World Families Forums - Kirkpatrick/Kilpatrick Homecoming Tour in panning stage

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 01:36:31 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'K'
| | |-+  Kirkpatrick (Moderator: kirkpatrickAdmin)
| | | |-+  Kirkpatrick/Kilpatrick Homecoming Tour in panning stage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kirkpatrick/Kilpatrick Homecoming Tour in panning stage  (Read 407 times)
Tom Caulley

« on: August 21, 2013, 01:53:44 PM »

My wife and I have just returned from a bus/motor-coach tour of Ireland.   While there the idea struck me that we could organize a one-time “Kirkpatrick/Kilpatrick Home coming Tour” of Scotland.     My idea is, unlike the standard motor coach tour where you are in a different hotel every night, we would spend up to 4 days in 3 different hotels.    I have no idea what  the price would be at this time.  I know our recent Ireland trip ran about $120/person/day + airfare (abt $1000 – 1350/per person from NY City). 

Take a look at what I’d like the tour to be and let me know if you think you might be interested (I don’t want to waste my time planning if there’s not enough interest).

We would spend 3 or 4 nights in the Glasgow area  including a city tour and  visiting Luss, the home of Clan Colquhoun, Loch Lomond,  Old Kilpatrick, an opportunity to research at the Glasgow & West of Scotland Family History Society Research Centre and Library (optional), Anotonine Wall, Glasgow’s Hunterian Museum with it’scollection of Roman artifacts from the Antonine Wall.

Then on through Closeburn  stopping at the Closeburn Parish Church and  Cemetery and a chance tosee/photograph Closeburn Castle up close and personal (I will TRY to contact the current owner and set up a tour of the castle, but I can make no promises.

From there to our next hotel in Dumfries where we would spend 3 or 4 nights. Using Dumfries as a base-of-operations I would hope to visit the site of  the original Greyfriars  Kirk  where Sir Roger Kirkpatrick killed the Red Comyn, time to research at the Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society,  visits to Caerlaverock Castle where Sir Roger Kirkpatrick was murdered, Clan Douglas’s  Hermitage Castle, Hadrian’s Wall, and the 12 Apostles Stone Circle.  Time to shop and visit the Robert Burns House and the Robert Burns Centre and  the Bridge house. 

On to Edinburgh for 3 or 4 nights where I envision us touring Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Yacht Britania, Palace of Holyroodhouse,   taking a city tour,  optional time to shop (a chance to buy your own kilt) and optional  research time at the Scottish Genealogy Society  and ScotlandsPeople Centre.

Then I see us taking a motor  coach loop through the Scottish Highlands to Loch Ness and Inverness as our final bit of sight seeing.

Tom Caulley
kirkpatrickdnagroup@yahoo.com
Terry Barton
Administrator
Guru

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:30:49 PM »

Tom, I've done much of the non-K*patrick parts you describe and it should be a great trip if you can get participation!  Touring Scotland includes some of my favorite memories - and Ive lived overseas for about 5 years.  If this was my ancestry, I would definitely want to go.

One caution - It sounds great to go from Edinburg to Inverness to Glasgow, but it is mostly miles and miles of miles and miles.  Lovely scenery, but lots of hours.  (I did it in the reverse direction in the mid-80s). We liked Loch Lomond more than Loch Ness - which could leave more time for something else. 

Granted, my experience is from about 30 years ago, and some things are bound to be different.  Maybe my comments will provoke some useful discussion.

Good luck with This!  Hope it works out.

Terry
Tom Caulley

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 04:08:36 PM »

Terry, thanks for the input.  We did the Highlands loop about 5 years ago.  We stopped at Glencoe and Ft. William, then time at Uquhart Castle & a Loch Ness cruise, then on to Inverness.

Doing the loop on the 1st full Edinburgh day,

Our coach will have a DVD player So I can play Scottish movies during the long road time.

Getting in contact w/the owners of the Kirpatrick Castle at Closeburn and MAY get permission to visit it.

Tom
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 18 queries.