World Families Forums - New P312+ SNP: DF99 (P312>DF99)

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 27, 2014, 03:42:31 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  R1b General (Moderator: rms2)
| | |-+  New P312+ SNP: DF99 (P312>DF99)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New P312+ SNP: DF99 (P312>DF99)  (Read 9717 times)
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« on: August 12, 2013, 09:56:22 AM »

There is a new P312+ SNP: DF99.

It is apparently parallel to all the other currently known P312+ SNPs.

This is one that all P312* guys - i.e., those who have tested negative for L21, U152, DF27, DF19, and L238 - should try, once FTDNA offers it for testing.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 10:05:17 AM by rms2 » Logged

GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 08:25:14 PM »

I gather it is already included in the SNP chip test offered by Britain's DNA, the successor company to Ethnoancestry.

I am told the primers DF99 have already been identified and successfully tested, and that the testing companies have been given the details.

I will be curious to see how long it takes FTDNA to offer it. It is my impression that new SNPs aren't a priority with them, and perhaps that applies to SNP testing in general.

gtc
Old Hand

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 11:04:24 AM »

I will be curious to see how long it takes FTDNA to offer it. It is my impression that new SNPs aren't a priority with them, and perhaps that applies to SNP testing in general.

I gather that individual SNP testing is a loss maker for FTDNA. They recently increased their price for it.

And I believe we're lucky that Thomas Krahn takes an interest in collecting primers for individual SNPs otherwise perhaps FTDNA would not be doing it.

Y-DNA: R1b-Z12* (R1b1a2a1a1a3b2b1a1a1) GGG-GF Ireland (roots reportedly Anglo-Norman)
mtDNA: I3b (FMS) Maternal lines Irish
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 08:14:38 PM »

I gather it is already included in the SNP chip test offered by Britain's DNA, the successor company to Ethnoancestry.

I am told the primers DF99 have already been identified and successfully tested, and that the testing companies have been given the details.

Any idea what the Britain's DNA "S" number for DF99 is and how much BDNA will charge for the test?

GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »

Any idea what the Britain's DNA "S" number is for DF99  and how much BDNA will charge for the test?

I have no idea what S number Britains DNA is giving DF99. I gather it is part of their new Chromo 2 chip test, which supposedly tests for 15,000 SNPs. It costs £189, or £129 for the raw data file only. I don't know if they're offering single SNP tests.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 08:48:02 AM »

Maybe FTDNA will offer it a la carte soon.

Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 03:37:41 PM »

Well you can order DF98 so they're not far off.

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 11:35:32 AM »

Any idea what the Britain's DNA "S" number for DF99 is and how much BDNA will charge for the test?

I am reliably informed that BritainsDNA is calling DF99 S11987. It seems like an unnecessary number of digits.

With the departure of the Krahns from FTDNA, I don't expect that company to offer DF99 anytime soon.
razyn
Old Hand

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 08:33:29 PM »

Well you can order DF98 so they're not far off.

In case anybody thinks this is a meaningful alternative -- the DF98 mutation is C to A at position 19065642; the DF99 mutation is C to A at position 8829491.  The one has nothing to do with the other, and their consecutive SNP numbers are coincidental.  The other kind of coincidence does occur, when a bunch of closely related SNP discoveries happen to be registered at once.  For example, Z195 and Z196 -- a call for one can (so far) predict the same call for the other.  They aren't the same mutation, but have been observed normally to go together.  Like white socks and white sneakers.

R1b Z196*
GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 12:33:13 PM »

My FullGenomes results have finally come in, and I am positive for DF99 as well as two other currently unnamed SNPs below DF99.

A long and frustrating wait to identify my subclade as finally ended, but because of the departure of the Krahns from FTDNA and the apparent disarray there wit SNP testing, it doesn't appear I will have many subclade compatriots anytime soon.
Jdean
Old Hand

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 01:05:38 PM »

My FullGenomes results have finally come in, and I am positive for DF99 as well as two other currently unnamed SNPs below DF99.

A long and frustrating wait to identify my subclade as finally ended, but because of the departure of the Krahns from FTDNA and the apparent disarray there wit SNP testing, it doesn't appear I will have many subclade compatriots anytime soon.

DF99 could well be the litmus paper for the future of SNP testing at FTDNA, if they fail to provide this despite Thomas having ordered the primers then we'll know we really are in trouble !!

Y-DNA R-DF49*
MtDNA J1c2e
Kit No. 117897
Ysearch 3BMC9

samIsaack
Old Hand

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 01:05:58 PM »

Congratulations! I have long associated you with P312**.. Glad to see you finally shed it.

Y-Dna: R1b-SRY2627

Mtdna: J1c8
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 06:56:51 PM »

Whoa! Eureka!

Congratulations!

