World Families Forums - Cousins? How Reliable?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 01:57:29 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Autosomal Block DNA Testing - "Family Finder" and "Relative Finder"
| | |-+  Cousins? How Reliable?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cousins? How Reliable?  (Read 1093 times)
Trish13
Old Hand

« on: October 15, 2013, 05:29:47 AM »

Hi :)

My brother took the FTDNA autosomal test for me and I have now had the results and  been given some names of 'cousins'. But how reliable is this information?

As a historian I know to double check information, but, as a novice regarding genetic genealogy, I simply don't know whether I should trust the DNA results or wait until I can confirm them with other research.

Could anyone with more knowledge on the subject please advise me?
That would be much appreciated. :)
Thank you.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 08:20:24 PM »

Hi :)

My brother took the FTDNA autosomal test for me and I have now had the results and  been given some names of 'cousins'. But how reliable is this information?

As a historian I know to double check information, but, as a novice regarding genetic genealogy, I simply don't know whether I should trust the DNA results or wait until I can confirm them with other research.

Could anyone with more knowledge on the subject please advise me?
That would be much appreciated. :)
Thank you.

I think you have to see if there is a paper trail connection somewhere; otherwise, if the shared blocks of autosomal dna are reasonably large, you are probably related, but you won't know how.

Trish13
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 07:56:04 PM »

Hi again :)

Thank you rms2 for your help.

The thing is that none of the names are familiar to me, yet some of the matches are described as 2nd - 4th cousins ~ and I know many of my 2nd - 4th cousins personally. The paper trail hasn't led in their direction so far.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 08:14:25 PM »

Hi again :)

Thank you rms2 for your help.

The thing is that none of the names are familiar to me, yet some of the matches are described as 2nd - 4th cousins ~ and I know many of my 2nd - 4th cousins personally. The paper trail hasn't led in their direction so far.

I have the same problem, but there are lots of holes in my family tree. I know almost nothing about my dad's mother's family, for example. I have gaps on that line big enough to drive a Mack truck through. I also don't know much about my maternal grandmother's mother's line. Same thing: big gaps, room for lots of unknown autosomal matches.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 08:14:39 PM by rms2 » Logged

Trish13
Old Hand

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 05:58:43 AM »

Yes, I suppose you are right, there, rms2. I too have large gaps :)
seferhabahir
Old Hand

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 09:09:28 PM »

I have, at last count, over 2500 "cousins" in Family Finder. This is even after the matches have been reduced due to endogamy in the Ashkenazi community. Only a handful of these are likely to be genealogically significant for me.

My take is that I usually have to add at least one to the estimated cousin relationship unless it is very close (FTDNA accurately predicted my 1st cousin and 2nd cousin). So, most of the ones that are listed as 2nd-4th cousins for me are more likely to be 3rd-5th cousins.

The most productive thing I have done is to get several cousins to splurge for the $99 Family Finder test so I can see where my "real" cousins overlap on DNA segments. To date, I have a 1st cousin, 2nd cousin, 3rd cousin, and 2nd cousin 1R in the data base. Even then, the overlapping DNA segments are hard to come by and analyze.

One of the complications is that there were are a large number of cousins marrying cousins in almost everybody's Ashkenazi family tree. For example, my 2nd cousin is twice as related to my 1st cousin (who is also that person's 2nd cousin) as she is to me. I am guessing she has a cousin relationship on my 1st cousin's maternal side (that side is not genetically related to me, but is apparently related to her). Nobody knows where that other genetic relationship lies, but the Family Finder results say it is there, and I have no reason to doubt it.

So, the bottom line is  -  test more cousins.

Y-DNA: R-L21 (Z251+ L583+)

mtDNA: J1c7a

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 18 queries.