World Families Forums - Roman DNA of Britain

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 11:03:30 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  Roman DNA of Britain
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Roman DNA of Britain  (Read 604 times)
Arch Y.
Old Hand

« on: September 18, 2013, 02:34:04 AM »

With all the noted Roman burial sites in Britain, does anybody know if there has been or will be any DNA testing for their remains? What got my attention was the headstone of a man named Gaius Mannius of the XXth Legion I believe near Wroxeter. It appears he was from Pollentia, Italy and had quite a long career in the Roman legion (some nearly 30 plus years). There is also a site in Wales that I'm interested in with a Vettone cavalry cohort from Iberia but I'm not sure if they were a subdivision attached to Caerleon or part of the XIVth or the XXth Legion. It appears they might have been stationed near the Brecon Beacons just west of Herefordshire. Would be interesting to have some subclades of the Roman officers and soldiers who arrived to Britain just after the conquest.

Arch

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:38:08 AM by Arch Y. » Logged
scotsman

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 10:37:32 PM »

I also hope there will be a move to do DNA testing on the noted Roman burial sites in Britain.  Our R1b SNP L165 terminal clade just sits on the Phylogenetic chart close to SRY2627 with no information or testing being done to link the L165 to any origin.  As I mentioned in an earlier post this SNP exists in two major clusters, the L165 English cluster in south central England and the L165 Hebredian cluster on the islands off North West Scotland and like you Arch I believe the origin will be found one day by DNA testing in one of the noted Roman burial sites you mentioned.

Scotsman
Arch Y.
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 05:51:22 AM »

With the large amount of Roman burial sites in Britain, one of them has to be a winner with some  good DNA samples - crossing fingers.

Arch
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 17 queries.