World Families Forums - Corded Ware and U106?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 04:21:27 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b-U106 (Moderator: wing_genealogist)
| | |-+  Corded Ware and U106?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Corded Ware and U106?  (Read 1749 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« on: December 01, 2013, 03:51:41 PM »

My own theory regarding U106 is that it was part of the Corded Ware/Battle Axe horizon. I know that theory has not yet been supported by ancient y-dna. The only real solid Corded Ware y-dna testing, at Eulau in Germany, yielded two R1a. But I think time and more testing of Corded Ware sites will turn up some U106.

The reason I think U106 was a part of Corded Ware is that many scholars over the years have linked the early evolution of Germanic to the Corded Ware/Battle Axe horizon. Corded Ware seems to have first emerged in eastern Poland/western Ukraine and spread north and west from there. U106, last I heard, had its highest variance in Poland. And U106, very very obviously, has a strong connection to Germanic-speaking peoples. I believe that connection is of ancient standing.

I will admit, I could be wrong about the Corded Ware/U106 connection. But U106 became a part of the story of Germanic languages very early.

It has no such connection to Celtic or Italo-Celtic, which is one of the reasons I think it had little or nothing to do with Beaker. In my opinion, U106 was farther east, part of Corded Ware and the Nordic Bronze Age, and did not move as far west as the Rhine until the Germanic peoples did, about 700 BC.

What do you all think?

SEJJ

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 06:07:54 PM »

It sounds like a reasonable idea to me. It might explain why it's so sparse in areas outside the traditional Corded Ware zone (excepting some later incidences). I recall that a number of people think it was quite late on the scene in the western half of Europe. Would 700BC for the Rhine be considered 'late' in comparison to P312?

It seems to be more continental though, and seems late in both western Europe and Scandinavia, which is interesting. Maybe it was 'picked up' by Corded Ware or something, and formed a western extremity?

Y-DNA: I1*
MT-DNA: U5a1b4

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 08:28:54 AM »

It sounds like a reasonable idea to me. It might explain why it's so sparse in areas outside the traditional Corded Ware zone (excepting some later incidences). I recall that a number of people think it was quite late on the scene in the western half of Europe. Would 700BC for the Rhine be considered 'late' in comparison to P312?

It seems to be more continental though, and seems late in both western Europe and Scandinavia, which is interesting. Maybe it was 'picked up' by Corded Ware or something, and formed a western extremity?

700 BC is relatively late, but that is about the time that Germanic-speaking peoples arrived in the area of the Lower Rhine.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 17 queries.