World Families Forums - Which test?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 11, 2014, 09:35:19 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Which test?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which test?  (Read 501 times)
Adnarim

« on: September 25, 2013, 09:12:47 PM »

In my maternal line my GGGGrandmother had a grandparent or great-grandparent who was Native American. This is a family history story that comes from a variety of cousins and my mother and her mother and grandmother. I have found two contemporary histories at a state archive written about Native American/white settlers relationships which confirm this family story and lists the correct surname but I have no documentation and don't know the individuals between my earliest grandmother with that surname and the event. Though this would be through my maternal line, after the 5th generation back from me, it would be through her grandfather's (or great-grandfather's) mother who was Native American. Is there a test that would help with that and, if so, which one(s)?
Miranda (Adnarim)

Miranda
poolev

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 07:52:38 PM »

In order to test for Native American ancestry, you will need to have just the right connection between the ancestor you believe was Native American and the person being tested.

Both the yDNA test and the mtDNA test will tell you your haplogroup.  The haplogroup will give you an idea of the migrations of your ancestral family from earliest times and can confirm Native American ancestry.

For a female Native American ancestor, you will use the mtDNA test.  You will need to locate a person whose mother's mother's ... mother is the targeted Native American.  If there is any male in the direct line between the person being tested and this ancestor, you will be testing some other ancestor's mtDNA and will not get what you seek.  mtDNA is passed from a mother to her children.  Men carry their mother's mtDNA, but cannot pass it on.

For a male Native American ancestor, you will use the yDNA test.  You will need to locate a man whose father's father's ... father is the targeted Native American.  If there is any female in the direct line between the man being tested and this ancestor, you will be testing some other ancestor's yDNA and will not get what you seek.  yDNA is passed from a father to his sons. Women do not carry yDNA at all.

For a step-by-step guide to the whole process, please read DNA the Smart Way http://worldfamilies.net/smart
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 18 queries.