World Families Forums - Possibly connected to Robert Crawford and Elizabeth Carter of early VA.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 08:59:08 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'C'
| | |-+  CRAWFORD (Moderator: Kevan Crawford)
| | | |-+  Possibly connected to Robert Crawford and Elizabeth Carter of early VA.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Possibly connected to Robert Crawford and Elizabeth Carter of early VA.  (Read 112 times)
Christi Crawford-Partee

« on: January 22, 2014, 07:49:33 PM »

My line is proven to Anthony Crawford born c1781 in VA. Among his children he named sons Carter T., and Charles McKinney Crawford. I believe but have not proven him to be a son of Thomas Crawford who was enumerated in Rutherford Co., NC. In 1790, along with men named Isaac, Moses and James Crawford.

These same names began to appear in Warren Co., KY by 1800. In 1801 Anthony Crawford married Elizabeth Moss in Warren Co., KY. Also, in 1803, a young woman named Jane Crawford married Champion Blythe in Warren Co., KY in 1803 and Thomas Crawford gave his consent while Anthony Crawford was surety. Jane later named a son Anthony. Anthony was of an age to be a brother to Jane. By 1809, Anthony & Thomas Crawford moved to Lincoln Co., TN as did Jane and her husband Champion Blythe, as did James Clark who married Polly Crawford back in Warren Co, KY. They were all living next to one another in Lincoln Co., TN on the 1820 census.

Anthony had purchased his land in 1813 from an Isaac Crawford. Also found in the records in Lincoln Co., was a Moses Crawford. I believe that Thomas, Isaac, and Moses were all likely brothers but have no proof. Census's in 1850 indicated Anthony Crawford was born in Virginia c1781, while his likely sister Jane indicated her birth was in NC c1785. I believe Anthony Crawford and Jane Crawford-Blythe (and possibly Mary "Polly" Crawford-Clark) were all siblings, and the likely children of Thomas Crawford Sr. There are records in Warren Co, KY indicating a Thomas Sr., and a Thomas Jr. It appears that the family were likely in Virginia in and perhaps before, 1781, then moved to NC., at least by c1785, and then to Warren Co., KY by at least 1800.... Then in part to Lincoln Co., TN.

The Thomas Crawford who was living next door to Anthony Crawford in Lincoln Co., TN was in an older age group than Anthony or his likely brother-in-law Champion Blythe, so I do believe he was Thomas Sr., from Warren Co., KY, and that he made the move to Lincoln Co, TN., with his son , and where his likely brothers or nephews, Isaac and Moses had moved to.

Another line of Crawford's (descended from William Crawford and Rachel Sawyer) in part ended up in Lincoln Co, TN, as well. I have seen differing family trees on their ancestry but some show that William did descend from Robert Crawford and wife Elizabeth Carter of Surry Co., NC. Robert and wife Elizabeth are shown to have had a son named Carter Crawford who in turn also named a son Carter. This name is used again and again in my line and in the branches of my direct line.

The name of McKinney is also used in my Crawford line and I've seen where there was Barnabas McKinney family of the same area of VA where Robert Crawford and wife Elizabeth Crawford lived, & who may have a connection to Lazarus Crawford's line from VA., who I've read named a daughter Delia McKinney Crawford for her grandmother. They also made similar migration routes from VA. to NC. To TN.

It could of course be a coincidence but it appears my line, the line of Robert Crawford and Elizabeth Carter, the line of Lazarus Crawford and that of William Crawford and Rachel Sawyer,  all have similar names and migration paths. My father recently took the FTDNA male Y-DNA test. His name is Ray Farrell Crawford. His results are in but the administrator of the Crawford Project has not gotten back in touch with me to say if he matched up to anyone of this project.

I'm hoping that if any of you know how to check your results against his, you can let me know if they indicate a match. Feel free to email me if you'd like at christip2@suddenlink.net

Thank you,
Christi Crawford-Partee
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 05:36:22 PM by Christi Crawford-Partee » Logged

Christi Crawford-Partee
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 19 queries.