World Families Forums - European contribution to Mitochondrial DNA data... add your success story

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 09:02:59 PM
Home Help Search Login Register

+  World Families Forums
|-+  General Forums - Note: You must Be Logged In to post. Anyone can browse.
| |-+  Mitochondrial DNA
| | |-+  European contribution to Mitochondrial DNA data... add your success story
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: European contribution to Mitochondrial DNA data... add your success story  (Read 964 times)
Michael M. van Beuren

« on: August 01, 2013, 07:17:51 AM »

I am interested in extending my maternal line research prior to my last known, direct-line, maternal ancestor born in England (Lucy Baillie b. 1630 Kingston, Witshire)
I'm encouraging any readers of this post to comment about their experiences of how English and European matches of their mDNA led to finding other individuals to add to their own trees.

The great time span {nearly 400 years} pretty much precludes getting samples from confirmed relatives of such great antiquity.
also:
Am I mistaken in my assumption that since there are relatively few mDNA types then there isn't much value in using mDNA as a research tool to establish direct ancestry?

Still.... a fascinating area of research though...

I my own case: Were I to travel to modern-day Kingston, Witshire, area and convince a sizable pool of females to test for mDNA, I might suppose to get a good number of matches... This, in itself, wouldn't lead me to conclude much of anything, would it?

... Or am I proverbially,barking up the wrong family tree ?

For my purposes, I would have to find out if Lucy Baillie had a brother and follow the Y-chromosome.... bUT (!) WHat about this "5-generation" limit... I'm way beyond that here. Lucy was my 9th great grandmother.... How would a y-chromosome database help me here (beyond 5 generations)?

Mike van Beuren
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 18 queries.