World Families Forums - myGroups and WFN interaction?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2015, 03:41:06 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  myGroups and WFN interaction?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: myGroups and WFN interaction?  (Read 462 times)
John G.D. Beardsley

« on: February 17, 2015, 11:14:16 PM »

With FTDNA's forced and unannounced rollout of the myGroups project sites, how will our WFN project sites be affected? I imagine it is a safe bet that WFN was as blindsided by the rollout as the project admins were, so you are working on collecting your thoughts and gauging the impact.

John G.D. Beardsley
Co-Administrator
Beardsley/Beardslee Project
WikiTree ID: Beardsley-386
GEDmatch ID: FB2385
Ancestry.com Tree: JGDB-Related Family
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 11:40:25 PM »

I posted this last night on the ISOGG Forum:

I have advised FTDNA of a number of issues that seriously concern me with myGroups.  Several of those directly affect any project that displays their project information at WorldFamilies

Any project with their website listing a WorldFamilies address in their Project Profile page was supposed to have an Icon at the top of the left side bar of myGroups to allow their project members to go to their project site (Icon is our "Hosted by WorldFamilies" Icon from the WorldFamilies banner)  (See link below)

Some projects who should have the Icon do have it
    Most projects I checked who should have the Icon don't
    At least one project which shouldn't have the Icon does have it
    Sigh

I had also requested clear language on the Icon to explain that a Searcher should click on the Icon to go to the Project Site.  (That hasn't happened - the Icon says "Click Here to go to WorldFamilies".  Hmmm  - I wonder how many Searchers would figure that one out?)

I did get the Icon at Barton and have turned on myGroups to see what reaction my Project Members will have with no encouragement on my part.  And - after several hours of work, Marilyn managed to create a banner that would upload - where we explain how to get to the Barton project site

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/barton

So - if you are displaying your Project Info at WorldFamilies - hang tight.  I assume things will eventually be straightened out

Terry
John G.D. Beardsley

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 09:34:02 PM »

My project has the icon, but yesterday it led to the recLOH discussion page here in the forums, and today it returns a page not found error. Another change is that yesterday you and I were listed as admins, but not the other co-admin, and today only I am listed.

I added links to the WFN pages of my project, so members should be able to find our pages here if and/or when they wish.

John G.D. Beardsley
Co-Administrator
Beardsley/Beardslee Project
WikiTree ID: Beardsley-386
GEDmatch ID: FB2385
Ancestry.com Tree: JGDB-Related Family
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 12:05:58 PM »

I've given FTDNA a list of requested improvements to give projects displaying their  information at WorldFamilies fair and appropriate linkages to WorldFamilies instead of to the FTDNA public pages. 

Once I understand how FTDNA will deal with these requests, I will decide what info is needed on the banner image and in the "About Us" display from the FTDNA Public pages - which has become the opening view at myGroups.

My action then will be for the projects at WorldFamilies where I am sole admin or lead admin.  I'll share that info here so that any of the admins who use the WorldFamilies project site can consider if they want to do the same or similar - though they are free to handle the myGroups mandate as they see best

Terry
wing_genealogist

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 10:16:22 AM »

What is the code to place the link on the myGroups page?  I don't have the banner on my surname groups.

Y-DNA - R1b M157.2 (a private/family subclade of Z6/Z352) 111 markers tested

mt-DNA - J1c2g with the following private mutations: 315.1C 522.1A 522.2C C9974T C16256T (FMS tested and submitted to GenBank)

Autosomal - shows as a typical English ancestry. Tested with 23andMe, FTDNA
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 18 queries.