World Families Forums - Place not Chace

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 07:16:06 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'P'
| | |-+  Place
| | | |-+  Place not Chace
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Place not Chace  (Read 122 times)
Gkchase

« on: March 17, 2014, 12:24:22 PM »

At last I have found my home(for my paternal line).  My most distance known Paternal Line ancestor until today, March 17, 2014, was William Chase(or Chace) born in Canada West in 1841 according to the 1870 and 1880 Census and 1834 according to his Death Certificate wherein his name was spelled Chace.

After 30 years of research, that was the some total of what I knew about my great grandfather and his genealogy.

The Ancestry autosomal results just added to the mystery because the inability to match with any of what looked like a paternal line 4th cousin.

Transferring the Ancestry DNA to the FTdna Autosomal program resulted in about 200 matches including about 30 3rd and 4th cousins and a 2nd cousin - Mary Ellen Place.
Mary Ellen born in NY and both of her great grandfather born in Canada.  I had to develop her tree because she had passed way but a gentleman who was administering her results shared with me some notes.  Her paternal line Grandfather was John Wesley Place, born 1834 or 1836 in Canada West.  He came to the US sometime in the 1840s with his mother Susanah.  His father was probably desceased as his mother was remarried in the 1850 Census.

My Y Chromosome results came in Friday.  All the matches including 3 Zero Genetic Distant and 3 one Distant matches all had the surname - Place.

One of the zero distant matches is a direct descendent from William Simmons Place who was a loyalist in the Revolutionary War and had settle with British Land Grant in Stormont County Canada in the early 1800s.  His birth was in Rhode Island in about 1765.

I have at least two other autosomal matches which have lines passing through Stormount County at the appropriate time.  One has a married name of one of the daughters of William Simmons Chase.  I might not have the complete proof of the relationship, now, but that seems to be in sight.

I don't how exactly the change from Place to Chace or Chase occurred, but, I recall my father telling me that he was surprised to be in his 80s at the time, because his father, and his grandfather(William) his great grandfather had all died before their 50th birthday.  It is very plausible that William's father did die when he young and the his mother was either Chace or married a Chace.  There are plenty Chases in that immediate geographic area in Canada. 

This is great!  Now I have another mystery to solve.

Gerry Chase
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 18 queries.