DNA testing for genealogy results relies on finding the correct people who will do a test. That can be time-consuming and difficult. I've spent days just finding someone to ask. Then, if the person agrees, there are such things as finding funding for the test, if the individual is not the one paying, completing paperwork, and getting kits mailed back. Then, there's the wait, as the DNA is sent to the lab and the lab is processing and posting results.
What to do in the mean time?
I think the main thing is figure out "plan b." There are three recent testers who are descendants of Michael Treece, b.1759. A descendant of
- a descendant of Michael's son, Jacob b. 1784
- a descendant of Michael's son, John Jackson b. 1824
- a descendant of Michael's son, Adam b. 1827
We already have some descendants of Michael's son, George b.1787-1790, forming lineage 2 in the project. The first above already got the yDNA results back, and there was no match. The surname matched isn't like anyone else's in the TreeceDNA project.
We are still awaiting results from the second and third above. What are the possible outcomes?
Given that we know descendants of Michael's son, George, form lineage 2 in the project, I hope that the second and third above also match lineage 2. What if they don't?
- other descendants match other Treece DNA participants
- other descendants match the first above
- other descendants don't match anyone in the project
If descendants match other Treece DNA participants, we will want to find descendants of George who will test. We would like this anyway, as there are areas of the tree not yet very well established.
If descendants match the first one above, it would begin to establish a new branch at Michael's generation. We would want to see if we can find more male line descendants of Michael's brothers, to see if Michael is alone in his NPE-ness. We would also want to find more descendants of George to test.
If descendants don't match any of these choices, we'd look into the matching surname projects to see if we can come up with any new theories.
During this waiting period, the best course of action is work to find new descendants of Michael and George who may be willing to test. Depending on the results from the tests, we may need to take it down a level to George's son John and others.
For the first person above (who doesn't match others in the Treece project), we would like to get other descendants of Jacob to do DNA testing to narrow down where the new lineage starts.
We do not know all of the male lines from Michael, George, and John. They take time to research and don't always identify anyone. If you know one or more male lines, please comment or contact me, in case we need "plan b".
Other suggestions for Plan B are welcome!
treece at gsp dot org