to submit www.elmorefamily.com
May I do that? ?
Biscuits
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2007, 05:02:13 PM »

I'm bringing back the "featured sites" part of the website.  Please submit any new recommendations for favorite surname project websites!  Or, if you are proud of your own design, let us know about it.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 17 queries.