World Families Forums - Adding Confirmed Terminal SNP's?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 08:14:48 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Y-Haplogroups
| | |-+  Adding Confirmed Terminal SNP's?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adding Confirmed Terminal SNP's?  (Read 154 times)
dgoldsmith

« on: May 02, 2014, 02:03:16 PM »

Greetings,
I have a small suggestion that might be of value.  It would be nice on the Surname Project y-results spreadsheet to reflect the most terminal CONFIRMED SNP of the participants (if known) in addition to their STR results.  Of value to me is the next level of SNP's released and benefiting from anyone who has tested these next level SNP's that match other close STR matches to me (increasing my chances of a hit). In my case what was my most detailed confirmed SNP of R-M222 has recently expanded into another layer of more specific terminal SNP's which is just a turkey-shoot to guess at if there isn't a established list of people with similar STR's to make a educated guess at a testable new SNP.

I would find value in evaluating those relative to the STR results of people that are within my surname project.

Thoughts?

Sincerely,
Dave Goldsmith (Gallagher genetic paternal lineage, kit 26071)
scotsman

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 02:32:44 AM »

Your idea is really great however from what I know about Scottish family ancestry is that most family up until 1750 that moved into an area controlled by another Chief than the one they were living under would change their name to the name of the new Chief.  For that reason if you look at any Family DNA group showing a list of the members the name may be the same however the list of SNPs is different.  In the same family with the same surname the haplotype type list may have R1a Norse, R1b Celtic, and I1 Viking all listed in the same family.

Scotsman
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 17 queries.