World Families Forums - Searching for Collins/Horton from Chesterfield Co. South Carolina

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 01:53:25 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'C'
| | |-+  Collins (Moderator: collinsAdmin)
| | | |-+  Searching for Collins/Horton from Chesterfield Co. South Carolina
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Searching for Collins/Horton from Chesterfield Co. South Carolina  (Read 199 times)
vljcollins

« on: July 16, 2014, 09:24:39 PM »

Here is the data from the Y-DNA test for Vernon Lee Collins, Sr. and some of my thoughts about it:
R1b1a2 R-M269 13 24 14 10 11 14 12 12 12 13 14 29
He is in Haplogroup R-M269
Don't know what the CX-1 grouping indicates
Some in the group show R-L21 instead of R-M269
I am wondering about that difference

Suspect our Collins ancestor lived in Chesterfield Co., SC and that he was married to a Horton.  Would love to discuss any of this. 

ljwcollins
Susan J. Barretta

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 07:24:28 PM »

It is difficult to try coming up with a reasonable guess for your final terminal haplogroup with just 12 markers tested.  The haplogroups you listed are all part of haplogroup R1b but are all very ancient - not within a recent genealogical timeframe.  L21 is downstream from M269, more recent, but still very ancient and not within any meaningful genealogical timeframe.

FTDNA is still in the process of straightening out terminal SNP definitions after the introduction of its Big Y test, and the process is still not complete.  

12 markers is not usually sufficient testing for finding recent relatives.  Upgrading your results and extending your marker definition out to the maximum 111 markers will not absolutely guarantee that there will be matches waiting for you at 111 but will greatly help you filter out meaningless matches at lower marker resolution.

Hope that helps.  And by the way, feel free to post a pedigree in the pedigree thread and we can move your pedigree over into the patriarchs page.

http://www.worldfamilies.net/forum/index.php?topic=4524.0

-- Susan
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:37:04 PM by Susan J. Barretta » Logged

-- Susan J. Barretta, co-administrator
"Life gets in the way of genealogy."
vljcollins

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:20:44 PM »

Thank you for the response to my posting, Susan.  I have sent an email with the information for the pedigree for Vernon Lee Collins.  I appreciate the explanations--pertaining to my questions.  Will work towards getting an upgrade for more markers.  Look forward to discovery with DNA!  Linda Collins

ljwcollins
Susan J. Barretta

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 01:09:06 AM »

Ah, Linda, for some reason I am not able to fix my email in this interface - if you email me send it to collinsdna@pobox.com.   Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:09:20 AM by Susan J. Barretta » Logged

-- Susan J. Barretta, co-administrator
"Life gets in the way of genealogy."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 18 queries.