World Families Forums - Transfer of DNA results, discussions, files, books, etc. to WFN

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 04:26:25 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'P'
| | |-+  Pruitt
| | | |-+  Transfer of DNA results, discussions, files, books, etc. to WFN
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transfer of DNA results, discussions, files, books, etc. to WFN  (Read 315 times)
John W. Pruett

« on: July 19, 2014, 11:45:24 PM »

I would like to welcome the members who have joined our new Pruett/Pruitt/Prewitt DNA Project at World Families.  As most people know by now, our Pruett/Pruitt/Prewitt DNA Project with over 245 members is shutting down on September 30, 2014.  Bill Pruiett and I are trying to preserve the wonderful discussions, files, books, and photos we had on Ancestry for the six Family Groups we discovered through Y-DNA testing and move our information and DNA results to this new project.

Bill Pruiett has downloaded all the discussions, files, and books and organized them on what we refer to as our sister site at:
http://dna.pruiett.net/

Bill has set everything up by Family Group.  Its now very easy to find everything on a Family Group. Bill is currently working on getting the 29 photo albums on the sister site, too.

It been very hard for our members to get to our old project at Ancestry because of technical problems and url changes that weren't announced, but you can still get to our old project until September 30th at:  http://www.myfamily.com/group/60509555

Bill and I are new to the World Families system which has considerably more features than Ancestry and I hope you will be patient with us.  
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:00:55 AM by John W. Pruett » Logged

John W. Pruett
Polly Zashin

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:19:45 PM »

Hi, John, I hope you send out a "mass" email so all the ancestry.com people know to come over here and join up!  However, I'm confused.  You've got the DNA results up in a nice chart (after they seemed inaccessible over at ancestry.com), but how is it you're able to do this?  I want to order the transfer-upgrade for my cousin (James B. Pruitt, Group E), but since you've got the results up already, is there a reason to do so? Are the results you've got posted here the ancestry.com ones and so not completely compatible with results from FT?  Does he need to do an "official" transfer and the more markers thing (I'm looking at the $58 choice, but apparently he can only go from 33 to "YDNA 35 upgrade?) BUT I just talked to FT about this.  The rep. said you could transfer the entire ancestry.com group project to a FT group instead of this worldfamilies.net site.  Is there a reason you decided not to do that and instead opted for this site?  This seems more cumbersome and problematic, since a transfer directly to FT would have allowed the entire Pruitt membership to come over without having to individually sign up, as well as transferring all the other data we had at ancestry.  Also, the rep said if I order the upgrade for my cousin the results have to be hand-entered here, but if the new family project was at FT they would automatically be added to the FT Pruitt project.  So, I am really wondering about this choice?  The rep also said they have a dept. dedicated to helping with the transfer at groups@familytree.com  I'm going to email you this also because I don't know how often you're reviewing the posts in this form. . .Polly Zashin

Polly Zashin
John W. Pruett

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 12:15:01 AM »

We had a choice to go with the a Family Tree DNA Project or a World Families Project. The Family Tree Projects in my opinion are just webpages of people with DNA in a certain surname.  Its similar to the Compare DNA webpage we used to have on Ancestry. The FamilyTree projects have no discussion options or forums. There is no place to upload or download files,books, etc. Any Family Tree Kit member who join a Family Tree project does go automatically into the FT project. The VA-1600s, and R- L21 and Subclades projects, which I am in, are nothing like our Ancestry project and seem to be just tabulations of members with DNA results.. The large R- L21 Project with about 900 members had to start a project on Yahoo where people go for discussions and to upload and store files. I go to the Yahoo R-L21 everyday, but never visit the VA-1600s project.

On the other hand the World Family Project which is connected with Family Tree is more like our Ancestry project, but has a lot of additional features. It is more complicated and we are learning how to use it. Since Family Tree is apparently the only one now offering a Y-DNA test, any new FT members show up in the merge feature of the World Families Project  I can then copy their DNA to our EXCEL file which is uploaded as a webpage to the new project.

Having an Excel file of our Compare DNA results from Ancestry is a fortunate thing since Ancestry is no longer letting anyone get to this page. This file can be modified and customized unlike the DNA results on the Family Tree projects which have stricter rules.

All DNA from our Ancestry Project is in our Excel file which we control, so the answer is no one has to transfer their DNA to Family tree to remain in our six Family Groups. The future of our Project is probably based on new members being tested at FT and joining our project. As Family Tree says in the link below, the people who have the Ancestry 46 marker test are missing values when compared to people in their database. This makes the matches and genetic distances(MRCA values) hard to estimate accurately.

I hope our old members will consider transferring their Ancestry 46 marker test to the FT 37 marker test   Our members can get a new 37 marker kit sent to them from FT which normally costs $169 for $58.  The 37 marker test will allow our members to compare their DNA with the entire FT DNA database.  The 12 and 25 marker tests are a complete waste of money and should be pulled off the market.  Upgrading to the 37 marker test, might be a positive thing if you ever want to do any Deep Ancestry testing in the future to find out which country you line came from.

