World Families Forums - From Scotland to Ulster

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 10:10:36 AM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  Family Boards
| |-+  Surname Projects Starting With 'M'
| | |-+  McClure (Moderator: Dennis McClure)
| | | |-+  From Scotland to Ulster
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: From Scotland to Ulster  (Read 307 times)
Doug McClure

« on: August 10, 2013, 10:49:23 AM »

It seems to me that a lot of McClures came to Ireland from Scotland during the Plantation.  I see a lot of given names in Galloway that are the same as my McClures  in Raphoe (and their descendants) had.

However, I have so far found no direct connection between the two.  I wonder if we might be able to make the connection using DNA from modern day McClures in Galloway.  That is, would we find common markers between the descendants of Ulster Scots McClures and modern Galloway McClures.
Dennis McClure

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 06:45:03 AM »

Hello Doug,

I am Dennis McClure, Admin for the McClure DNA Project. We have several DNA members living in Ireland and they have DNA results. Most have been connected to other McClures in the US and all belong to the McClure DNA Lineage 1, which about 80% of all McClures seem to fit into. We have even gone so far as to connect some in to family branches of McClures in Ireland and the US. We have as of today 147 McClures tested with at least one in Scotland, and about 6 in Ireland and a few in Australia. All with roots in Ulster. Our oldest McClure Identified by Pedigree and DNA is a Richard McClure born about mid 1600. and lived in Findrum & Convoy, Raphoe County in Ireland, with direct DNA connections to living McClures in the US, Australia, and Ireland.

I would love to chat with you more about this and your line of McClures. Have you visited the McClure DNA Project? We have many pedigree posted, almost all backed up by DNA. You can visit the project at  http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/mcclure

Have you considered a Y-DNA test? Also, I would love to post your pedigree on our Patriarch page, no DNA test required. Should you, at a later date, do a DNA test we will link your pedigree to your Y-DNA.

You will see my name at the bottom of our project home page , just click that and we can chat more about this via e-mail. I will also send you a private note with my personal e-mail address. I look forward to talking with you.

Dennis McClure, Admin McClure DNA Project

http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/mcclure
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 19 queries.