Outstanding!

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 06:58:24 PM »

DF99 could well be the litmus paper for the future of SNP testing at FTDNA, if they fail to provide this despite Thomas having ordered the primers then we'll know we really are in trouble !!

There's already a lot of positive buzz about BritainsDNA's new Chromo2 test.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 07:13:53 PM »

There's already a lot of positive buzz about BritainsDNA's new Chromo2 test.

I understand from something Dr. Andy Grierson posted elsewhere that DF99 is included in BritainsDNA's Chromo2 test.

Hopefully some P312* guys will go for it.

GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 08:01:18 PM »

Unless my eyes are decieving me, DF99 is finally available to order at FTDNA. Everyone who has tested negative for the other subcldes directly below P312 (L21,U152,DF27,DF19 and L238) should definitely order it. At this point we don't know very much about it, other than it appears to be fairly old and widespread. It may or may not be the last subclade directly below P312.

A study in the Netherlands found four DF99 examples out of a sample of 500 males, or slightly under 1%. It could be more or less common in other areas. 
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 09:32:19 AM »

Unless my eyes are decieving me, DF99 is finally available to order at FTDNA. Everyone who has tested negative for the other subcldes directly below P312 (L21,U152,DF27,DF19 and L238) should definitely order it. At this point we don't know very much about it, other than it appears to be fairly old and widespread. It may or may not be the last subclade directly below P312.

A study in the Netherlands found four DF99 examples out of a sample of 500 males, or slightly under 1%. It could be more or less common in other areas. 

I hope the guys in charge of the P312 Project are sending out a bulk email encouraging P312* guys to test for DF99.

Maybe we'll know a lot more about DF99 in a couple of months.

GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 08:04:33 PM »

I hope the guys in charge of the P312 Project are sending out a bulk email encouraging P312* guys to test for DF99.

Maybe we'll know a lot more about DF99 in a couple of months.

It has been discussed, but hasn't been done yet. I have been contacting individuals who have tested P312** and a number of them have ordered it. When the results start coming in, we should have a better idea of whether DF99 is the last remaining subclade below P312, or if there are more yet to be discovered.

A quandary for the P312 project at the moment is which SNP should be recommended for those who have tested L21-,U152- and DF27-: DF19 or DF99?
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 08:50:46 AM »

It has been discussed, but hasn't been done yet. I have been contacting individuals who have tested P312** and a number of them have ordered it. When the results start coming in, we should have a better idea of whether DF99 is the last remaining subclade below P312, or if there are more yet to be discovered.

A quandary for the P312 project at the moment is which SNP should be recommended for those who have tested L21-,U152- and DF27-: DF19 or DF99?

Unless someone shows through his matches or membership in a haplotype cluster some sign that he is more likely to be positive for one than the other, I would say you would have to recommend they test for both.

rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 08:53:16 PM »

Have there been any DF99 orders yet? Anyone know?

GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 03:36:03 PM »

About a dozen from a variety of P312** individuals, plus one order for the Big Y and one from FullGenomes. There are also at least two P312** people waiting for Chromo2 results. At least one of these is likely to be DF99. The DF99 orders from FTDNA are due around the end of the year.

Once all of these are processed, we should have a much better idea how much of P312** is DF99+ and whether there is one or more STR signatures for the subclade.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 08:12:32 PM »

About a dozen from a variety of P312** individuals, plus one order for the Big Y and one from FullGenomes. There are also at least two P312** people waiting for Chromo2 results. At least one of these is likely to be DF99. The DF99 orders from FTDNA are due around the end of the year.

Once all of these are processed, we should have a much better idea how much of P312** is DF99+ and whether there is one or more STR signatures for the subclade.

I just found out today that DF99 is included in Chromo2 under the guise of S11987.

Were you aware of the S series name for it?

GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 09:36:13 PM »

I just found out today that DF99 is included in Chromo2 under the guise of S11987.

Were you aware of the S series name for it?

Yes, see my post #7 above.

An email has now gone out to all P312** individuals in the P312 Project.

A couple of more orders for it have come in.
rms2
Board Moderator
Guru

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 08:33:55 AM »

Yes, see my post #7 above.

An email has now gone out to all P312** individuals in the P312 Project.

A couple of more orders for it have come in.

Ah. I must have missed that one or forgot it.

I got an email from Dr. Jim Wilson a couple of days ago with an excel sheet listing alternative names for S series SNPs. Out of curiosity, I checked for DF99 and found S11987.

GoldenHind
Old Hand

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 05:01:59 PM »

There is both good news and bad news on the DF99 front. The good news is two results have already come in, over a month before their due date.

The bad news is both were negative. Both are of British ancestry.

We now know that DF99 is not the last subclade directly below P312. There is at least one more remaining.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 19 queries.