Family Tree has posted an answer to the question asked by those who have the Ancestry 46 marker test and want to know why they need to transfer their DNA: https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/imports/transfer-dna-heritage/already-results-y-dna33-y-dna46-panel-need-order-transfer-y-dna33-y-dna25-transfer-y-dna46-y-dna37/

The answer is the Ancestry 46 marker test is missing markers that are needed to match people in the Family Tree DNA Database.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:54:12 AM by John W. Pruett » Logged

John W. Pruett
John W. Pruett

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 02:51:58 AM »

Polly, I am going to reply to some of the things you wrote in your email.  I agree with you that The Pruett/Pruitt/Prewitt DNA Project on Ancestry,com ( http://www.myfamily.com/group/60509555) is graphically inviting and "pretty" compared to this one on WFN.  All WFN projects apparently must use the same green background.  On Ancestry we could choose our background and a bright autumn scene was chosen from the other generally dull choices.  

We can change some of the colors on the DNA Results Page and hopefully improve its looks.  Thanks for the suggestion. We will try some different versions and see if you like it better.

Do you remember the Compare DNA page on Ancestry when it was working?  I had to go there often to check markers and it was very hard to navigate to the right and tell what person you were looking at and also see what marker you were looking at.  I did not like dealing with the Ancestry Compare DNA file.

I actually find this Y-DNA results page much easier to use.  To navigate to the right on my PC, I just click anywhere on the Results Page and use the right oe left arrow key to move to the right or left  I use the starwheel to quickly go up and see the marker name.  The marker name could be put at the top of each Family Group and you wouldn't have to use the starwheel, but it would increase the length of the page.  Our Results Page uses different colors for each Family Group rather than normal white of most other WFN projects and your group did have a dull color which I just changed.  James Burton will always be the first person at the top of the your group's color since he is the reference person.  

I am in Family Group A and you asked about why other Pruitts were not on your Ancestry match list.  Only Pruetts/Pruitts/Prewitts who are within 50 MRCAs will be on your list.  Since your Haplogroup is I1 and most of the others are in R1b, the MRCA will always be over 50 so none of these R1b Pruitts will show up.  In fact we have four different R1b family lines in our Family Groups and their MRCAs are all over 50 so none of the members from one of the R1b groups will ever show up on each others match lists.

I do have a common match back in the British Isles(about 2,500 years ago) to the members of Family Group B who have done extensive Y-DNA testing.  This common ancestor's name or SNP is DF13.  I would guess this common ancestor, DF13, for me and the Group B members would also be the common ancestor for Group C and Group F members if they did extensive testing.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 04:56:25 PM by John W. Pruett » Logged

John W. Pruett
Polly Zashin

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »

John, Thank you so much for all your work.  I also appreciate your clear explanation of why no Pruitts except those of the I1 haplogroup show up in the "matches" generated by the Y test at ancestry.com.  Also, thanks for the explanation of how to navigate the DNA chart.  That's working very well! 

Polly Zashin
John W. Pruett

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 09:42:50 PM »

Polly,  the people you volunteered to help transfer their DNA might not be a large group.  It appears that the members who choose the $19 transfer will only enter their old markers in the FT DNA database, but they will not be full FT members who have a FT DNA page with FT benefits.  Actually these people will have no FT benefits at all.  Only FT staff would be able to view their results.  They would still be listed  on our Y-Results Page in their Family Group which we upload.

On the other hand, those who pay the $58 to transfer their Y-46 Ancestry markers will have to take a new FT kit test and get 5 new FT markers.  These people will have to manually enter their 43 markers from their Ancestry 46 marker test. Ancestry has 3 blank markers in their 46 marker test.  After entering their markers, they will then be members of the FT DNA Database with full benefits.  Full members get a FT DNA Page and access to their matches in the large FT DNA Database.  You also get yours and your matches' paternal origins listed by country.  Also very important is your Haplogroup group, which gives you your deep ancestral origins. The Haplogroups keep changing because of the new findings in the DNA field due to information coming from the Big-Y and other tests.  You will get unlimited updates and notifications on your matches as new people get tested and no subscription fees like Ancestry.com.

I am sure FT will publish their new Terminal SNPs for the new members.  Your Terminal SNP represents your ancient ancestor, who for R1b people, was living in the British Isles.     

Being a full member of the FT DNA database with a DNA sample may have some advantages in the future because there are some very optimistic people in the Yahoo R-L21 DNA Project, who think that one day due to recent discoveries, people will be able to trace their line through DNA back to the little hamlets where their ancestors were living in the British Isles.

John W. Pruett
Polly Zashin

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 03:38:40 PM »

John, I am willing to help those who do the $58 "upgrade" as well.  I  hope a lot of people do. . .my cousin Jim has done it, although the results aren't back yet.  The ancestry.com markers do have to be hand-entered.  I have the directions and will let you know how goes when I enter Jim's. . .I wonder if we I1 folks will eventually be able to trace back to the Viking ship that landed our ancestor in Britain. . .where he no doubt peacefully settled down with a nice Saxon girl. . .:)

Polly Zashin
John W. Pruett

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 05:39:45 PM »

Polly who knows how long your peaceful Viking ancestors stayed in the Biitish Isles after they arrived.  That first one may have settled down with one of the Viking women who sometimes traveled with them.  More likely he "married" a Saxon, Anglo, or Jute woman.  Perhaps he preferred a pretty local Celtic woman.

I noticed that the new DNA tests like the Big-Y have more mtDNA results in them.  About five years ago years ago I was classified as just H.  Now I am H5a1g and my Big-Y results aren't included in this category.  Maybe one day they will have detailed mtdna information that would tell you who your ancestor settled down with.  I read last night about an extensive and very expensive full genome DNA test where the results are sent to you on a computer hard disk because they are so large.  DNA genealogy is making some advances.            
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 05:57:06 PM by John W. Pruett » Logged

John W. Pruett
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 19 queries.